BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 09:58 PM   #1
2012_135i
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 135i, 6MT, M-Sport

Washig machine safe?

Iím probably not the first person to have this happen but the other day my wife washed my shorts with my key fob in the pocket. We have a front loading washing machine that locks up tight when you start it and neither one of us has figured out how to stop it yet so the key fob went for the full ride, with us watching it spin and slosh around and back and forth after it fell out of my shorts pocket. After the spin cycle I retrieved it and let it dry out overnight and then tried it out the next day. It didnít operate the trunk or the door locks, which I pretty much expected, but, surprisingly, it did work to start the car. And then, surprisingly again, after driving the car for about twenty minutes and getting out, it did work to lock the car. Hours later, going back to the car, it again wouldnít open the doors or trunk but did work to start the car and drive home, and when I arrived home it worked to lock the car. The next day this was repeated. And the next day. On the forth day it was back to normal with all functions operational. Weird. I still carry the spare key fob around with me just in case.
      Yesterday, 11:13 PM   #2
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek

Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport

Garage List
I'd open the key fob up and check for signs of corrosion or contamination from the laundry detergent and rinse thoroughly with distilled water.

It might work now, but over time if there's still detergent inside the fob, it'll start corroding the electronics.
      Today, 08:15 AM   #3
Andrewcoja
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Being in the water might have caused a short which drained your battery. Driving in the car charged it back up enough to lock the doors but it then died again. Go for a long drive with that key and see if it charges up. Also, be wary of corrosion like bmw1racer said.
Andrewcoja is offline   United_States
      Today, 09:09 AM   #4
rocketpop
Captain

Drives: 135i

I have washed mine before. I open the back and took the battery out and let it dry out. Worked fine.