|05-05-2014, 02:36 PM||#1|
The most complete Escort 9500ci including DYI Mirror install ever seen!
So after scouring the internet looking for a complete install guide on the 9500Ci and couldn't find it. (Especially on the DYI Mirror mod) I decided I would document and post the complete guide once and for all. I did this on my 2011 BMW 135i.
So lets get started.
First off, get prepped, and get your tools out,
1. here is what you will need
-Drill w/Star Key Bits for the bmw
-Razor Blades and Exacto-Knife
-Wire Cutters / Splice Tubbing and electrical tape.
-Double sidded mounting tape.
- A coat hanger (or wire runner)
2. Remove the front Bumper.
3. Remove Inside Paneling In car on the drivers Side. Nothing needs to be removed from on the passenger side unless you are trying to tap the fuse box which I did not do (I'll explain why later)
3. Mount Laser Shifters and Radar Detector Unit. Make sure they are even and leveled. (I used a mini leveler with double sided tape)
4. I cut my grill so my unit could have a clear and unobstructed view of the road.
5. Run wires to firewall (use zip ties and cable protector). Make sure to keep wires away from hot areas, here is how i did mine.
6. Run Wires through fire wall. Use a coat hanger and tape cords through it and pull it through. BE CAREFUL.
7. Run Wires for GPS Unit
(***Note I took out the middle light consul from the back seat, run wires there, then to drivers side moulding and routed all the way back to the escort computer which is being placed behind the stereo wall on the drivers side accessible by removing the bottom plate above the pedals.)
8. Install USB Cable Mod. Here is how I did mine.
(You will need a dremmal drill for this.) Also to line it up, I used Pink nail polish, painted the out side of the USB input, placed it on the Vinyl where I wanted the cutout and wallah, perfect cut line.
9. Now to wire this baby. I tapped the wires behind the stereo unit. Here's why. It was hard to find an accessory off wire, so if you use the ones behind the stereo, the system will stay on after you shut the cur down, but powers down automatically about 10 minutes after you walk away from the car and lock the doors. You have the option of running a hard wire through the fuse box, but I skipped it as I did when I had blinder laser jammers on my old 135, it works perfectly, and I never had a problem with it. Here are the colors.
SOLID BROWN IS THE GROUND WIRE
GREEN/RED STRIPE IS THE 12V Constant
10. Now for the mirror. Warning this is vary hard to do, if your not handy, mount this read out display somewhere else. (They usually charge $500 bucks to install like this.)
a. Remove mirror.
b. Once plate is removed like picture above, turn the whole mirror counter clockwise and it will pop off.
c. Disconnect wiring harness.
d. Remove plastic mirror moulding trim. Try not to mash yours up like I did mine. Start in the bottom left corner.
e. Very carefully take guts out of mirror, and disconnect wires
f. Cut plastic moulding to make room for escort display face.
g.Cut plastic moulding from homelink encasement too.
****There should be just enough room to get display in the bottom left corner of the mirror. You will need to cut-out and remove the black tape covering the mirror just enough so the escort display can be seen through the other site. Here is what it looks like once it's placed from the back.
h. Cut the escort display wire (you will need to re-splice) and run them through the back of the mirror along side the stock harness. There should be just enough room to fit it all through. **** Note -- The stock escort diplay wire will not be long enough to run back to your main interface. So you will need an extension. I used the "Radio-Mute" cable since I will not be adding that feature in to my car. If you want both, you are going to need to take a trip to the electric store now Other wise, re-splice with the radio mute wire after you have run it all through the mirror housing.
I. Tape the back of the escort display back to the mirror and re-assemble making sure the newly in stalled display does not shift in the process.
J. Put mirror back in to car going clock wise this time to re-connect.
11. Test the system and see how it looks in the mirror.
12. Run mirror wires all the way to the escort interface.
13. Install the speaker. Here is how I did mine.
14. Install LED / Warning light. Here is how I did mine.
15. Patch it all up and your done!!!! Enjoy!
Almost forgot. I mounted my controls next to my iDrive buttons, it wasn't the cleanest location but the most functional because my hand is there any way, so ignoring some clean installs on the location of this button, after driving the car around for the past week or so, I am very happy I put it here!!!!
Last edited by aefwolf; 05-12-2014 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Updates
|05-05-2014, 04:35 PM||#2|
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Add [img]URL.jpg[/img] tags and it will be the best guide ever.
2012 BMW 128i 6MT Deep Sea Blue Metallic
FX-R Bi-Xenon Projectors With 5000k Bulbs & Halo's More Kick Ass Than Any BMW
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|