BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-19-2014, 04:19 PM   #1
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

ECS 1M Rotors?

Anyone used these replacement ECS Tuning rotors?
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-1_M...ors/ES2712810/

They are not full-floatong, but wondering if they cope better with the heat than the very average OE rotors?

The other option are the PFC full floating rotors, but they only make fonts kits, not rears. The PFC also look too aftermarket (http://www.hpashop.com/Performance-F...C-DD-1M-M3.htm)
Attached Images

01-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #2
Splinterz88
First Lieutenant

Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.21]
PFC has a newer version of the Direct Drive Rotors coming out called V3. Not sure if they are going to be released in 1M/M3 fitment. Are you having problems coping with heat with OEM? I'm replacing mine with OEM until V3 comes out.
#446 of 740
Splinterz88 is offline   United_States
      01-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #3
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
PFC has a newer version of the Direct Drive Rotors coming out called V3. Not sure if they are going to be released in 1M/M3 fitment. Are you having problems coping with heat with OEM? I'm replacing mine with OEM until V3 comes out.
I am on my 3rd set of fronts and 2nd rears replaced under goodwill warranty. BMW said no more now, as will not cover brakes for cars that are tracked.

OE rotors can't take the heat, but BMW will never admit that. The M3 doesn't have the issue as the air flow is better.

PFC V3's are essentially the same as the current PCF. V3's just have an easier design to quickly fit and torque the rings to the hat.
      01-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
kirkbar
Private

Drives: 2008 135i Auto

I have these on my 135i for about a year now. No complaints but then I do not track my car. With harder pads(ceramics) - I did have a noise issue but since I went back to Pagid red pads - no noise.
kirkbar is offline   United_States
      01-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel

Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I am on my 3rd set of fronts and 2nd rears replaced under goodwill warranty. BMW said no more now, as will not cover brakes for cars that are tracked.

OE rotors can't take the heat, but BMW will never admit that. The M3 doesn't have the issue as the air flow is better.

PFC V3's are essentially the same as the current PCF. V3's just have an easier design to quickly fit and torque the rings to the hat.
I beg to differ -- but I am running cooling ducts (with backing plates) to my front brakes and also am using titanium shims.

Nonetheless, when I'm no longer able to buy slightly used stock rotors, I do plan to upgrade to the PFC Direct Drive pieces.

Neil
      01-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #6
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
I beg to differ -- but I am running cooling ducts (with backing plates) to my front brakes and also am using titanium shims.

Nonetheless, when I'm no longer able to buy slightly used stock rotors, I do plan to upgrade to the PFC Direct Drive pieces.

Neil
Hey Neil, cooling ducts for 1M? Please share
      01-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel

Quote:
Hey Neil, cooling ducts for 1M? Please share
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=cooling+ducts

Neil
      01-21-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Thanks Neil. Did you also remove the pad dust shield? Seems a waste of time and further reduces air flow
      01-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #9
MDORPHN
Colonel

Quote:
Thanks Neil. Did you also remove the pad dust shield? Seems a waste of time and further reduces air flow
Yes, they must be removed in order to install the backing plates.

Neil
      01-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Yes, they must be removed in order to install the backing plates.

Neil
So you think running without the dust shield would increase cooling?

Else I wonder if the F30 backing plate would work? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=1
      01-21-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
ZIPNBYE
Let's save military ranks for those who earn it!

Drives: ...on the Ragged Edge

Garage List
I plan on going to these when my oem rotors and pads are done. Given a full summer of track events coming up, I expect that soon.
2011 BMW 1M Coupe (#205/220) -- Valencia Orange
2009 BMW 135i M-Sport Coupe -- Space Grey (sold)
2007 Mazda MX-5 PRHT Supercharged -- Stormy Blue Mica
ZIPNBYE is offline   Canada
      01-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPNBYE View Post
I plan on going to these when my oem rotors and pads are done. Given a full summer of track events coming up, I expect that soon.
Will report back how they are. Will also fit the F30 backing plate.

The ECS rotors have more than double the vanes compared to stock rotors, although the same semi-floating design does still concerns me.
      01-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #13
MDORPHN
Colonel

Quote:
So you think running without the dust shield would increase cooling?

Else I wonder if the F30 backing plate would work? http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...01&postcount=1
Running without the dust shield may help a bit. But you really want the fresh air ducted to the center of the rotor so it then radiates out between then vanes.

No idea about the F30 backing plate, but -- as I referenced in the linked thread -- Bimmerworld make a very nice piece that does the job well.

Neil
      01-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
HP Autosport

Drives: E82 1M
Location: Santa Barbara, AST, Brembo, Eibach, H&R, GIAC, Koni, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinterz88 View Post
Their current DD rotors work well. The V3 has not been officially released for the BMW applications, but will happen in 2014 according to PFC.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
      01-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
ayao
Thread killer

Quote:
Anyone used these replacement ECS Tuning rotors?
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-1_M...ors/ES2712810/

They are not full-floatong, but wondering if they cope better with the heat than the very average OE rotors?

The other option are the PFC full floating rotors, but they only make fonts kits, not rears. The PFC also look too aftermarket (http://www.hpashop.com/Performance-F...C-DD-1M-M3.htm)
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933245
      01-28-2014, 04:06 PM   #16
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Thanks. Ordered and will install this weekend and report back. They should be cooler that the POS BMW rotors

Last edited by Ian///M; 01-28-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Ian///M is offline   No_Country
      01-28-2014, 06:25 PM   #17
HP Autosport

Drives: E82 1M
Location: Santa Barbara, AST, Brembo, Eibach, H&R, GIAC, Koni, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag,

I'll be interested in hearing your feed back on these ECS rotors.

The PFC DD's are a very robust design and proven on and off the race track so you can't really go wrong there.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
      01-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #18
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
I'll be interested in hearing your feed back on these ECS rotors.

The PFC DD's are a very robust design and proven on and off the race track so you can't really go wrong there.
PFC would have been better and I would have gone with PFC if they made a rear set too. Didn't want odd rotors & price was also a factor.
      01-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
PeteA
Lieutenant

Drives: 135i

Don't even bother with F30 backing plates. 1M wheels are 8.5"? wide, it's not going to do jack-all in additional cooling for the rotors. Would work fine on a stock 135i 7.5" wheels im sure.

PFC are awesome, but way too expensive (for me). I was quoted from an AUS distributor 10k for a set of front and rear. Rather go Stoptechs as a given their amazing pad selection range for half the price.
      01-28-2014, 07:10 PM   #20
Ian///M
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
Don't even bother with F30 backing plates. 1M wheels are 8.5"? wide, it's not going to do jack-all in additional cooling for the rotors. Would work fine on a stock 135i 7.5" wheels im sure.

PFC are awesome, but way too expensive (for me). I was quoted from an AUS distributor 10k for a set of front and rear. Rather go Stoptechs as a given their amazing pad selection range for half the price.
Yes, had a look at the 1M backing plate and very similar to F30's, so no benefit swapping.

After tech discussions with ECS, I'm confident their rotors will run cooler.
      01-28-2014, 08:58 PM   #21
ozinaldo
Colonel

[quote=PeteA;15350757] ... 1M wheels are 8.5"? wide.../QUOTE]

9" front and 10" rear.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, P3Cars, OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
      01-28-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
MDORPHN
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteA View Post
I believe that we're talking only about the PFC Direct Drive rotors, not about calipers.

I may be wrong, but can't believe that the rotors are 10K in AUS.

Neil