BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
c_ozanich
ENGINEER

Drives: '11 135i 6MT M-Pack

Carbon Fiber Side Splitters!

Well guys, I pulled the trigger this morning on a set of CF Side Splitters from Cyprus. Been talking to the seller for a few days now and decided to give them a try. Looks like decent quality but will definitely do an in depth review once I receive them.

Our side skirts (from what I measured) are 75.5675 inches, so I ordered a set of custom lengthened 1.92m splitters. They look wide enough to have room to make cut outs for Jack locations, I'll inspect more and have a DIY write up done about install.

I feel this community is too secretive regarding the few that have had custom CF splitters made--I'm going to change that

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271405699345...84.m1439.l2649
BMS n55 INTAKE | JB4 G5 ISO | AR DESIGN DP | BERKtech MID | CUSTOM PE MOD | ER FMIC & CP | BMS CDV | LM REPS in "Lollipop RED" | V12's | 35%-20% JOHNSON FILMS | LED SIGNALS | FLAT BLACK KIDNEYS | ST COILS | KERSCHER LIP
c_ozanich is offline   United_States
      06-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
MBM6F
Shazaam

Drives: BMW 135i

Awesome. I'd be very interested in these as well. If you wind up modifying them, it would be a great idea to make a template for others who wish to as well!
2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M bumper - VRSF DP's
      06-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #3
inFamousKicks
Member.

Drives: AW N55 135i

Nice. Excited to see a review.
      06-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #4
c_ozanich
ENGINEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBM6F View Post
Awesome. I'd be very interested in these as well. If you wind up modifying them, it would be a great idea to make a template for others who wish to as well!
that is the plan. Thought was to CAD up templates for front and back that can be a tape on and follow lines while cutting
BMS n55 INTAKE | JB4 G5 ISO | AR DESIGN DP | BERKtech MID | CUSTOM PE MOD | ER FMIC & CP | BMS CDV | LM REPS in "Lollipop RED" | V12's | 35%-20% JOHNSON FILMS | LED SIGNALS | FLAT BLACK KIDNEYS | ST COILS | KERSCHER LIP
      06-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #5
BMist371
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 135i Vert

In for fitment
      06-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #6
MBM6F
Shazaam

Drives: BMW 135i

Awesome. Keep us informed!
2009 135i M Sport 6MT - ER CP - HKS BOV - AFE Intake - Cobb AP - Remus Quad Race Exhaust - CF Quad Diffuser - CF Spoiler - 19" Alufelgen CSL's - Hardwired V1 - Laser Interceptor Dual - Black Grilles - 1M bumper - VRSF DP's
      06-04-2014, 04:12 PM   #7
ryan.ferguson
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 135i Coupe Montego Blue

Garage List
Subscribed! Can't wait for details about the quality of the splitters and pictures of the fitment!
      06-04-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
3002 tii
Major General

Drives: flat out

Garage List
I actually recognize that car in the auction, I think... looks like Titanium Silver Z4M ) off a member dubsesd. I think he has that same bbk and CF sides. You should PM him for questions regarding fitment, assuming seller didn't steal those pics and they sold him the CF pieces.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=936261

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
      06-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #9
BimmerE82
Captain

Drives: 2009 BMW 135i Sport package

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [3.50]
Very interesting! Can't wait to hear what you think and the photos.
      06-04-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
lazyd0c
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 135i 6MT

can't wait!
JB4 | BMS intake | ETS 5" intercooler | ETS CP | AA catless DP | Berk Street axleback | KW v1 coils | Gloss Black Performance Grilles | Blackline tails | Vinyl wrapped roof + mirror caps | CF spoiler + diffuser
      06-04-2014, 10:27 PM   #11
135Pats
The time has come.

Drives: 135i

subscribed
E88 N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Motiv HTA 3586R/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 FCA + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      06-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #12
Chrisar82
Captain

Drives: around Philadelphia

Thats a big piece of carbon fiber. I wonder if you could use it for other stuff like a front lip? It looks wide enough and if you had the performance bumper it could work since its all flat on the bottom. and the price isn't too bad.
      06-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
c_ozanich
ENGINEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisar82 View Post
Thats a big piece of carbon fiber. I wonder if you could use it for other stuff like a front lip? It looks wide enough and if you had the performance bumper it could work since its all flat on the bottom. and the price isn't too bad.
I actually have the Kerscher splitter so I'm hoping they flow nicely with that.

Vendor sent me email on Friday, 6/6/2014 that item was processed for shipping. I should have them by 6/24/2014
      06-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
shah269
Captain

Drives: 2009

this is going to be SSSIIIIKKK!!
It's going to look very good!
shah269 is offline   United_States
      06-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #15
cheshirecat79
Captain

Drives: 370z & 135i

To the OP: not sure who has been "keeping secrets" about fabricating side skirts (or if anyone has actually asked any questions)... it's not a very complicated process. As far as the part, I would suggest against purchasing that exact curved unit and, instead, running with a piece that's a uniform length and width that's around 6-7'' wide. Remember that the stock skirts bulge a LOT in the middle and dive in toward the wheel arches. The performance skirts (Which I used) do not curve as much.

You're going to have to cut some holes for the oem skirt pressure clips as well as notch out the area for the lift inserts. Tape will not be enough for the skirts. You can use some self-tapping screws or (what I did) create a mounting setup for the addons to mount to the skirt using the OEM hardware. If I were to do it over again, I would drill out the holes completely where the pressure clips are and use a thin piece of metal affixed to the top of the skirt to give the clips something to attach to. I personally used closed-cell pvc which was then paint-matched.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a couple of pictures.

cheshirecat79 is offline   United_States
      06-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #16
c_ozanich
ENGINEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
To the OP: not sure who has been "keeping secrets" about fabricating side skirts (or if anyone has actually asked any questions)... it's not a very complicated process. As far as the part, I would suggest against purchasing that exact curved unit and, instead, running with a piece that's a uniform length and width that's around 6-7'' wide. Remember that the stock skirts bulge a LOT in the middle and dive in toward the wheel arches. The performance skirts (Which I used) do not curve as much.

You're going to have to cut some holes for the oem skirt pressure clips as well as notch out the area for the lift inserts. Tape will not be enough for the skirts. You can use some self-tapping screws or (what I did) create a mounting setup for the addons to mount to the skirt using the OEM hardware. If I were to do it over again, I would drill out the holes completely where the pressure clips are and use a thin piece of metal affixed to the top of the skirt to give the clips something to attach to. I personally used closed-cell pvc which was then paint-matched.

I have PMed multiple guys, every time I see anyone's signature pic or an uploaded pic of their car that has splitters to try to find where/who/how they got them. Out of all of them not one even responded, and they are active members.

I do appreciate your input/thoughts and will take it into consideration when mounting. If I run into any hiccups I'll be sure to come your way first--thank you
      06-09-2014, 02:34 PM   #17
cheshirecat79
Captain

You're welcome- best of luck. Once you take off that skirt to make your measurements you'll see that's it's a pretty easy process. Looking forward to pics.
      06-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #18
e90Nick
Enlisted Member

Drives: White e46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
You're welcome- best of luck. Once you take off that skirt to make your measurements you'll see that's it's a pretty easy process. Looking forward to pics.
Your car looks great. Did you just buy a piece of carbon fiber trim and cut it down to length?

Also, what headlights are those?
      06-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #19
cheshirecat79
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90Nick View Post
Your car looks great. Did you just buy a piece of carbon fiber trim and cut it down to length?
Also, what headlights are those?
as mentioned earlier in the thread, it's closed-cell pvc which is paint-matched.

the headlights are stock xenon ahl's modified by oss designs.
      06-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #20
Endless135
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 Black E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
I have PMed multiple guys, every time I see anyone's signature pic or an uploaded pic of their car that has splitters to try to find where/who/how they got them. Out of all of them not one even responded, and they are active members.

I do appreciate your input/thoughts and will take it into consideration when mounting. If I run into any hiccups I'll be sure to come your way first--thank you
I totally agree with this statement about people not wanting others to get their hands on side splitters.. its sad that they don't want to share with the 1er community but appreciate everyone else who does.
      06-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #21
c_ozanich
ENGINEER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless135 View Post
I totally agree with this statement about people not wanting others to get their hands on side splitters.. its sad that they don't want to share with the 1er community but appreciate everyone else who does.
if this turns out to be a viable product/eBay seller...everyone will know. DIY thread coming either way
      06-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #22
Joaco135
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 135i DCT, M Sport PKG

[quote=cheshirecat79;16096290]To the OP: not sure who has been "keeping secrets" about fabricating side skirts (or if anyone has actually asked any questions)... it's not a very complicated process. As far as the part, I would suggest against purchasing that exact curved unit and, instead, running with a piece that's a uniform length and width that's around 6-7'' wide. Remember that the stock skirts bulge a LOT in the middle and dive in toward the wheel arches. The performance skirts (Which I used) do not curve as much.

Where did you buy the closed-cell pvc?
Joaco135 is offline   United_States