BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
bfodle
Rep
Drives: '09 135i & '00 Subaru Outback

Door Won't Open

Anyone ever had the experience of their driver door not opening? Opened fine this morning, but when I got to work, I had to climb out the passenger side. The door sounds like it locks and unlocks, and I can't take the panel off with the door closed. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Brian
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #2
champignon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; 135i; 2000 Z3M Cpe; STi

Could be the door lock actuator. You didn't say whether you used the remote to try to open the door. The most likely problems would be either a door lock actuator that died or is dying, vs. a failure of the central locking system.

If it is the central locking system, then it could be as simple as a blown fuse, or as bad as a failure of a relay in the General Module (I'm assuming these cars have those; E36 and E46 cars do). It could also be a worn through wire in the wiring harness going into the door from the chassis.

My bet would be the actuator. On Z3/E36 cars these are very cheap and available generically from places like Amazon, but I don't know what they cost or are like in our 1-Series cars. Replacing the actuator could take some skill however, and would require removing the door panel and perhaps also the window glass.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #3
bfodle
Rep
Drives: '09 135i & '00 Subaru Outback

Thanks for the info. Problem is, I can't diagnose anything since I can't get the door open. Might have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, which won't be cheap. I'll try looking at the fuses tonight after work to see if that's the problem.

Last edited by bfodle; 08-24-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
champignon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; 135i; 2000 Z3M Cpe; STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfodle View Post
Thanks for the info. Problem is, I can't diagnose anything since I can't get the door open. Might have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed, which won't be cheap. I'll try looking at the fuses tonight after work to see if that's the problem.
Assuming your car is out of warranty, do you have a good local independent mechanic you trust? I had a destroyed central locking system in one of my Z3 Coupes, where a former owner had intentionally removed all 3 door lock actuators and even some metal parts connecting the actuator in the hatch lock, basically destroying the entire system. My local mechanic replaced all 3 actuators, got the missing metal parts from a BMW dealer, and did the whole repair for a pretty reasonable sum considering how much damage there was.

Someone who knows what he is doing can figure out a way to open up the driver's door, does not have to be the dealer, although if your dealer has treated you right in the past you might conceivably want to use him.

If it does turn out that a fuse is blown, that might not be the whole problem. A worn and exposed wire in the door wiring bundle could cause that, and replacing the fuse would only then be a temporary fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
prcsa77
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Send a message via AIM to prcsa77
bfodle, have you tried to unlock and open the door using the actual key (in the remote fob)? When my driver's side door actuator went out, I was able to unlock and open the door with that key. If you still can't open it, you will need to take your car to a mechanic.

After a quick look, the panel's top forward corner is trapped by the dash when the door is closed.

The door handle and actuator removal does require (based on memory) for the door to be open.

The glass does not need to be removed in order to remove the actuator. It does need to be in the up position though. There is a speaker upgrade DIY (can't find it at the moment) showing the positions and locations of the clips in order to take the panel off. Good luck.
t

Last edited by prcsa77; 08-24-2015 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 04:43 PM   #6
dtla1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

OP states that he/she was inside the car and had to climb out of the passenger side. Would these suggestions of electrical issues not be null if the OP was pulling the handle to unlock/open the door from the inside like a normal person would? OP, have you tried opening the door from the outside?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:56 AM   #7
Lucky1
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1
OP states that he/she was inside the car and had to climb out of the passenger side. Would these suggestions of electrical issues not be null if the OP was pulling the handle to unlock/open the door from the inside like a normal person would? OP, have you tried opening the door from the outside?
When my door lock actuator went the handle open the door but my actuator "failed unlocked". The door handle is connected to an electric cable which triggers the lock actuator upon door handle operation. Also in my case using the manual key would not lock the door. There was another forum member whose actuator failed and locked the door.

My bet is on the actuator. You can hear the sound of it trying to operate which suggests it is getting the electrical signal to operate but can't do so effectively because its broken.
Appreciate 0