BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom

Drives: E82 135i

External Video Source in CCC iDrive

Hi all,

This isn't another "can I watch dvd video with my CCC iDrive?". We all know that this is not possible.

However, what is possible is installing an external video input module that sits in between the wiring of your car and the iDrive screen which interrupts the signal of the iDrive to display your video input such as an in-car DVD player when it is switched on. Ok, so it's not as seamless or as OE as stock, obviously, but for those of us with 2008/2009 N54's which we love and cherish it's an option at least other than trading for a 2009/2010 N54 which may have been well abused.

I have found one solution here: http://www.navvideo.com/navvideo-models-nv_bmw356.asp which looks OK although I have never been behind the dash in this respect.
It also requires that you book into a BMW dealer for the Auxiliary Connector Retrofit cable to be installed (http://www.navvideo.com/downloads/bmw_auxinput.pdf) and coded allowing input of audio through your stereo using an external source however, if you already have the 6FL aux/USB option, is this still required would you think or would the retrofit override that (not what I want)?

I can only find this kit installed on an E60, no E8x and I wondered if anyone may have some info?

It's just and idea at present, in the real world I'll probably end up trading my 135i for a 435i, late model E92 M3 or 1M in a year or so but I thought it's worth a shot.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0