BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Cap for Front towing Hook

Does any one know what is OEM part number for front cap that covers the towing hook? and where do I buy one online?



The dealer wants $50!!!
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
173
Rep
5,369
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
I'm not too surprised by the $50 figure as it needs to be painted body color.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2014 CC R-Line DSG | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Venom
Colonel
Venom's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,124
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83
Does any one know what is OEM part number for front cap that covers the towing hook? and where do I buy one online?



The dealer wants $50!!!
on amazon its 30 unpainted. from any BMW parts supplies you have to buy a set of 5 and they are between $12-20 not incl tax and shipping.
__________________
Venom Build Log
Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, RR DPs, GTHaus Meistershaft Exhaust, RKP GTS Wing, Wagner FMIC, VMR V701s in Scarlet Red, Custom shift knob, Full 1M Body Conversion, and more.

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
3,847
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
GetBMWParts.com has them for less than $20 unpainted...
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

what is the part number? or what is the exact name for it?

and if I bought it unpainted, what do you recommend to where and how to paint it?
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

nvm i found it tow eye cap..

is M sprot package considered Performance package?
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
Venom
Colonel
Venom's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,124
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
GetBMWParts.com has them for less than $20 unpainted...
But you have to buy 5 or that's what they told me
__________________
Venom Build Log
Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, RR DPs, GTHaus Meistershaft Exhaust, RKP GTS Wing, Wagner FMIC, VMR V701s in Scarlet Red, Custom shift knob, Full 1M Body Conversion, and more.

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Venom
Colonel
Venom's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,124
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
nvm i found it tow eye cap..

is M sprot package considered Performance package?
I don't believe so, performance package should be the performance parts. ///M Sport is a whole different style

This is the performance front bumper and sideskirt
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...70442891_1.jpg

Don't know if the tow hook eye is the same for both.
__________________
Venom Build Log
Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, RR DPs, GTHaus Meistershaft Exhaust, RKP GTS Wing, Wagner FMIC, VMR V701s in Scarlet Red, Custom shift knob, Full 1M Body Conversion, and more.

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
3,847
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
But you have to buy 5 or that's what they told me
I have bought several, never had to buy in quantity before. I ordered them via the website and there was no restriction.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Venom
Colonel
Venom's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,124
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I have bought several, never had to buy in quantity before. I ordered them via the website and there was no restriction.
Thanks! I will buy from them then

that I was told otherwise from several other competitors.
__________________
Venom Build Log
Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, RR DPs, GTHaus Meistershaft Exhaust, RKP GTS Wing, Wagner FMIC, VMR V701s in Scarlet Red, Custom shift knob, Full 1M Body Conversion, and more.

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
3,847
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I use them a lot - always good prices and quick delivery.

But what IS it with these people who steal tow-hook covers? They took both the front and rear from my wife's 128i! In shopping center parking lots, no less!
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
Venom
Colonel
Venom's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
2,124
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Huntington Beach, CA

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I use them a lot - always good prices and quick delivery.

But what IS it with these people who steal tow-hook covers? They took both the front and rear from my wife's 128i! In shopping center parking lots, no less!
That sucks
Sometimes you just gotta pray for karma to make its rounds.
__________________
Venom Build Log
Mods: JB4 G5 ISO, RR DPs, GTHaus Meistershaft Exhaust, RKP GTS Wing, Wagner FMIC, VMR V701s in Scarlet Red, Custom shift knob, Full 1M Body Conversion, and more.

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I use them a lot - always good prices and quick delivery.

But what IS it with these people who steal tow-hook covers? They took both the front and rear from my wife's 128i! In shopping center parking lots, no less!
I know !!!! I guess if the dealer is charging $50 they can sell them cheaper.

I parked the car new year eve and luckily we took pictures and i saw it in the pictures so i know it was there, then after we came back around 2:30am it was gone, I noticed it immediately because i parked the car in reverse.

Does any one have an advice on how to paint it? which spray paint to get ? clear coat?
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
3,847
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
That sucks
Sometimes you just gotta pray for karma to make its rounds.
For sure on that. Dunno what their motivation was, but I bought 2 sets of front and rear, and had them all painted by a bodyshop at the same time. Cost about $50 to do them, and I now have a spare pair of them just in case.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #15
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
61
Rep
3,847
Posts

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash83 View Post
I know !!!! I guess if the dealer is charging $50 they can sell them cheaper.

I parked the car new year eve and luckily we took pictures and i saw it in the pictures so i know it was there, then after we came back around 2:30am it was gone, I noticed it immediately because i parked the car in reverse.

Does any one have an advice on how to paint it? which spray paint to get ? clear coat?
You can buy spray paint that is as close to a factory match as possible, but with certain colors, particularly those with metallic and pearl in them, it's tough to get them to match exactly. When I took the new covers and the car to the body shop, the BMW-certified paint tech brought out several "sprayout" sheets and matched them to the bumper in the sun.

Now - here's the interesting part: according to the tech, when our cars are built, they don't have the bumpers when they come off the production line. Those are attached in a different facility, and the color will always be just a tiny shade off from the body of the car. He showed me how the sprayout for the bumper was different from the hood. And then he showed how the sprayout for the hood didn't quite match the bumper. True story!

The upshot is that you should probably buy a couple of these and do as I did in the message above - have them all painted, install the one(s) you're missing, and keep the rest for the next time it happens. It won't cost you all that much, and then you can "recover" without having to go through the hassle again.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #16
Ash83
Major
Ash83's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
1,172
Posts

Drives: 10' 135i (sold)/14' Audi RS5
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
You can buy spray paint that is as close to a factory match as possible, but with certain colors, particularly those with metallic and pearl in them, it's tough to get them to match exactly. When I took the new covers and the car to the body shop, the BMW-certified paint tech brought out several "sprayout" sheets and matched them to the bumper in the sun.

Now - here's the interesting part: according to the tech, when our cars are built, they don't have the bumpers when they come off the production line. Those are attached in a different facility, and the color will always be just a tiny shade off from the body of the car. He showed me how the sprayout for the bumper was different from the hood. And then he showed how the sprayout for the hood didn't quite match the bumper. True story!

The upshot is that you should probably buy a couple of these and do as I did in the message above - have them all painted, install the one(s) you're missing, and keep the rest for the next time it happens. It won't cost you all that much, and then you can "recover" without having to go through the hassle again.
Thanks
__________________
Alpine White, Coral RED , Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, M sport, 6MT, NAV, HiFi, USB-iPod, Bluetooth

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #17
rking117
Major
United_States
17
Rep
1,214
Posts

Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

For touch up paint, you can buy factory colored paint specifically for your vehicle. here at this site.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Just plug in your make and model and paint color and make sure you include if it is metallic or not and then select the application type. Because you need a spray you would order it in the spray can. Also note that you will need a clear coat to cover it to make it look factory. they offer that too. Just take your time when sprayng the pigment and clear so it doesnt run and you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
cpsquare8
Private
0
Rep
81
Posts

Drives: 135is
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Ebay has them in the $20 range for most makes and models. Some painted some unfinished.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:04 PM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST