BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #1
HeyMoe53
Lieutenant

Drives: '13 128 M-Spt. LeMans/Oyster

I think my local mechanic is a keeper

Though my 128 is under warranty, and I end up at the dealer for service and such, I have a friend who owns a local gas station/garage. He stores my 1er during the winter for free; I do make sure to buy my gas there, have my "winter Focus" serviced/repaired there, and when I need tires, I tell him what I want, and he takes care of the rest.

I wanted to change the OEM Goodyear runflats; so, there is a set of Bridgestone S-04s sitting next to his desk. Today was to be the day to change them. I was going to keep the Goodyears for when I might trade/sell the 1er someday.

When I stopped in, he said, "We didn't change the tires yet. My tire machine is older, and it is more difficult to deal with runflats. Your Goodyears are really on there tight."

"I've been looking at getting a new mounting machine. I think your car has made me do something about it. If you can wait a week or two, I'll have the new machine, and I will feel much better about dealing with runflats. I don't want to scratch your wheels, or anyone else's."

I noticed that your wheels weren't mounted as tightly as a lot of cars I see. So, I checked BMWs specs, and used a torque wrench to put the wheels back on."

"In a week or two, we'll get you all fixed up."

I've always said it is important to have a good doctor and a good mechanic. I think I have the second one covered.
      04-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #2
pdisher
privateer

Drives: 2010 E88 - N51

Yep

You sure do....

Rare find indeed
pdisher is offline   United_States
      04-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Overpar56
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 135i MSport DCT

Put him on your Christmas card list.
      04-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
631twentyeighteye
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2010 130i MT

He's a keeper.
3 stage manifold, Mapleridge headers, AA tune, Injen intake, Custom 135i exhaust fitted to 128 mids, blackline tails, Depo headlights w/ 8000k LED angel eyes and xenons, 8000k xenon fogs, Lowered on eibach springs, m3 lower control arms, 264's in anthracite with a red lip wrapped in hankook v12's
631twentyeighteye is offline   United_States
      04-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Sedona_Red_128

Drives: Sedona Red 2009 128i

Good man.
Sedona_Red_128 is offline   United_States
      04-10-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Deutsche-Broke
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 128i

I do most of my own work but I've had good luck with smaller local shops.. People who will remember your name when you run into them at a store..

I try to keep it local if at all possible. There are some great people out there that will treat you very well if you are loyal and reasonable.
Deutsche-Broke is offline   United_States
      04-11-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
HeyMoe53
Lieutenant

Drives: '13 128 M-Spt. LeMans/Oyster

We are both Steeler fans, and watch the games at the local Elks lodge. I am the "menu planner," so I make a main dish (chili, pulled pork, sausage sandwiches, etc.), and others bring covered dishes. It's a great time.

It is a small price to pay for having my car stored in a solid, well-built garage during the winter.

Though we are friends, and enjoy social times together, he treats all of his customers as he treats me.

It is a rare find, indeed. And, five blocks from my apartment.

Just waiting for the new tire mounting machine to arrive, so I can try out the Pole Positions.
      04-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #8
Isdaako
Private First Class

Drives: 128i Convertible

Sounds almost too good to be true. Nice to hear positive experiences with mechanics.
Isdaako is offline   United_States
      04-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #9
Deutsche-Broke
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
We are both Steeler fans, and watch the games at the local Elks lodge. I am the "menu planner," so I make a main dish (chili, pulled pork, sausage sandwiches, etc.), and others bring covered dishes. It's a great time.

It is a small price to pay for having my car stored in a solid, well-built garage during the winter.

Though we are friends, and enjoy social times together, he treats all of his customers as he treats me.

It is a rare find, indeed. And, five blocks from my apartment.

Just waiting for the new tire mounting machine to arrive, so I can try out the Pole Positions.
That's perfect, and how it should be.. A fed and happy mechanic is a good mechanic (and a friend) that will go extra every time...

Good luck with yours...
Deutsche-Broke is offline   United_States
      Yesterday, 09:45 PM   #10
Chrisar82
Dutch Oven Baker II

Drives: 2009 BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMoe53 View Post
Though my 128 is under warranty, and I end up at the dealer for service and such, I have a friend who owns a local gas station/garage. He stores my 1er during the winter for free; I do make sure to buy my gas there, have my "winter Focus" serviced/repaired there, and when I need tires, I tell him what I want, and he takes care of the rest.

I wanted to change the OEM Goodyear runflats; so, there is a set of Bridgestone S-04s sitting next to his desk. Today was to be the day to change them. I was going to keep the Goodyears for when I might trade/sell the 1er someday.

When I stopped in, he said, "We didn't change the tires yet. My tire machine is older, and it is more difficult to deal with runflats. Your Goodyears are really on there tight."

"I've been looking at getting a new mounting machine. I think your car has made me do something about it. If you can wait a week or two, I'll have the new machine, and I will feel much better about dealing with runflats. I don't want to scratch your wheels, or anyone else's."

I noticed that your wheels weren't mounted as tightly as a lot of cars I see. So, I checked BMWs specs, and used a torque wrench to put the wheels back on."

"In a week or two, we'll get you all fixed up."

I've always said it is important to have a good doctor and a good mechanic. I think I have the second one covered.
Using a torque wrench at a garage/gas station? DEFINITELY a keeper. Most shops that aren't specialty shops use air tools. They over torque the sh*t out of them.