BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #1
keyowne
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008

KnN air filter

I have a 135i, cobb stage 1 sport tune i run, however i just bought a cone knN air filter to go with the tune however am reading that this allows more dirt in and has no help on performance? Should i return it if its not worth much for performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

Air filter mods are a waste of money. Do you really believe they do a better job than what the BMW engineers have designed for the car?

Essentially, they create more noise and from many tests over the years, allow more crap into the engine.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
iminhell1
C2H5OH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 SG 135i auto

All the dyno's say otherwise, that there is power to be made by removing the stock air box and replacing it with some variation of a Dual Cone Intake.
Depending on brand, you might see as much as 30hp+ from just air filters.

As far as not filtering as well as a stock paper filter, that's debatable.
You can argue until you're blue in the face but the fact is there is no proof of the need to filter down to 10 microns prolongs engine life, or that filtering to 15 microns detracts from engine life. There are millions of people who run both types of filters and have equal miles on them.
My personal opinion is that a paper filter has a greater filtering capacity, more dirt holding ability. A K&N style will need servicing sooner because it doesn't have the capacity. But both will filter the air well enough to keep the engine safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
mr.fabulous
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I ran a K&N in the factory airbox on a VR6 Corrado in the early 90s. I have no proof of this, but I always believed it gummed-up my MAF (car would occasionally lurch for no reason). I tossed it after a few weeks, paper is good.
      02-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Unhappy High School Science?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell1 View Post
All the dyno's say otherwise, that there is power to be made by removing the stock air box and replacing it with some variation of a Dual Cone Intake.
Depending on brand, you might see as much as 30hp+ from just air filters.

As far as not filtering as well as a stock paper filter, that's debatable.
You can argue until you're blue in the face but the fact is there is no proof of the need to filter down to 10 microns prolongs engine life, or that filtering to 15 microns detracts from engine life. There are millions of people who run both types of filters and have equal miles on them.
My personal opinion is that a paper filter has a greater filtering capacity, more dirt holding ability. A K&N style will need servicing sooner because it doesn't have the capacity. But both will filter the air well enough to keep the engine safe.
Have you talked with all the millions and verified the mileage claims?

If K&N type filters actually had any power benefits, the auto manufacturers would have adopted them years ago. It makes good sense to filter as much crap out of the air as possible. BMW apparently thinks so. Also there is good evidence that these aftermarket filter screw up the MAF sensor.

The reason these are a popular items is they are cheap, gear heads like to dress up a bland engine compartment, and simple to install.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 12:09 PM   #6
PA135i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I have a drop in AFE Pro "Dry" air filter. I did not want the oiled filter for reasons mentioned above. Does it add anything? I don't know, but I did ask a BMW tech about it and he said it does add a little performance.

Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
keyowne
Rep
Drives: 135i 2008

this was the problem i had, lots of contradicting views on this haha, i think il play it safe than sorry and keep the standard airbox
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
OneM
Private
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
Have you talked with all the millions and verified the mileage claims?

If K&N type filters actually had any power benefits, the auto manufacturers would have adopted them years ago. It makes good sense to filter as much crap out of the air as possible. BMW apparently thinks so. Also there is good evidence that these aftermarket filter screw up the MAF sensor.

The reason these are a popular items is they are cheap, gear heads like to dress up a bland engine compartment, and simple to install.
Try placing a sponge over your nose while doing a 100m sprint.. I'm sure you'll realise it hinders your breathing even if you claim nil horsepower difference. Engineers have to take into account longevity of the engine at all extreme environmental conditions. If you clean your filter each time you'll be alright.

Also, you fail to take into account throttle response which plays a big part in daily street driving
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #9
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Obviously you have a K&N filter! Don't worry -

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:01 AM   #10
OneM
Private
Rep

..goes to show what you know Mr Snooty. Our cars run MAP sensors rather than MAF, so oiling the filter will not affect it. And no, I don't have a K&N filter
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:49 AM   #11
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Talking More Dumbness from a Dummy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneM View Post
..goes to show what you know Mr Snooty. Our cars run MAP sensors rather than MAF, so oiling the filter will not affect it. And no, I don't have a K&N filter
Some cars are equipped with both. I don't spend my days worrying about how BMW does the job.

Your idiocy is reflected in your analogy between the respiratory system of a human being and an automobile engine. And oh yes, the throttle response. Did you know it opens and closes depending upon if the driver wants go faster or slower?

Those who like their engines will feed then a diet of clean air and oil. In any case, God is very angry with you!

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:13 AM   #12
OneM
Private
Rep

can't figure what you're on about..

BTW, factory air fliter for the 911 GT3RS
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:34 AM   #13
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
This is about as pointless as the drilled rotor debate. Everyone knows an air filter does little to no good, use what you want and if you have ill effects please post so that others may learn.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:57 AM   #14
OneM
Private
Rep

Simple fluid dynamics fellas.. 'if you stick on a water filter, dependent on how big it is, you may or may not lose any pressure, but its restriction would affect the rate of flow (ie. acceleration)
Same concept as running high flow CATs, will never be the same as CAT less.

Last edited by OneM; Yesterday at 12:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:32 PM   #15
AlexR6
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW E82 125i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
If K&N type filters actually had any power benefits, the auto manufacturers would have adopted them years ago
No they wouldn't anyway... cotton filters are much more expensive than paper ones and are harder to maintain - and this could cause problems to the engine during warranty period!
Appreciate 0