BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Talking First Track Videos of the Year - PBIR 20130126

Yesterday (1/26/2013) was a blast, I was dying to get back out there. The day finally came, and here's a quick view of it.

About the car and the new parts, as expected, she is a bit oversteer hungry. Is it out of control? Is it random and unpredictable? No and No. The car feels like it's sliding "in a good way", the entire body through the corner. As Purple put it, it skates on four wheels.

It is so nice to be coming in/out of a corner, and give it a bit of throttle, have the car just point where you want it to go. It is a bit loose, specially for this track, so I loosened up the suspension a bit, since all the corners are so round and flat.

The rear body roll though is almost completely gone (better springs/suspension) would do the trick, I think. I can definitely benefit from bigger rubber, which as soon as I can, will be getting some APEX 9.5" all around and running 275/35/18 RS-3's for quite some time.

This was my first time on RS-3s at the track, these tires are simply amazing for "street tires". They do get a bit greasy towards the end of sessions, but for 97% of they're really good.

The AIM Solo-DL is really a nice piece of equipment, so much data. Here's a picture of my fastest lap (blue line) and second fastest (green line). Look and see how every little piece of inconsistency makes up worlds of difference, every 10th counts.



Not specifically my favorite track, but it's better than nothing. You'll notice that some of my lines are inconsistent, this is for the most part on purpose. Only my second time out to the track, and was trying to figure out the fastest/best path through. Specially on those wide rounded turns.

I was more than 3 seconds faster on street tires vs NT-01s the previous time.

Here's a video of the 4th session (2nd afternoon session). The only session I didn't screw up the downloading of Solo-DL data, it does contain my two fastest laps, but wish I had more data. I have all the laps, but no GPS positioning data, so cannot synchronize the data, it's my fault. Well now I know for next time. I also accidentally clicked the download and erase option, instead of download. So the Solo-DL is clear now.

When you download data from the DL there's multiple "test" profiles, only some of them download GPS information.

Highlights from the Day



Video - 4th Session



A bit better on oversteer this time



This SLS AMG was Annoying for 3 Sessions before they left, you'll see when I post the rest of the videos. Not more annoying than a Porsche, you won't miss it, congo line!.




I'll put up the rest as soon, unfortunately with no overlay data, maybe.

Edit:

Here's Session 5

For some reason, my GoPro decided not to record audio for the next two sessions. There's also no GPS positioning data, so was kinda of a pain to sync. I explained above how I screwed up the GPS data when downloaded from the AIM.



Session 6 - Open Track Session -- Again no sound (F*ck GoPro)



Session 3 - No data at all for this session.

__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||

Last edited by yandy; 02-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 374
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Nice Videos. I don't have that type of data acquisition so I'm not sure how to read the charts, but it looks good.

I'm not sure if you tried this, but if you race this track again I'd wonder if you couldn't go deeper after that long straight and take a late apex rather than staying close to the inside. That way you could get the wheel straight and get on the power quicker. After that turn it seems like if you had the next turn lined up you could be full throttle all the way through. Definitely not the racing line since you'd give up the inside and somebody could pass you under braking, but for non competitive stuff it might make you a little quicker.

The R-S3's are money. Great "street tires"! You're doing 275's at all 4 corners? Oh and how did the new harness work?
blutattoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Nice Videos. I don't have that type of data acquisition so I'm not sure how to read the charts, but it looks good.

I'm not sure if you tried this, but if you race this track again I'd wonder if you couldn't go deeper after that long straight and take a late apex rather than staying close to the inside. That way you could get the wheel straight and get on the power quicker. After that turn it seems like if you had the next turn lined up you could be full throttle all the way through. Definitely not the racing line since you'd give up the inside and somebody could pass you under braking, but for non competitive stuff it might make you a little quicker.

The R-S3's are money. Great "street tires"! You're doing 275's at all 4 corners? Oh and how did the new harness work?
Thanks!

This is my first time with this system, so it took me a bit, but not that hard once you read the labels on the right hand side. There's two lines on each row, each line corresponds to a a lap (I selected 2) that's why two lines. Just tells you how brake was applied, speed, rpm, G forces.. plus you can select other parameters.

I believe there's a video from one of the sessions where I tried something like this. Let's see when I get a chance to upload all of them. It turned out to be considerably slower. Not sure if it happens in the one posted, but there's also video of me trailing cars doing the same, which are slower as well through there. They may be on full power sooner, but probably have 20-30 feet to cover. While I'm at 1/3 throttle, but by the time they get to the straight, if this was open passing, I could've been long gone. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

Yup, I'm going 275 all around. I have the ER wide body so up front there's plenty of space for a 9.5" wheel with 275 tires. The rear's already rolled quite a bit, so with the right wheel (Apex 58mm or 62mm offset) the 275 should fit just fine. If not, then I can always roll them a bit more, not really worried about that.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Pig Farmer
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

^ I think the line you are describing is similar to the preferred line on turn 2 at Laguna Seca. This turn at PBIR is a bit different, as it makes more than a 180 degree turn followed by a quick turn to the left on the exit of the second apex. Best part... walls on either side. Get you rear tires in the sand while exiting and transitioning left will likely result in a call to the flatbed.
Pig Farmer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 374
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
^ I think the line you are describing is similar to the preferred line on turn 2 at Laguna Seca. This turn at PBIR is a bit different, as it makes more than a 180 degree turn followed by a quick turn to the left on the exit of the second apex. Best part... walls on either side. Get you rear tires in the sand while exiting and transitioning left will likely result in a call to the flatbed.
Yeah its definitely different than Laguna. It's like turn two @ Thunderhill a decreasing radius turn and if you stay out about 2/3's take a line that will bring you in contact with the apex you can get full throttle at the apex or slightly before effectively increasing your exit speed. Turn two at Laguna is almost like two turns in one and you can double apex it or late apex it, but it's a much slower turn due to the slight neg camber on exit compared to the track map on the video. I suppose if you're really proficient at trail braking then you could get in the same spot sooner on the inside, but it'd be damn hard to nail that every time. Or at least hard for me, my left foot is retarded. A lot will depend on how much push you get on exit. I suspect that going to 275's all the way around should get rid of most of the understeer.

Just a thought. If you get to track there often then you can experiment now that you have data acquisition. That is like the best learning tool when you're learning a track, well that and seat time.
blutattoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
bavarianstig
Private
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Randy, just a bit of constructive criticism that should apply not just to you, but anyone in this thread: I think we should move the focus away from the modifications and more towards improving the driver. A lot of us get excited about adding things to the car to make it faster, but sometimes we do this before we have maxed out our skills with our current setup. That said, here are some things I would suggest:

1) I don't know the history of what was said in previous threads about your rear body roll, but you don't want to completely eliminate it. That roll=grip. Part of the reason it is probably so "oversteer happy" right now is because you have the rear too stiff.
2) I would be very careful with your throttle inputs. Watching your oversteer clip, it's clear to me that you still aren't feeling/correcting the car fast enough when it looses rear grip. You should know the moment the rear wheels are starting to lose tracking and start making quick, small corrections mid corner. Not large, slow ones. Luckily that was a slow slide, but could have been much worse.
3) After listening/watching your revs, you need to work more on heel toe. If you keep overreving, you are increasing the likelihood of breaking the rear loose.

I think the best way to learn is without the Cobb. While it is fun, it's very important to learn the limits of the car on stock power. It allows for smoother transitions, and makes it more difficult to put yourself in power-oversteer situations.

I don't know what's available to you down in FL, but I believe that BMW CCA HPDEs are the best ways to learn. You not only get great track time, but I feel like the instructors are top notch (more so than PCA and other clubs). As a result, you see better drivers and driving groups.

Please don't take this to be a personal attack. You are doing a lot of things great, and making smooth inputs. I, myself like to learn whatever I can do to improve my driving, and appreciate input wherever I can get it. It makes us better drivers. I think the Aim is also a perfect tool to help assist with this very thing.
bavarianstig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianstig View Post
Randy, just a bit of constructive criticism that should apply not just to you, but anyone in this thread: I think we should move the focus away from the modifications and more towards improving the driver. A lot of us get excited about adding things to the car to make it faster, but sometimes we do this before we have maxed out our skills with our current setup. That said, here are some things I would suggest:

1) I don't know the history of what was said in previous threads about your rear body roll, but you don't want to completely eliminate it. That roll=grip. Part of the reason it is probably so "oversteer happy" right now is because you have the rear too stiff.
2) I would be very careful with your throttle inputs. Watching your oversteer clip, it's clear to me that you still aren't feeling/correcting the car fast enough when it looses rear grip. You should know the moment the rear wheels are starting to lose tracking and start making quick, small corrections mid corner. Not large, slow ones. Luckily that was a slow slide, but could have been much worse.
3) After listening/watching your revs, you need to work more on heel toe. If you keep overreving, you are increasing the likelihood of breaking the rear loose.

I think the best way to learn is without the Cobb. While it is fun, it's very important to learn the limits of the car on stock power. It allows for smoother transitions, and makes it more difficult to put yourself in power-oversteer situations.

I don't know what's available to you down in FL, but I believe that BMW CCA HPDEs are the best ways to learn. You not only get great track time, but I feel like the instructors are top notch (more so than PCA and other clubs). As a result, you see better drivers and driving groups.

Please don't take this to be a personal attack. You are doing a lot of things great, and making smooth inputs. I, myself like to learn whatever I can do to improve my driving, and appreciate input wherever I can get it. It makes us better drivers. I think the Aim is also a perfect tool to help assist with this very thing.
There's no way I can take this as a personal attack. You provide great input and this type of comments are the reason I even bother to post this up. It's not to say, oh look how cool I am by any means.

About the overrev part, not sure if you can tell from the video, but that's not me downshifting and the car revving because I failed to match. Those are throttle input prior to shift (heal/toe). While it is far from perfect, the car is not jerking, or slamming into itself. At the corner entry, it's at the gear I want, and with a smooth transition. Maybe it looks in the video like it's over revving from not matching it, but that's not the case at all. Like I said though, it is far from perfect.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Evice
Major
 
Evice's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 128i M-sport and '98 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere here

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (1)

what suspension do you have on this car? I don't know the history.
__________________
-- '09 BSM 128i - '98 E36 M3 - BMWCR IS #718
BMWCCA Instructor & 2013 BMWCR I-Sport National Champion.
http://www.youtube.com/alisalih
Evice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice
what suspension do you have on this car? I don't know the history.
Besides what you saw in the other thread, they are KW V2.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
IGoFast1589
Captain
 
IGoFast1589's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NY

Posts: 654
iTrader: (2)

Damn your car picks up speed fast...
IGoFast1589 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #11
Evice
Major
 
Evice's Avatar
 
Drives: BSM 128i M-sport and '98 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somewhere here

Posts: 1,419
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Besides what you saw in the other thread, they are KW V2.
V2 is only rebound damping, not rebound and compression right, I can't remember?

If you have compression, you can dial down (soften) the compression couple clicks (generally compression is clicks) to help with your transitional oversteer.
__________________
-- '09 BSM 128i - '98 E36 M3 - BMWCR IS #718
BMWCCA Instructor & 2013 BMWCR I-Sport National Champion.
http://www.youtube.com/alisalih
Evice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evice View Post
V2 is only rebound damping, not rebound and compression right, I can't remember?

If you have compression, you can dial down (soften) the compression couple clicks (generally compression is clicks) to help with your transitional oversteer.
Yea, V2 only does height and rebound, no compression adjustment. Once I get the driver coach and get used to this setup for the next year or so. I may end up going Clubsport or JRZ if I turn this into track only car.

But as many have said, I need to upgrade myself first.

A bit of backstory as to why the car has so many performance parts (not just the suspension and diff stuff) power adders.

When I bought the car, I didn't even know you could do these type of events (HPDE). I did the whole 1/4 mile thing, meth, blah blah before one day, my friend asked me to go with him to one of these. I was surprised, but on a 2-for-1 deal, I couldn't resist. That was the beginning of the end for me.

I have since removed the meth (used it for a bit with 70% water to help it cool). I'm using a 25% e85 to help with heat and detonation, again not for power, I can care less about that. The Cobb stays on because of all the codes I get with it off. I know I don't have to explain myself to anyone, but since all of you have been helpful, figured I'd give you a background.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Added 3 more videos, and that should be it for that.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 845
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
What map were you running on the Cobb and what was your heat situation like?
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #15
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
What map were you running on the Cobb and what was your heat situation like?
I was running the Cobb STG2+Agg with 93+2 Gals of e85, the e85 really helps maintain the consistency. It doesn't add any power to that map, not tuned for it, but it's enough to just help prevent detonation and keep it's power. I do this from experience before with just 93 oct and a less aggressive map.

The env temps were around 77 so relatively cool day, from the logs and you can see the oil temp gauge in the video, the highest it got were 273. Didn't log IAT, but from the back straight and how consistent it was, I assume they were within range. I run the modified airbox (Mr.5) intake, which helps keep them cool.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutattoo View Post
Nice Videos. I don't have that type of data acquisition so I'm not sure how to read the charts, but it looks good.

I'm not sure if you tried this, but if you race this track again I'd wonder if you couldn't go deeper after that long straight and take a late apex rather than staying close to the inside. That way you could get the wheel straight and get on the power quicker. After that turn it seems like if you had the next turn lined up you could be full throttle all the way through. Definitely not the racing line since you'd give up the inside and somebody could pass you under braking, but for non competitive stuff it might make you a little quicker.

The R-S3's are money. Great "street tires"! You're doing 275's at all 4 corners? Oh and how did the new harness work?
I never answered your harness question.

The harness was really great, held me in place, I can finally concentrate on driving and not holding on to the wheel just to stay in place. I highly recommend if for a quick setup to those with stock seats.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:33 PM   #17
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,231
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
I bet it must feel good to dust off and get back in the saddle. we are proud of you! btw you should place your overlay data graphics on the right side so it doesn't block your hands. also there has been some good advise and not wanting to pile on but I am not totally happy with how you hold the steering wheel. if I may use a crude analogy; holding the steering wheel in your hand should feel like holding your johnson rather than fondling breasts for the first time when is your next event?
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #18
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
I bet it must feel good to dust off and get back in the saddle. we are proud of you! btw you should place your overlay data graphics on the right side so it doesn't block your hands. also there has been some good advise and not wanting to pile on but I am not totally happy with how you hold the steering wheel. if I may use a crude analogy; holding the steering wheel in your hand should feel like holding your johnson rather than fondling breasts for the first time when is your next event?
It felt so freaking good to be back out there!

I've been trying to shake off that steering wheel thing for a while. If you look hard, there's times where I force myself to do it. You're not the first to tell me, yes it's annoying .

I'll keep the overlay thing in mind, I put it there just to try and line it up with the cluster, but you make a good point.

My next event is Feb 10th 2013, so in two weeks . I'll be going back to the place where I left the mark on the wall .. lets see how I do.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:38 PM   #19
DallasBoosted
Captain
 
DallasBoosted's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Dallas

Posts: 845
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
I was running the Cobb STG2+Agg with 93+2 Gals of e85, the e85 really helps maintain the consistency. It doesn't add any power to that map, not tuned for it, but it's enough to just help prevent detonation and keep it's power. I do this from experience before with just 93 oct and a less aggressive map.

The env temps were around 77 so relatively cool day, from the logs and you can see the oil temp gauge in the video, the highest it got were 273. Didn't log IAT, but from the back straight and how consistent it was, I assume they were within range. I run the modified airbox (Mr.5) intake, which helps keep them cool.
Sounds fun. Thanks. I'm doing my first event with the Cobb in a couple weeks, trying to decide where to start with the maps. Your solution sounds good.
DallasBoosted is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Sounds fun. Thanks. I'm doing my first event with the Cobb in a couple weeks, trying to decide where to start with the maps. Your solution sounds good.
Glad I can help at least a bit, have fun!
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 09:12 PM   #21
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,959
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Derple View Post
Re: oversteer. Open you hands on the exit as you apply the throttle. I remember this is what happened in homestead. You bind the car in the second half of the corner and when you go to power there is too much lateral load on the car. And remember that when you turn the steering wheel it behaves like a brake on the front tires so the weight is on the front when you're trying to put power down. Anyways I think that corner doesn't need to be compromised so much that left turn isn't much. I like to free the car up as soon as I can so I can be on more throttle. Just be aware that if you have fast hands in the right to left transition you might get some spring flick action that will toss the rear around the other way. Anticipate that it might happen so you can catch it and don't lift or you will loop.
Open hands as in unwind the wheel a bit more? From my best lap video/log seems like I got best results that way. Not exactly going wider, but taking almost a straight line towards the first apex, then turn and unwind towards the second apex heading into the slight left. I think there's still some time left on the table there, but it was the best results that day.

Just want to make sure I understand correctly and if that's what you mean.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
Guardian
Private
 
Guardian's Avatar
 
Drives: 135is, AW/Coral Red #190/586
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Richmond, VA

Posts: 88
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
I was running the Cobb STG2+Agg with 93+2 Gals of e85, the e85 really helps maintain the consistency. It doesn't add any power to that map, not tuned for it, but it's enough to just help prevent detonation and keep it's power. I do this from experience before with just 93 oct and a less aggressive map.

The env temps were around 77 so relatively cool day, from the logs and you can see the oil temp gauge in the video, the highest it got were 273. Didn't log IAT, but from the back straight and how consistent it was, I assume they were within range. I run the modified airbox (Mr.5) intake, which helps keep them cool.
Were you getting pulled timing with the previous 93oct and less aggressive map? I would be personally curious to see what the IATs were, but regardless, runs look great.
Guardian is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST