BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 550i

Advice Needed

Several weeks ago I started getting the TPMS light on my dash (the yellow tire, not the low tire warning in the middle of the screen) and didn't think much of it at the time do to the changing tempatures. Around the same time, my Comfort Access stopped working, but given the fact that I took delivery on my car in May of 2010, I thought it was just a low battery.

On Sunday night, as I was driving home my radio turned off. I didn't think much of it and turned it back on. A few minutes later my dash blew up with all sorts of lights (TMPS, Service Engine, Airbag, Seatbelt, and several others). Seconds after, the dash went dead, along with my tach and speedo.

I took the car to the dealership last night and today was informed that the modules for the TPMS, Comfort Access and Park Distance were damaged and would require $2,500 worth of repairs. The dealership said they also found a broken beer bottle in my trunk and because of that, they wouldn't be covering any of the repairs under warranty.

I'm obviously very upset about this and the fact that the dealership won't cover the cost of repairs. I understand the reasoning behind having the battery and some of the electronics in the trunk (my understanding is it's mostly for weight distribution), but I don't think it's too much to ask that it's put back there in such a way that if something spills in the trunk, those things won't be damaged.

Has anyone had this happen to them before in their 1er (or any BMW)? What is the best way to dispute a claim that the dealership won't cover? Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated! I'll be sure to keep everyone informed.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
bdoooh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 SSII M5 CP

Makes me want to hurry up and get that rubber trunk mat..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

A good friend blew the computer in his BMW jumping it when the battery died.
Don't do that sht either.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
slow35i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13' glacier silver 328xi

Where was the beer bottle ? The rdc (tpm) module on an e82 is on right rear of the vehicle behind the trunk panel I don't see how how a broken beer bottle damaging any modules in the trunk , I've replaced faulty trunk seals that have let water in and drip on to the rdc module and corrode the pins and damage the module and will some times take out other modules on the k-can
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
Makes me want to hurry up and get that rubber trunk mat..
I'll definitely be buying one in the near future, that's for sure!

What bugs me is, if one single broken bottle with 12 ounces of liquid is capable of messing with the electronics in the trunk that badly, then why doesn't a rubber mat come standard?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow35i View Post
Where was the beer bottle ? The rdc (tpm) module on an e82 is on right rear of the vehicle behind the trunk panel I don't see how how a broken beer bottle damaging any modules in the trunk , I've replaced faulty trunk seals that have let water in and drip on to the rdc module and corrode the pins and damage the module and will some times take out other modules on the k-can
I'm not totally sure where it was in the trunk. It could have gotten loose and been rolling around. Are you saying that the only way that damage could have been caused was by a faulty seal? What's the best way to prove that?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

I dont believe that one bottle could cause all modules... Look in to this thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=707967&page=2
I think your dealer is wrong there is even a SIB number for that. You will find everything in that thread. I would suggest you provide to dealer that SIB number.

Good Luck
P.S.
Dont drink when driving
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
N55_NOLE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I dont believe that one bottle could cause all modules... Look in to this thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=707967&page=2
I think your dealer is wrong there is even a SIB number for that. You will find everything in that thread. I would suggest you provide to dealer that SIB number.

Good Luck
P.S.
Dont drink when driving
Thanks so much! I read the whole thread and while it did sound like my problem, after reading the actual SIB, it appears that particular service advisory is only for a complete failure of the electrical system and results in the car being unable to start. I was able to start my car several times using the key in the ignition, but not with Comfort Access.

Last edited by N55_NOLE; 11-08-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Appreciate 0