BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
chrisN
Lieutenant
 
chrisN's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 125i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sydney

Posts: 575
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 125i  [4.33]
DIY request - door handles for full car wrap

hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm planning on completely wrapping my car.

wasn't too sure how to take off the door handles. If anyone has done it before and had any pointers that would be great! thanks!
__________________
chrisN is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,164
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN
hi guys i was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm planning on completely wrapping my car.

wasn't too sure how to take off the door handles. If anyone has done it before and had any pointers that would be great! thanks!
Hey Chris,

1. Open up the door

2. There is a hole (maybe with a rubber plug) at the level of the door handle that is covering up a reverse hex bolt. From memory it uses a 4mm Allen key. Remove the bolt. Don't drop it inside the door.

3. Pull off the locking mechanism (driver side) or solid cover (passenger side). If you are having difficulty with the locking mechanism, stick your key in, turn it 90 degrees and pull the whole thing out.

4. Pull on the door handle and it will pop out slightly and become loose. Once loose, slide the door handle towards the back of the car and the handle should pop out.

Note: Be careful of the puddle lights. You don't want to break them or lose them inside the door itself. Lift them up and push them in to release them and then you can pull them out to dangle by the wire so they'll be less likely to be lost or broken.


When reinstalling the door handle, just do it all in reverse. You might notice that the door handle is loose and won't pop back in tightly. This is normal. Once you pop the locking mechanism/cover back in the door handle will pop back in securely.

Good luck.
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
chrisN
Lieutenant
 
chrisN's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 125i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sydney

Posts: 575
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 125i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Hey Chris,

1. Open up the door

2. There is a hole (maybe with a rubber plug) at the level of the door handle that is covering up a reverse hex bolt. From memory it uses a 4mm Allen key. Remove the bolt. Don't drop it inside the door.

3. Pull off the locking mechanism (driver side) or solid cover (passenger side). If you are having difficulty with the locking mechanism, stick your key in, turn it 90 degrees and pull the whole thing out.

4. Pull on the door handle and it will pop out slightly and become loose. Once loose, slide the door handle towards the back of the car and the handle should pop out.

Note: Be careful of the puddle lights. You don't want to break them or lose them inside the door itself. Lift them up and push them in to release them and then you can pull them out to dangle by the wire so they'll be less likely to be lost or broken.


When reinstalling the door handle, just do it all in reverse. You might notice that the door handle is loose and won't pop back in tightly. This is normal. Once you pop the locking mechanism/cover back in the door handle will pop back in securely.

Good luck.
THANKS FROOP!

ill let you know how I'm going with it!
__________________
chrisN is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-27-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,164
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN View Post
THANKS FROOP!

ill let you know how I'm going with it!
Haha no problem.

What colour are you going for?
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
chrisN
Lieutenant
 
chrisN's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw 125i coupe
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sydney

Posts: 575
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 125i  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Haha no problem.

What colour are you going for?
matte yellow, but keeping my roof gloss black. probably do my interior trims in the same yellow to match.
__________________
chrisN is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-29-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
froop
Colonel
 
froop's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

Posts: 2,164
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisN View Post
matte yellow, but keeping my roof gloss black. probably do my interior trims in the same yellow to match.
That's...going...to...look...epic
__________________
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      11-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
1triple5
Private
 
Drives: Black Sapphire Metallic 135i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 63
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Post a pic when the wrapping is done please
__________________
BSM 135i 6MT
1triple5 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST