BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-23-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
Dung8
Rep
Drives: Bmw 1M

Newbie from UK

Hello Everyone,

New member here, never really taken part in forums but want to change that!

Picked up my black 11 plate 1m with 7,000 miles on the clock a little over 10 days ago and already put 1,000 on it!

First thoughts, I love how driver focused it is, coming from a scirocco r with dsg the transmission got some getting used to, but its now love...
Also, I have only driven FWD cars, so the 1m gave me a shock in the rain! I am going to take it to a couple of track days to find the limits of the car.

I did notice a 'thump' when changing gear from 1st to 2nd, but my dealer assures me this is normal.

Planning on colour coding it a bit more, already have the black grills, trying to contact IND about a couple of parts. As far as power goes, I am content atm, but in due course will look into a DMS remap.

Just seen the recent wales thread, if there are any members in the Surrey area please feel free to contact me!

Pictures will follow! As soon as I work out how to do it...

Thanks for reading

D
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Dung8
Rep

pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Welcome to the Forum and 1M ownership. BSM 1Ms are just great. I find Scirocco R as a nice sporty car, probably best choice from VW and makes so much more sense than a TT, it has great exterior design. Just a friendly advice, take it easy with the 1M before you start pushing it or adding more power since it is a whole different kind of beast that can bite. And when you really need to add power you better add more and better tires too. Welcome again and enjoy.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 05:30 AM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Congrats and welcome to the merry ///M Land !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Just a friendly advice, take it easy with the 1M before you start pushing it or adding more power since it is a whole different kind of beast that can bite. And when you really need to add power you better add more and better tires too. Welcome again and enjoy.
+1

The 1M can be snappy in treacherous road conditions (and Autumn just kicked off). Do leave all the nannies on/active at this stage - resist the Siren call of "MDM mode" and "DSC off" (you will have plenty of occasions in the future to toy with those, as well as with extra power mods). No offence, but only common sense: got to learn to walk properly before considering running.

The 1M sometimes gets nicknamed or typecasted 'pocket rocket', so get to know its characteristics and concept/layout and do not let it explode in your hands.
      09-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi Dung8

If you have any questions about the DMS map, please feel free to ask (they've mapped my car). Oh and if you want the black side repeaters, there are a few UK members on here who have used a local sprayer (not too far from you) who can change the colour of your existing ones. This is quite a bit cheaper than ordering new ones from aboard as you don't get stung for the huge import taxes
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
jan9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: NA

Welcome,glad you are enjoying the car! Look forward to meeting you at one of our mini-meets!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
as7920
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2023 SG/FR M4 xDrive Competiti

Welcome to the forum mate and congrats on your purchase.

Very handsome machine you have there

Looks like same dealer I got mine through, saw a BSM 1M on their stock list recently, guess that must now be yours!

I'm in Woking and attended the Wales meet which was my third. It would be a pleasure to meet up and perhaps roll up to the next one.

Cheers

Mark.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Welcome to the forum Dung8
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #9
tach9
Private
Rep
Drives: V.O. 1M

Welcome...ENJOY!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
Dung8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
Welcome to the Forum and 1M ownership. BSM 1Ms are just great. I find Scirocco R as a nice sporty car, probably best choice from VW and makes so much more sense than a TT, it has great exterior design. Just a friendly advice, take it easy with the 1M before you start pushing it or adding more power since it is a whole different kind of beast that can bite. And when you really need to add power you better add more and better tires too. Welcome again and enjoy.
I certainly won't be exploring the car on the roads, certainly in a wet and windy england!
Thank you for all the advice.

I am in between locations, Reigate and Guildford, and would love to attend meets etc

@ChrisBuer
Thanks, as mentioned i think i may have to get used to the car more before i explore a remap, but thanks alot! I gather it made a big difference!??
Well I have emailed IND with my details and they were drawing up a quote for me, but if there is a business nearby that can offer the same finish, that would be great!!
What company is this that is being used?

@ozinaldo
The scirocco was a wonderful car to look at, but i found all that power through the front wheels to be too much, so in my eyes, wasnt the car for me.

@as7920
I gather it must have been, the guildford vines. That would be great, I have yet to see another 1M on the road even though i gather there are a couple close by!! Certainly gathers attention!!

Thanks alot for all the replies!

Dung8
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:59 PM   #11
Dung8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sladeywadey View Post
hello from another Woking 1M owner..

sounds like we need a local mini-meet..

sounds good

im in guildford from next week
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 05:01 AM   #12
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep

Not wanting to put a damper on things, but I hope you were told by the dealer who sold it to you that the car was one of the original press cars loaned out to the magazines and TV programmes to play with? On your documented spec sheet is should say "Press Preparation".

YH11 NUE (yours)
YH11 GOX
YH11 GKY
YH11 MJK
YH11 OHR
YH11 NUE
YH11 GPF
YH11 FXC
YH11 HDJ
YH11 FAU
YJ60 DZO

I see some of them, including the two that Top Gear thrashed the arses off (one they smashed the front splitter to bits!) are still for sale on dealer forecourts, and in the past week they have removed the "press preparation" bit from the spec sheets.

Last edited by kmpowell; 09-26-2012 at 05:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Dung8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpowell View Post
Not wanting to put a damper on things, but I hope you were told by the dealer who sold it to you that the car was one of the original press cars loaned out to the magazines and TV programmes to play with? On your documented spec sheet is should say "Press Preparation".

YH11 NUE (yours)
YH11 GOX
YH11 GKY
YH11 MJK
YH11 OHR
YH11 NUE
YH11 GPF
YH11 FXC
YH11 HDJ
YH11 FAU
YJ60 DZO

I see some of them, including the two that Top Gear thrashed the arses off (one they smashed the front splitter to bits!) are still for sale on dealer forecourts, and in the past week they have removed the "press preparation" bit from the spec sheets.
No I wasn't aware, and wasn't made aware. What negatives does a press preped car have? other than it being thrashed around a track. Should i complain

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
mogli882
Rep
Drives: 3 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung8 View Post
No I wasn't aware, and wasn't made aware. What negatives does a press preped car have? other than it being thrashed around a track. Should i complain

Thanks
If I was in your position I would have a chat with the dealer - it should have been disclosed imo.

Have you tried searching for your plate online? A while back I read about a guy who had bought a Cayman only to find out (post purchase) that it had been thrashed around on Fifth gear...he found that out by accident, complained and got a full refund. The dealership assured him that as a result of it being a press car it had to go through extensive work to ensure it was as new....but you have to be careful.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Dung8
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogli882 View Post
If I was in your position I would have a chat with the dealer - it should have been disclosed imo.

Have you tried searching for your plate online? A while back I read about a guy who had bought a Cayman only to find out (post purchase) that it had been thrashed around on Fifth gear...he found that out by accident, complained and got a full refund. The dealership assured him that as a result of it being a press car it had to go through extensive work to ensure it was as new....but you have to be careful.
I am sorry to be naive, but what exactly would I discuss with him? I have no experience in buying a press prep car so don't no what to say? Just that it has probably been thrashed?

Where do I search for my plate? a simple google check reveals nothing.

Again sorry for my naivety!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #16
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dung8 View Post
No I wasn't aware, and wasn't made aware. I gather 'press preparation' means it was loaned out to magazines etc? What negatives does a press preped car have?

Thanks
Exactly right. Your car was loaned out by BMW HQ (for whom it was originally registered) probably to the motoring press for test reviews and/or for individual/potential/speculative customers to try etc

A quick Google search sees your car was most definitely loaned out by BMW HQ at the start of June... http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...490.18660&nmt= (see post 12 on the linked page)

To be fair, as there's no photo evidence of your car on the web, your car may not have been loaned out for test drive reviews, but it certainly was registered and owned by BMWHQ who loaned it out at some point so the chances are it may have had some 'spirited' test driving. I wouldn't worry too much though, your car has relatively low mileage in comparison to cars like GOX which was loaned out to Top Gear etc and went on sale with 25-30k hard miles on the clock!

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a doom monger, but I thought it only right you should know the history of the car given they are not cheap, purely becasue I've noticed the press cars are struggling to be sold so the dealers are removing the press prep monika on them.

As mogli882 says, a quick call to the dealer you purchased it from would be my advice also. Make sure they send you something in writing (email is fine) stating they are 100% happy the car was fully checked, and any items such as break pads (that would have been worn hard) were replaced etc before they put it on sale. Furthermore get them to state they will not use the fact it was a press car against you should any warranty work be required.
      09-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dung8, i wouldn't worry about it, nicely loosened off. Just enjoy the car, they are tougher than people think.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #18
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep

A bit more digging finds the car was loaned for testing/review by BMW HQ to a Pistonheads user called Kanaga, see his post at the bottom of this page, along with pics of your car...

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...+spotted&mid=0

As Upturn666 says, in your case I don't think it's not anything to worry about (if it were GOX it would be a different matter!), but if it were me I'd certainly want that written reassurance from the dealer, because press cars are generally treated harder.

Last edited by kmpowell; 09-26-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
kmpowell
Private First Class
England
Rep

Another update (sorry, I'm bored in work so I'm digging around on this issue to help fill in the gaps)...

When BMW first launched the 1M some dealer networks were loaned a 1M from BMW HQ for a limited period of time (1 or 2 weeks). The dealers were allowed to loan these cars to prospective customers etc.

After a bit of digging it looks like your car was loaned to Sytner group at some point, who in turn loaned it out to prospective customers for extended test drives (Kanaga being one of them). It also appeared in Canary Wharf a few weeks later for a Photoshoot.

With that in mind, it might not have ever made it out to the motoring press, but it was certainly a BMW UK loan/press car.

Does it still wear the "BMW UK" number plates or have they been changed for dealer named plates?

Last edited by kmpowell; 09-26-2012 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

One positive thing about being a press car is that these cars always seem to "run" better than the regular production cars. Everything has been tweaked for more performance and sometimes they even have extras that did not make it on production cars for that country.

As long as your car is in good shape... and you have a full warranty I really would not worry too much. Maybe you can talk your dealer into extending your warranty or give you a few thousand on a gift card or something. ?

Still... you fell in love with this car, you made a deal you felt good with. Does the car being a press car really change all of that? It will not hurt to ask for something in return... but its not the end of the world - you know.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
One positive thing about being a press car is that these cars always seem to "run" better than the regular production cars. Everything has been tweaked for more performance and sometimes they even have extras that did not make it on production cars for that country.

As long as your car is in good shape... and you have a full warranty I really would not worry too much. Maybe you can talk your dealer into extending your warranty or give you a few thousand on a gift card or something. ?

Still... you fell in love with this car, you made a deal you felt good with. Does the car being a press car really change all of that? It will not hurt to ask for something in return... but its not the end of the world - you know.
interesting.... vewwry vewwry interesting! (input best elmer fudd voice here )
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #22
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I would not worry about it much. Enjoy the car in good health. It has low miles and you still have a full warranty on it. If any spirited driving damaged anything it would probably pop up whilst it's still under warranty.
Appreciate 0