BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Better 1M clutch?

What are people using for a clutch upgrade on thier 1M's? I am running a stage 2+ ots cobb tune, and don't plan on adding more power. The car is a daily driver, so I don't want chatter but a stiff pedal is okay.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #2
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
210
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I just bought a BMW F10 550i clutch and pressure plate, should get installed in October. It holds more torque (550i has up to 500 ft-lb depending on trim level) and feels stock according to those who have used it.
Appreciate 1
      09-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #3
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

I read about that one.... this one sounds similar

https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-1_M_Coupe-N54_3.0L/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES3103518/
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
1763
Rep
4,435
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie
I just bought a BMW F10 550i clutch and pressure plate, should get installed in October. It holds more torque (550i has up to 500 ft-lb depending on trim level) and feels stock according to those who have used it.
Wait, so the 550 clutch will work with the 1M flywheel?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
210
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Wait, so the 550 clutch will work with the 1M flywheel?
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
1763
Rep
4,435
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Yup.
Hmm, now to find out if the 1M flywheel will fit my N55 135i.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
210
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Hmm, now to find out if the 1M flywheel will fit my N55 135i.
I don't think that is possible. There is another thread on that topic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

I am also considering single mass flywheel options. Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
I just bought a BMW F10 550i clutch and pressure plate, should get installed in October. It holds more torque (550i has up to 500 ft-lb depending on trim level) and feels stock according to those who have used it.
Think this might be a great option considering I've just fried my clutch! Is it this kit? 1M is not listed as compatible: https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135i-N54_3.0L/Drivetrain/Clutch/ES1897635/

Thanks mate.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
Mrated
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2001 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
I installed the F10 M5 Clutch into mine (ECStuning.com - ES#: 1897635), put about 800 miles on it, and took it onto lime rock park for HPDE event, so far so good! I also installed the ECS Performance Clutch Fork Pivot Pin (ES#: 2992391). I am still using the original flywheel as the shop said it was okay to reuse. I inquired with the dealership about the install they wanted to charge me for a software upgrade, and the clutch replacement with parts and installation it would of cost me $2300 + tax. I also talked with local performance shops and decided to go with a local shop instead. Hope this info was helpful. Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
ayao166

      09-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
6110
Rep
21,973
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
I am also considering single mass flywheel options. Anyone?
Don't. You will have all sorts of strange noises at idle. There is a reason why BMW went with a DMFW.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrated View Post
I installed the F10 M5 Clutch into mine (ECStuning.com - ES#: 1897635), put about 800 miles on it, and took it onto lime rock park for HPDE event, so far so good! I also installed the ECS Performance Clutch Fork Pivot Pin (ES#: 2992391). I am still using the original flywheel as the shop said it was okay to reuse. I inquired with the dealership about the install they wanted to charge me for a software upgrade, and the clutch replacement with parts and installation it would of cost me $2300 + tax. I also talked with local performance shops and decided to go with a local shop instead. Hope this info was helpful. Best of luck!
Awesome, thanks mate!

I enquired with FCP Euro RE compatibility and they noted that the 550i clutch wasn't compatible and pointed me towards the 1M factory clutch. Great to know it does fit, I'll go ahead and order one.

Cheers

Last edited by phunky_monkey; 09-12-2016 at 10:28 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:52 PM   #13
Mrated
Enlisted Member
3
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: BMW 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2001 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Yea it's a very common change, and its a direct replacement, also a correction from before it is the 550 clutch, I am not sure why I said M5, but the part number I put is the one I installed. Shops that haven't done it before will be hesitant and won't want to misguide you, but shops that have done it before know its just a upgraded part. It was the main factor why I did not go with a dealership replacement, it was going to be more expensive and they would not use the 550i clutch.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2016, 09:18 PM   #14
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrated View Post
Yea it's a very common change, and its a direct replacement, also a correction from before it is the 550 clutch, I am not sure why I said M5, but the part number I put is the one I installed. Shops that haven't done it before will be hesitant and won't want to misguide you, but shops that have done it before know its just a upgraded part. It was the main factor why I did not go with a dealership replacement, it was going to be more expensive and they would not use the 550i clutch.
You're a superstar mate, thank you very much for your help.

I ended up ordering it today from FCP, along with bell housing bolts, bronze clutch fork pivot, release arm spring and a rear main seal just in case.

Pretty happy to have a factory solution without having to resort to a grabby twin plate or noisy single mass flywheel. Now fingers crossed my flywheel looks ok
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 11:00 PM   #15
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

I run a CAE shifter so I already have lots of noise at idle. I went with a clutch masters 350 with single mass AL flywheel. I'll let u guys know how it turns out.
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
CarJunkie
Major
United_States
210
Rep
1,219
Posts

Drives: VO 1M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tri-Cities, Washington

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Wow. I would love to know how launching and rev matching shifts works out.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 01:12 AM   #17
phunky_monkey
Second Lieutenant
23
Rep
243
Posts

Drives: VO 1M, Radical SR3
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
I run a CAE shifter so I already have lots of noise at idle. I went with a clutch masters 350 with single mass AL flywheel. I'll let u guys know how it turns out.
Yeah keep us updated, I'd be interested to see what you think
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 12:58 AM   #18
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Oh, and I didn't say it but I have a CDV Delete too. And 034 motorsports 50 derometer engine mounts, ucc urethane trans mounts and delrin solid diff mounts. Oh and ucc clutch pedal.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #19
HP Autosport
General
United_States
1696
Rep
27,887
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Clutch Master's clutch has been great with positive feedbacks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 05:06 PM   #20
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...6#post20725076
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2016, 06:07 PM   #21
HP Autosport
General
United_States
1696
Rep
27,887
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

iTrader: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot-j View Post
Never had any issues with Clutch Master clutches. Did you tell them you them you have an E82 1M not a 135i?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
hot-j
First Lieutenant
57
Rep
326
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Boston MA

iTrader: (0)

Of course.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:08 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST