BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

Yesterday, 05:05 PM   #1
Chrisar82
Captain

Drives: around Philadelphia

Passenger Window won't go up, clanking noises, etc. HELP!!!

I put my window down, then when I tried to put it back up it didn't move and all I heard were clanking and rattling and the sound of some sort of motor in the door. Something is definitely muffed up

What do you think this is? Is it an expensive fix? The car has 38000 miles

Thanks for any help!!!

Last edited by Chrisar82; Yesterday at 08:53 PM.
Chrisar82 is online now   United_States
      Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #2
andrey_gta
Brigadier General

Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
the plastic spool has been chewed up by the cable. You will need the new cable , rails, plastic spool - the window regulator repair kit, about 100-150 at the dealer and a long DIY day. Look up window reset procedure and be patient with the motor if it stops working- simply disconnect it and reconnect and wait it will reset.

Next see if you can get plastic trim pry tools and electrical tape to avoid damaging paint

the stickly black goo dust seal will go all over everything you touch - it is resealable, just be patient

you will need a plumbers monkey wrench to turn the Star window holders on the inside - the torx you see in front of you is the wrong end of the Star shaped handle style bolt. Apparently the coil over wrenches work okay too

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is offline   Canada
      Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #3
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Yup, sounds like your window regulator is toast. It is an $600 repair from what I remember seeing posted here.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      Yesterday, 06:40 PM   #4
Chrisar82
Captain

Drives: around Philadelphia

Thanks, this seems early for the mileage I have on it no?
Chrisar82 is online now   United_States