BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #45
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
mlhj83's Avatar
United Kingdom
24
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Have just sent you guys the link to possible accommodation via PM.

Picked this as it's close to Douglas, secluded and much cheaper than staying in a hotel, especially if we book the 3-bedroom houses. Haven't stayed there myself, but reviews have been good. Works out to approx. 50-70 per person for 3 nights depending on how many are sharing per house, which is pretty cheap, or we could just split the entire cost evenly amongst everyone to make it fair. Any suggestions welcomed. Any updates on ferry crossings?

Here's the link to the poll.
http://doodle.com/xvfq9tm6mz3ez7ed

Last edited by mlhj83; 10-02-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #46
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

I really fancy that, looks real nice .....
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #47
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Yorks

iTrader: (0)

That looks good to me but as a comparison there is availability at the Empress hotel on Douglas prom, this would be aprox 100 each for the 3 nights but includes an excellent buffet breakfast. I can recommend it as I have stayed many times, also a good bar and walking distance from town pubs and restaurants. But I will fit in with others if other accommodation is prefurred.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #48
Jaw_F430
Private
Jaw_F430's Avatar
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upturn666 View Post
That looks good to me but as a comparison there is availability at the Empress hotel on Douglas prom, this would be aprox 100 each for the 3 nights but includes an excellent buffet breakfast. I can recommend it as I have stayed many times, also a good bar and walking distance from town pubs and restaurants. But I will fit in with others if other accommodation is prefurred.
Whats the parking like?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #49
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
2
Rep
154
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 1m v/a
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Northampton

iTrader: (0)

This all looks cool I will go with the majority I'm a sheep! Others lead I follow don't get any funny ideas Shane
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #50
Tamara
Private
Tamara's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Have just sent you guys the link to possible accommodation via PM.

Picked this as it's close to Douglas, secluded and much cheaper than staying in a hotel, especially if we book the 3-bedroom houses. Haven't stayed there myself, but reviews have been good. Works out to approx. 50-70 per person for 3 nights depending on how many are sharing per house, which is pretty cheap, or we could just split the entire cost evenly amongst everyone to make it fair. Any suggestions welcomed. Any updates on ferry crossings?

Here's the link to the poll.
http://doodle.com/xvfq9tm6mz3ez7ed

Hello,

Accommodation looks good

Looked at crossings on http://www.aferry.com/ which includes Steam Packet co. I looked at the 29.11 weekend:

Heysham out at 14.15 on Thursday 29th and 8.00 back on Sunday to Birkenhead - as Jana suggested - seem the only suitable options. Heysham is further North to get to than Birkenhead but there are no crossings out from Birkenhead during the week (and there are no crossings at all from Liverpool during Nov to March) so that's it really. The cost for 2 people and a vehicle is 205 , fairly sizeable.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #51
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
mlhj83's Avatar
United Kingdom
24
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Have just sent you guys the link to possible accommodation via PM.

Picked this as it's close to Douglas, secluded and much cheaper than staying in a hotel, especially if we book the 3-bedroom houses. Haven't stayed there myself, but reviews have been good. Works out to approx. £50-70 per person for 3 nights depending on how many are sharing per house, which is pretty cheap, or we could just split the entire cost evenly amongst everyone to make it fair. Any suggestions welcomed. Any updates on ferry crossings?

Here's the link to the poll.
http://doodle.com/xvfq9tm6mz3ez7ed

Hello,

Accommodation looks good

Looked at crossings on http://www.aferry.com/ which includes Steam Packet co. I looked at the 29.11 weekend:

Heysham out at 14.15 on Thursday 29th and 8.00 back on Sunday to Birkenhead - as Jana suggested - seem the only suitable options. Heysham is further North to get to than Birkenhead but there are no crossings out from Birkenhead during the week (and there are no crossings at all from Liverpool during Nov to March) so that's it really. The cost for 2 people and a vehicle is £205 , fairly sizeable.
Yep, the ferry isn't cheap, but hopefully we save via accommodation. If we choose the accommodation I've suggested, and get 2-3 3-bedroom houses and pack in 6 people in each house, it'll bring cost down to approx. £50 per person for 3 nights, which goes someway to offsetting the ferry costs, plus we can cook our own food in the houses, which would be fun I suppose. If someone could find even cheaper crossings or accommodation, all the better.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #52
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
mlhj83's Avatar
United Kingdom
24
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Just re-checked. Steam Packet company quotes 186.50 for Heysham 1415 29th Nov and Birk 0800 2nd Dec for 2 passengers and a car.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #53
Tamara
Private
Tamara's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: 1M VO
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quite possible, when I looked earlier, I think I got another figure again - but its that ball park figure

Of course, we could always car share as that would not only save a bit of money but the Planet too!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #54
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmatt View Post
This all looks cool I will go with the majority I'm a sheep! Others lead I follow don't get any funny ideas Shane
Aussie mate, not a Kiwi or Welsh
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #55
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhj83 View Post
Yep, the ferry isn't cheap, but hopefully we save via accommodation. If we choose the accommodation I've suggested, and get 2-3 3-bedroom houses and pack in 6 people in each house, it'll bring cost down to approx. £50 per person for 3 nights, which goes someway to offsetting the ferry costs, plus we can cook our own food in the houses, which would be fun I suppose. If someone could find even cheaper crossings or accommodation, all the better.

That does work I recon, I am all for saving some on accommodation and don;t mind sharing, self cooking works also to keep the price down as it's all about the driving
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #56
jan9
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
241
Posts

 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Place looks good Marcus! I'm all for sharing. Unlikely my wife will be coming on this trip so one less person to fit in. My cooking skills are limited to say the least!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #57
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Place looks good Marcus! I'm all for sharing. Unlikely my wife will be coming on this trip so one less person to fit in. My cooking skills are limited to say the least!
You said you can bake up a good banana bread
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #58
jan9
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
241
Posts

 
Drives: NA
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Well I don't count baking as cooking! Simple baking is just follow the recipe and you'll hardly ever go wrong. Good cooking on the other hand is an art

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
You said you can bake up a good banana bread
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #59
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan9 View Post
Well I don't count baking as cooking! Simple baking is just follow the recipe and you'll hardly ever go wrong. Good cooking on the other hand is an art

Still cooking mate, it goes in the oven....... unless you are trying to get out of any cooking duties, which is what I am really good at
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #60
h-manuk
Private
h-manuk's Avatar
United Kingdom
5
Rep
217
Posts

 
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Still cooking mate, it goes in the oven....... unless you are trying to get out of any cooking duties, which is what I am really good at
Does a microwave meal count as cooking then?
__________________
Current mods: Forge FMIC, N55 Midpipe, Alcantara Steering Wheel, OEM 2012 LCI Black lines, BMW Performance grilles and pedals, KW DDC
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:15 AM   #61
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Yorks

iTrader: (0)

there,s an M&S on the Island so we wont starve. Ready meals are a saviour
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #62
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-manuk View Post
Does a microwave meal count as cooking then?
You will be putting on the apron mate, we can see you in bachelors action cooking up a feast for us all




Quote:
Originally Posted by Upturn666 View Post
there,s an M&S on the Island so we wont starve. Ready meals are a saviour
stuff ready meals, my wife cooks real well
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #63
Upturn666
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
35
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: May 2012
Location: North Yorks

iTrader: (0)

Aussie, even better.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #64
Jaw_F430
Private
Jaw_F430's Avatar
0
Rep
71
Posts

 
Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Pot Noodle?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #65
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
mlhj83's Avatar
United Kingdom
24
Rep
1,035
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Have just updated the maps with a local supermarket (Shoprite) that sources local produce. It's located very near to our intended accommodation and here's a decent local fish monger where we can get manx lobsters, which is only 3-4 miles away.

http://www.paddysfish.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #66
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

With the self contained units. we can buy fresh and cook up a bit of a feast..........Now I am liking the sound of this trip even more so
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST