BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
bmwlaguna
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe, 6spdAT

Ticking noise from left-rear @2500rpm

So I've been noticing a ticking sound at 2500 rpm. Very subtle tick tick tick and seems to be coming from the left rear of car (exhaust?)
It's only under easy throttle, and if you go above or below that 2500 mark, it stops. What is this weird noise?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #2
olds350
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi wagon

More details please. Only when driving? Standing still? Speed? Any way you can take a sound byte?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
Lucky1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Is it a tick or a metallic sounding rattle? I have a rattle with those symptoms and it happens whether applying throttle in neutral or in gear. My mechanic told me it was the exhaust, is common in BMW's and could only be fixed by replacing the exhaust. He went into more specific details but I can't remember exactly what he said. Since it happens when the car is in neutral at a certain rpm and it does sound like its coming from underneath somewhere I took him for his word on it.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 01:54 AM   #4
desertman123
Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I damn near have an identical problem, only mine is just about 3000 rpm while in gear (it can happen in neutral it's just a lot quieter). Mostly noticeable in 1st gear in parking garages, or driving next to walls/something that can reflect the sound. You can tell I've been monitoring it for a while lol.

Almost sounds like a rattling heatshield but it's not THAT metallic, varies with RPM too much. It would make sense that it's the exhaust - I'll take a look at all the hangers and anywhere pieces connect when I get a chance.

My 2008 128i - Sparkling Graphite/Beige - Sport pkg - 6MT

Parents' 2014 528i - Mineral White/Ivory White - fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 04:42 AM   #5
bmwlaguna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds350 View Post
More details please. Only when driving? Standing still? Speed? Any way you can take a sound byte?
Only when driving. Not sure of the exact speed but highway speed only at 2500 rpm. Starts ticking like the opening to 60 Minutes (lol) then stops as the rpms go higher (or lower). It's pretty reliable- I can make the noise happen if I go back and forth between 2300 and 2700 rpm.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:47 AM   #6
bmwlaguna
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Is it a tick or a metallic sounding rattle? I have a rattle with those symptoms and it happens whether applying throttle in neutral or in gear. My mechanic told me it was the exhaust, is common in BMW's and could only be fixed by replacing the exhaust. He went into more specific details but I can't remember exactly what he said. Since it happens when the car is in neutral at a certain rpm and it does sound like its coming from underneath somewhere I took him for his word on it.
Like the opening to 60 Minutes
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
chris_flies
Year One of the 1
United_States
Rep
Drives: Whilst Childishly Grinning

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I may have the same thing, too. I think it's my alternator pulley/bearings and/or various other belt-driven accessories. I'll do some more listening and try to find it...
2009 128i 6MT Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Pleather | DISA Mnfld. + Turner Tune + K&N + Char. Del. + Mishi. Boot | BMS Clutch Stp. + CDV & Sprg. Del. | WL RSFB Inserts + 15mm ECS RSB + All 1M Arms + Kon. Sprts. & Eibach Sprts. + Dinan Front Plates | F30 Grey Brmbos. + Slted. Rtrs. + DIY Dcts. | DIY Algnmnt. & Pin Del.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 09:19 AM   #8
rowsdower
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i 6MT Sport

I have that ticking noise too, but haven't noticed it being tied to an RPM. I notice it most often when starting the drive to work in the winter when the car is very cold. In all, I've got about a half dozen distinct noises my car makes and nothing has broken in 4 years / 50k miles, so I would say the ticking is not really a problem that needs solving (unless it's driving you crazy).
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #9
vinylengraver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Could it be the exhaust flapper valve?
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
desertman123
Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
I may have the same thing, too. I think it's my alternator pulley/bearings and/or various other belt-driven accessories. I'll do some more listening and try to find it...
I gave my belt system a quick inspection and noticed zero noises. Checked the torque on the idler and tensioner as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
I have that ticking noise too, but haven't noticed it being tied to an RPM. I notice it most often when starting the drive to work in the winter when the car is very cold. In all, I've got about a half dozen distinct noises my car makes and nothing has broken in 4 years / 50k miles, so I would say the ticking is not really a problem that needs solving (unless it's driving you crazy).
Honestly this is where I'm at, it makes noise but I know exactly when and how it happens, so as long as I don't get any oil pressure lights, I'm not too concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
It can be, but not always. I've had my flapper rattle before but it was pretty obvious that that's what it was. Now my old muffler is sitting in my attic and I still have the rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwlaguna View Post
Only when driving. Not sure of the exact speed but highway speed only at 2500 rpm. Starts ticking like the opening to 60 Minutes (lol) then stops as the rpms go higher (or lower). It's pretty reliable- I can make the noise happen if I go back and forth between 2300 and 2700 rpm.
Mine is a little more tin-can like than the 60 minutes intro, but that's pretty accurate. And the RPM varying to make it start/stop is exactly what I can do, except mine is like +500RPM from yours (my sweetspot for noise is as I'm crossing into the 3000 RPM range).

To conclude: it annoys me but it seems like this is not an issue.

Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
Lucky1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertman123 View Post
Quote:
I gave my belt system a quick inspection and noticed zero noises. Checked the torque on the idler and tensioner as well.

Quote:
Honestly this is where I'm at, it makes noise but I know exactly when and how it happens, so as long as I don't get any oil pressure lights, I'm not too concerned.

Quote:
It can be, but not always. I've had my flapper rattle before but it was pretty obvious that that's what it was. Now my old muffler is sitting in my attic and I still have the rattle.

Quote:
Mine is a little more tin-can like than the 60 minutes intro, but that's pretty accurate. And the RPM varying to make it start/stop is exactly what I can do, except mine is like +500RPM from yours (my sweetspot for noise is as I'm crossing into the 3000 RPM range).

Are you a 2008 128i? There was a valve tick issue on cold startup on older N52's that required replacement of lifters and cylinder block.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #12
bmwlaguna
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"To conclude: it annoys me but it seems like this is not an issue."

Agreed on that point. I am thinking it's the exhaust flapper. I know it's not the valves- I have a 2013, and the noise is definitely coming from the rear of the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
desertman123
Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Are you a 2008 128i? There was a valve tick issue on cold startup on older N52's that required replacement of lifters and cylinder block.
Yeah I should have the lifter tick, but this can happen on a fully warm car.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #14
Ladydragonz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i M Sport

I have the same tick, but can't pinpoint if its coming from the front or back.

I only notice it if I'm driving next to a concrete divider and I have the windows down in heavy traffic driving in 1st or 2nd gear.
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2017, 10:54 PM   #15
chris_flies
Year One of the 1
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
It could be some chatter in the drivetrain. I know that our cars create a horrendous chatter when in neutral (manual trans) with the clutch engaged (pedal towards you) if you get some stiff transmission mounts installed. That may be something to do with that...
2009 128i 6MT Coupé | Monaco Blue with Black Pleather | DISA Mnfld. + Turner Tune + K&N + Char. Del. + Mishi. Boot | BMS Clutch Stp. + CDV & Sprg. Del. | WL RSFB Inserts + 15mm ECS RSB + All 1M Arms + Kon. Sprts. & Eibach Sprts. + Dinan Front Plates | F30 Grey Brmbos. + Slted. Rtrs. + DIY Dcts. | DIY Algnmnt. & Pin Del.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #16
bmwlaguna
Rep

Solved...

THX everyone for your responses!

As it so happened, I "interviewed" a couple indy shops today and I asked one of the shop guys about the tick. He came out to the car and went underneath and it is indeed the exhaust flap, doing it's job.

First off- I had no idea I even had this, I thought it was only on the 3 series for some reason. Oh well.

AND, in light of this guy's interest and expertise- I now have my independent BMW shop lined up.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #17
desertman123
Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydragonz View Post
I have the same tick, but can't pinpoint if its coming from the front or back.

I only notice it if I'm driving next to a concrete divider and I have the windows down in heavy traffic driving in 1st or 2nd gear.
Quote:
THX everyone for your responses!

As it so happened, I "interviewed" a couple indy shops today and I asked one of the shop guys about the tick. He came out to the car and went underneath and it is indeed the exhaust flap, doing it's job.

First off- I had no idea I even had this, I thought it was only on the 3 series for some reason. Oh well.

AND, in light of this guy's interest and expertise- I now have my independent BMW shop lined up.

I think we're describing a few different issues. I've had my exhaust valve flapper make a rattling noise (if someone actually cares, you can find my thread about it). But now I have a muffler delete, so there is a 0% chance this is it.

Ladydragonz described my issue to a T. At around 2700-3200RPM-ish, next to a wall or something that can reflect the sound (or parking garage), going at low speeds, usually 1st or 2nd (for me, even 3rd gear but that's because I got a shorter ratio diff) there will be a rattle that varies with noise and is very consistent.

Appreciate 1
      12-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #18
chris_flies
Year One of the 1
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Quote:
I think we're describing a few different issues. I've had my exhaust valve flapper make a rattling noise (if someone actually cares, you can find my thread about it). But now I have a muffler delete, so there is a 0% chance this is it.

Ladydragonz described my issue to a T. At around 2700-3200RPM-ish, next to a wall or something that can reflect the sound (or parking garage), going at low speeds, usually 1st or 2nd (for me, even 3rd gear but that's because I got a shorter ratio diff) there will be a rattle that varies with noise and is very consistent.
Hmm. I don't have a rattle, but I do have noise like a whistle that varies with RPM, but is most noticeable at 3.5k-ish. Sort of like a turbo noise. My exhaust flap rattles when I have the throttle at a high setting, while engine RPM is pretty low, but it's not noticeable in the cabin. My car has too many sounds to get a good fix on any of them right now. A new rear wheel bearing is among the next things to repair (yes, I'm fixing things now, not just modding) along with some new rear brake rotors which recently showed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #19
bmwlaguna
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm. I don't have a rattle, but I do have noise like a whistle that varies with RPM, but is most noticeable at 3.5k-ish. Sort of like a turbo noise. My exhaust flap rattles when I have the throttle at a high setting, while engine RPM is pretty low, but it's not noticeable in the cabin. My car has too many sounds to get a good fix on any of them right now. A new rear wheel bearing is among the next things to repair (yes, I'm fixing things now, not just modding) along with some new rear brake rotors which recently showed up.
Lol I hate noises!
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 01:26 AM   #20
desertman123
Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
I did some more research. E90Post has a lot of people from a few years ago who had this rattle, and it was either the exhaust flapper in the muffler, or apparently an exhaust hanger/strap likes to work itself loose. One guy had it so he couldn't even tighten it enough to stop the noise, but a bit of heat wrap and it solved his issues.

Back on the jack stands she goes.

Appreciate 1
      12-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #21
desertman123
Mudflap Ambassador
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [5.00]
Update: checked out the entire exhaust and it's definitely the source. I tapped the entire exhaust with a rubber mallet, both "freely" and while my other hand held different parts of the pipes to damp any vibrations. Seems like its coming from INSIDE the resonator. Not sure what I'd do about that so I just tightened the rubber damper more and it quieted it down a fair bit, but still not gone
Appreciate 1