BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #1
Wandasboy

Drives: 2013 128i AT MSport

What Is Adaptive Transmission Control?

I find this "adaptive transmission control" in the 128i catalogue, and it says my 2013 128i auto trans has it. I can find no reference to it in the owners manual.

I find the standard Steptronic shift points way too low; drop the revs down below 1500 and lug the engine down. In sport mode the shift points are too high and include 1st gear, which is too low a gear for normal use; and it does not shift to 6th gear at all. So I shift my auto manually (not too cold, not too hot, just right!). I hoped that "adaptive transmission control" would somehow help me get to what I would define as good shift points to where I can use the auto tarnsmission in D or DS - but can't so far figure it out. Any ideas?

Also - Can dealer adjust auto transmission shift points?

Thanks in advance for info!
      11-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #2
TwinT1addict
Major

Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.50]
Send a message via AIM to TwinT1addict
Adaptive transmissions are like humans they adapt to different drivers and inputs. For example you are heavy footed and like to do spirited driving but you wife drives like an old lady. The transmission adapts to the driving habits of the driver and makes changes automatically if to raise the rpm and shift points. Now when someone else drives your car the transmission does not know how that person drives therefore the car is going to lurch and think that you are the driver Because it thinks your going to floor it. Simply put it adapts to how you drive your BMW. The adaptations can be reset with a scan tool or a bav technic tool. Cheers
TwinT1addict is offline   United_States
      11-29-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
TwinT1addict
Major

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.50]
Also the dealer cannot change the shift points.
      11-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

^^Yup the trans adapts to your driving style. This usually takes a few hundred miles/kms. You can reset it by switching on your ignition(but do not start the engine) hold your foot on the gas pedal for 20 secs, then let off and switch off and back on teh engine. Now drive the car and it will "learn" your driving style.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      11-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #5
TwinT1addict
Major

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
^^Yup the trans adapts to your driving style. This usually takes a few hundred miles/kms. You can reset it by switching on your ignition(but do not start the engine) hold your foot on the gas pedal for 20 secs, then let off and switch off and back on teh engine. Now drive the car and it will "learn" your driving style.
Don't mean to sound harsh but that trick you mentioned Is a myth and hardly ever works. You need a scan tool to properly reset adaptation or for out cars a cobb acessport. The only thing your doing when you cycle the car like that is engaging the water pump, and on e90 models it resets the valvetronic motor position.
      11-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #6
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.

Drives: 2013 VW GTi

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinT1addict View Post
The only thing your doing when you cycle the car like that is engaging the water pump, and on e90 models it resets the valvetronic motor position.
Hmm thats new to me, every time i do it the throttle feels a little more sensitive.
      11-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
froop
Colonel

Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Hey Dack, thanks for this!

I was a little sceptical but decided to try it out today.

I've been having issues with my tranny upshifts being really hesitant and jerky since installing my procede. So far since trying out this little trick it's been really smooth. No hesitating, no jerking. Almost feels like new. I'll need to test it out some more because its only been 1 day but so far so good.

Now I'm not so sure I need to even do this tranny service this weekend =P
Procede Rev 3 | PWM Meth | Mr5 Intake | AFE Scoops | ER FMIC | ER CP | TiAl BOV | AR Catless DPs | CP-E Exhaust | Forgestar F14s | M3 Strut Tower Brace | M3 Front Arms | M3 F + R Sway Bars | M3 Rear End Conversion | Moton Clubsports with Swift Springs | Vorshlag Camber Plates | ECS 2-Piece Rotors | SS Lines | Cool Carbons | BR Half Cage | BMWP SSK | BMWP Interior/Exterior Goodies | Blacklines | P3 Gauge | 1M Interior |
froop is offline   Australia
      11-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
RimasRS
Colonel

Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinT1addict View Post
Don't mean to sound harsh but that trick you mentioned Is a myth and hardly ever works. You need a scan tool to properly reset adaptation or for out cars a cobb acessport. The only thing your doing when you cycle the car like that is engaging the water pump, and on e90 models it resets the valvetronic motor position.
Yes it does work it is not a myth and it works on some other german cars like Audi. COBB resets throttle body position/adaptions not sure if it does something to AT transmission.
      11-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #9
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Hey Dack, thanks for this!

I was a little sceptical but decided to try it out today.

I've been having issues with my tranny upshifts being really hesitant and jerky since installing my procede. So far since trying out this little trick it's been really smooth. No hesitating, no jerking. Almost feels like new. I'll need to test it out some more because its only been 1 day but so far so good.

Now I'm not so sure I need to even do this tranny service this weekend =P
cool! I don't have an automatic... but I have always read that that little "trick" does work. You guys have seemed to confirmed it.

Btw... I wold still service your trans. The best oil is new fresh oil.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
      12-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Wandasboy

Drives: 2013 128i AT MSport

When you say "Hold your foot on the gas pedal for 20 seconds" for purposes of this reset, does that mean barely touching the pedal, pressing it to the floor, or something in between?
      12-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
RimasRS
Colonel

Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandasboy View Post
When you say "Hold your foot on the gas pedal for 20 seconds" for purposes of this reset, does that mean barely touching the pedal, pressing it to the floor, or something in between?
To the floor