BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
Does any know of anybody completely changing the mid-pipes on the N54? I had a wild thought and was wondering if someone might have done this already... Being that I already have the Berk Muffler Delete Pipe installed, converting the mid-pipe into one 3.5" exhaust. To accomplish this I would have a "Y" pipe installed immediately after the down pipes collecting into a 3.5" exhaust. it seems like this would be a bit more manageable underneath the vehicle and remove all of the exhaust restrictions after the DP's.
That seems logical, but I would worry that there may be a good reason for having 2 separate pipes and that merging into 1 pipe so close to the turbos may be detrimental.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,662
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek8819 View Post
Does the 1M mid pipe have a different part number than the regular N54s?

Yes. At least according to RealOEM.com While the parts diagrams look the same the part numbers ARE different.


1M mid pipes...
Name:  1M mid pipes part number 18307845669.png
Views: 779
Size:  27.7 KB

135i N54 mid pipes...
Name:  135i N54 mid pipe bmw part number 18307559994.png
Views: 780
Size:  27.7 KB


1M mid pipes (w/secondary cats) bmw #18307845669
135i N54 mid pipe (w/secondary cats) bmw #18307559994


And lets not forget that the 1M also has different main cats than a 135i N54. The 1M's main cats are higher flowing cats than what the 135i came with from the factory.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #25
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,662
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
I have MadDads installed and my OEM mid pipe is sitting on the shelf. So I went out into the garage and took a picture of inside the stock mid pipe resonator. I don't see any perforations. Am I missing something?

THAT is what my friend said. That the pipe that runs inside of the resonator where the mid pipes form a Y... that THAT pipe is a straight thru pipe. So the resonator is a dummy.


I really don't know why BMW built the exhaust with that resonator box around the straight (& non perforated) Y pipe.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #26
MrBimmer
Rated M
MrBimmer's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
202
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Queens, New York

iTrader: (3)

Send a message via AIM to MrBimmer
Since the cats are higher flowing, is it safe to go for stage 2 tuning with it?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,662
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBimmer View Post
Since the cats are higher flowing, is it safe to go for stage 2 tuning with it?
I believe it was Harold at HP Autowerks who first mentioned the higher flowing cats of the 1M(I believe). I would start by asking him.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
did he take any pictures of this?
sound intriguing
im about to modify my N55 midpipes to a Y pipe magnaflow,
if you say the mid-muffler is a dummy, than why would i do what i planed?
and why does the BMW PE has a Y pipe in their kit, if the mid-muffler is a dummy?

or is it a different story for the n55 midpipes?
Keep us updated on this. I'm curious what a 1M would sound like with straight mid-pipes.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #29
Rich@GTBPerformance
Bimmerpost Sponsor and BMW Performance Guru
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
227
Rep
4,409
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North New Jersey

iTrader: (20)

Very interesting Dackelone!
__________________
Email : rich@gtbperformance.com | Web : www.gtbperformance.com | Tel : 973 429 2839



GTB Performance is a supporting member of Bimmerpost and the BMW Car Club of America, NJ Chapter
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #30
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
268
Posts

 
Drives: Black Pyrat
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Constitution State

iTrader: (0)

n/m
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #31
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
8
Rep
545
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Location Location

iTrader: (0)

What would it cost to have a muffler shop cut out the stock 1M mid-pipe's cats and replace w/ short sections of tubing?

And - does the fake resonator box have any effect? If not on flow, then sound? hmmm
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #32
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
What would it cost to have a muffler shop cut out the stock 1M mid-pipe's cats and replace w/ short sections of tubing?

And - does the fake resonator box have any effect? If not on flow, then sound? hmmm
I think that was BMW's rather "economical" way of designing a sporty exhaust for 1M in a hurry, while trying to match the environmental norms too! Result is a confused mess, managing not being green or sporty enough. Among the trio most useless section of the stock exhaust is by far the mid pipe, well maybe after the China special muffler
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #33
Papethova
Brigadier General
Papethova's Avatar
64
Rep
3,038
Posts

 
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: at Death Valley 127

iTrader: (1)

so we have 3 variations of mid pipes??

n54 cats and resonator
n55 no cats with resonator
1M cats with no resonator
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #34
Dackelone
Moderator
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
689
Rep
16,662
Posts

 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
so we have 3 variations of mid pipes??

n54 cats and resonator
n55 no cats with resonator
1M cats with no resonator
Yup! Totally correct.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:15 AM   #35
MDORPHN
Colonel
41
Rep
2,544
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Yup! Totally correct.
Interesting stuff. Also explains why the N55 mids dampen the drone.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #36
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Stan.mac's Avatar
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
That seems logical, but I would worry that there may be a good reason for having 2 separate pipes and that merging into 1 pipe so close to the turbos may be detrimental.
Agreed; I'm far from a mechanical engineer but I think it would be for closer regulation of back pressure. Not enough and you loose your low-end Tq; too much and you have spooling issues... Though the logical side of me says, two 3' inch pipes = 6" for two small turbos. My personal opinion, formulated from years of tuning, it's over kill. 4" total would be ample to move the exhaust... It's only a 3.0L motor... You might not get the exhaust note that one would dream of but I'm a functionality person... Plus one pipe seems a bit more manageable then two. Just my .02
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 011100001 View Post
Agreed; I'm far from a mechanical engineer but I think it would be for closer regulation of back pressure. Not enough and you loose your low-end Tq; too much and you have spooling issues... Though the logical side of me says, two 3' inch pipes = 6" for two small turbos. My personal opinion, formulated from years of tuning, it's over kill. 4" total would be ample to move the exhaust... It's only a 3.0L motor... You might not get the exhaust note that one would dream of but I'm a functionality person... Plus one pipe seems a bit more manageable then two. Just my .02
I actually am a mechanical engineer and even then i'm not so certain, haha.

In terms of cross sectional area, 2 3" pipes is nearly equivalent to 1 4.25" pipe. But a 4.25" pipe should theoretically be able to flow a bit better since it has a smaller wetted perimeter (surface area in contact with flowing fluid) thus less friction.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 11:59 AM   #38
katsooba
Private First Class
katsooba's Avatar
2
Rep
134
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Israel

iTrader: (0)

i thought that the two pipes on the midpipe are 2.35 - 60mm diameter each
its about 3.35 cross section area
__________________
135i N55 / KW V3 / CP-E charge pipe / M3 Bushings / CP-E 5" DP / JB4 S2 / K&N inbox / M3 front control arms / Stud conversion kit / 12mm spacers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #39
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Stan.mac's Avatar
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (3)

^ I have no idea... It just seems a bit easier to modify that way vise trying to understand what BMW Eng did. Custom make the exhaust so if you don't like the exhaust note you can add to or take from rather easy.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #40
jhonson3141
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SHANGHAI

iTrader: (0)

guys, i have no drone at all from my 1m. is that normal with you guys? it was a chinese spec so we might have some minor difference.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #41
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonson3141 View Post
guys, i have no drone at all from my 1m. is that normal with you guys? it was a chinese spec so we might have some minor difference.
People have different perceptions of drone plus as you say Chinese market received modified exhaust muffler for 1M from factory. There were also different diagnosis in relation to source of drone in 1M: muffler, mids or an area under the trunk carpet, or a combination of some/all of these. My suggestion is since you don't have drone or you have but doesn't even bother you, just accept it as it is and don't worry about that, there were other people who claimed they never had any drone outside China.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 11:49 AM   #42
jhonson3141
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SHANGHAI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
People have different perceptions of drone plus as you say Chinese market received modified exhaust muffler for 1M from factory. There were also different diagnosis in relation to source of drone in 1M: muffler, mids or an area under the trunk carpet, or a combination of some/all of these. My suggestion is since you don't have drone or you have but doesn't even bother you, just accept it as it is and don't worry about that, there were other people who claimed they never had any drone outside China.
wow, you have a serious understanding of variation of 1m!

the reason i am pointing of the is that some chinese 1m owner is not happy with the muffler. It's has a piece of metal that block 2 exhaust exit makes sounded more quite, unbalance burn on exit, and perhaps less power.

I am one of those unhappy costumer. So i swap to meistershaft resonator mid and back. guess what??

very annoying drone from 2000rpm to 2900rpm. i cant hear radio, not Bluetooth telephone. even more not happy??

btw, i really like your N55+evolve post, what is one of the reason i have moved to this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 01:28 PM   #43
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonson3141 View Post
wow, you have a serious understanding of variation of 1m!

the reason i am pointing of the is that some chinese 1m owner is not happy with the muffler. It's has a piece of metal that block 2 exhaust exit makes sounded more quite, unbalance burn on exit, and perhaps less power.

I am one of those unhappy costumer. So i swap to meistershaft resonator mid and back. guess what??

very annoying drone from 2000rpm to 2900rpm. i cant hear radio, not Bluetooth telephone. even more not happy??

btw, i really like your N55+evolve post, what is one of the reason i have moved to this forum.
I still have some drone with my set up as well but compared to stock drone it is nothing really, totally negligable. I had drone between 2000 to 2900 with stock and it was quite annoying, now I have around 2200 to 2400 maybe and also less present even if you stick at that particular rpm. Doesn't bother me anymore, not in the city not on the highway.

I heard Meisterschaft with mids generate drone so maybe you try putting back your stock mids to experiment?

One thing is almost for sure the N55 midpipe minimizes and in some cars eliminates the drone.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
Stan.mac
Second Lieutenant
Stan.mac's Avatar
3
Rep
297
Posts

 
Drives: 135i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (3)

^ Well I think I'm going to just modify my N54 Mids and see how they sound... The cost of that would be far less then buying new mids and/or buying N55 mids.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST