BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
6
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Gopro + 1m test

Hey guys. Just got my GoPro up and running. Thought I would share one of the smaller videos before I edited the bigger ones. Stay tuned for 1M vs Ferrari F430 rolling and standing starts



Just a short clip of me giving the engine a bit of a rev.
__________________
2012 1M - Aw - Akrapovic Evolution & downpipe, CF tips, Gruppe M intake, ESS tune, KW coilovers
2011 X1 Xdrive 2.0D - sparkling bronze/black - Hifi sound system, sports steering wheel, climate control, automatic, cruise control
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
vito747
Private
2
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 1 coupe M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona

iTrader: (0)

Waiting!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 02:50 AM   #3
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
6
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Here you go guys

Sorry about all the wind noise. My next one will be done with 2 Gopros. I'll set one up in my car next time. The camera was directed in a forward facing position for the rolling starts. Sorry about not seeing the gap off the standing starts.

__________________
2012 1M - Aw - Akrapovic Evolution & downpipe, CF tips, Gruppe M intake, ESS tune, KW coilovers
2011 X1 Xdrive 2.0D - sparkling bronze/black - Hifi sound system, sports steering wheel, climate control, automatic, cruise control
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:20 AM   #4
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Way to go driving like a dickhead on public roads. Go to a track!
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:30 AM   #5
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
6
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

How is that dick head driving? Do you know the speeds we went from and up to? Didn't think so. Do you know the roads or the limits on them? Get off your high horse dude. I will bet money on that you've done similar. Fly by was at 5am on a Sunday morning out in the middle of no where with guys watching both sides and available communication to the driver

Track days are booked btw.
__________________
2012 1M - Aw - Akrapovic Evolution & downpipe, CF tips, Gruppe M intake, ESS tune, KW coilovers
2011 X1 Xdrive 2.0D - sparkling bronze/black - Hifi sound system, sports steering wheel, climate control, automatic, cruise control
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
Aussie_in_London's Avatar
34
Rep
1,664
Posts

 
Drives: 1M & track built Astra OPC
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Isn't that how you drive to stay alive when transiting through J'burg, fast is the law bar the stopping at traffic lights bit
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
How is that dick head driving? Do you know the speeds we went from and up to? Didn't think so. Do you know the roads or the limits on them? Get off your high horse dude. I will bet money on that you've done similar. Fly by was at 5am on a Sunday morning out in the middle of no where with guys watching both sides and available communication to the driver

Track days are booked btw.
I grew up in SA
Looks like street racing from lights to me, get t-boned by a minibus. As for highway, you are certainly going way faster than 120kmh.

Grow up and do it a drag strip or track
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:02 AM   #8
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
6
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I grew up in SA
Looks like street racing from lights to me, get t-boned by a minibus. As for highway, you are certainly going way faster than 120kmh.

Grow up and do it a drag strip or track
Guess you will never know As for the drag strips since you lived here you would know the crap that goes down there.
Thanks for your concerns and advice. Not going to turn this into a handbag argument.
__________________
2012 1M - Aw - Akrapovic Evolution & downpipe, CF tips, Gruppe M intake, ESS tune, KW coilovers
2011 X1 Xdrive 2.0D - sparkling bronze/black - Hifi sound system, sports steering wheel, climate control, automatic, cruise control
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
SP33DYV
Enlisted Member
SP33DYV's Avatar
South Africa
0
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 1M + e46 325i Individual
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Shouldn't this be in the TLGP section? Or is there no TLGP section?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #10
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

I think you posted when you first had the car that your brother has a F430 and 1M felt faster, am I remembering right?

Other than an in-gear acceleration time I don't think a stock 1M can be faster than a F430 either rolling start or dead start, no data supports this. Videos show us that you do make better launch than the driver in F430.

With a few mods a similar performance can easily be achieved from 1M though.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Notion-Za
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
6
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Hey Oz,

yes that was me. The results speak for themselves. When we first had a run with each other he had his roof down. We were neck in neck then. It's amazing what happens when that roof is up. I'll try get another vid with his roof down.

Running in 3rd gear at those same speeds would have given the advantage to the M due to the lower down torque. We used 2nd as both cars were in their power band.

The launch isn't the problem for him. I have the advantage because he doesn't want to use launch control because it kills the clutch and they aren't cheap to replace. The Ferrari is a better car no doubt. The astonishing thing is that comparing the price of these two cars and their performance. The exhaust note and the gearbox in that F430 make it worth every penny imo.

With a chip in the 1M things will be much closer when his roof is up. I also think my bro has gotten a lot more comfortable in his car That second launch saw him wheel spinning like a mad man in 1st. Blue smoke every where. Really wish I caught that on film.

Not hating on either car. One day I hope I can be as lucky as he is and own a fezza. South Africa is about 1500feet above sea level so at the coast the results would see an even bigger gap.
__________________
2012 1M - Aw - Akrapovic Evolution & downpipe, CF tips, Gruppe M intake, ESS tune, KW coilovers
2011 X1 Xdrive 2.0D - sparkling bronze/black - Hifi sound system, sports steering wheel, climate control, automatic, cruise control
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Artemis
Brigadier General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
103
Rep
3,364
Posts

 
Drives: 1M (VO)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Apart from drive(r) skills and reflexes, there is also the weight factor (passenger on board, fuel load) and the state of the tires.

Normally the Ferrari should outrun the 1M.
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #13
flzrider
Captain
9
Rep
666
Posts

 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Way to go driving like a dickhead on public roads. Go to a track!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #14
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
46
Rep
3,053
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notion-Za View Post
Hey Oz,

yes that was me. The results speak for themselves. When we first had a run with each other he had his roof down. We were neck in neck then. It's amazing what happens when that roof is up. I'll try get another vid with his roof down.

Running in 3rd gear at those same speeds would have given the advantage to the M due to the lower down torque. We used 2nd as both cars were in their power band.

The launch isn't the problem for him. I have the advantage because he doesn't want to use launch control because it kills the clutch and they aren't cheap to replace. The Ferrari is a better car no doubt. The astonishing thing is that comparing the price of these two cars and their performance. The exhaust note and the gearbox in that F430 make it worth every penny imo.

With a chip in the 1M things will be much closer when his roof is up. I also think my bro has gotten a lot more comfortable in his car That second launch saw him wheel spinning like a mad man in 1st. Blue smoke every where. Really wish I caught that on film.

Not hating on either car. One day I hope I can be as lucky as he is and own a fezza. South Africa is about 1500feet above sea level so at the coast the results would see an even bigger gap.
No launch control and altitude explain it better now
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #15
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

This is such a loser thread! Street racing .... my 1M is faster than a F430 .... Filming yourself doing illegal activities on a public website is epic dumbness

I suggest your first mod is a p3nis extension
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General
41
Rep
3,587
Posts

 
Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Dallas, Tx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
This is such a loser thread! Street racing .... my 1M is faster than a F430 .... Filming yourself doing illegal activities on a public website is epic dumbness

I suggest your first mod is a p3nis extension
Perhaps the OP will post this on Facebook, and then we can wait for the arrest....
__________________
Lone Star BMW CCA Chapter president, Chief Driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 06:53 PM   #17
bdaddylo
Major
bdaddylo's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Apart from drive(r) skills and reflexes, there is also the weight factor (passenger on board, fuel load) and the state of the tires.

Normally the Ferrari should outrun the 1M.
+1

The F430 is a sub 4 sec 0-60mph and sub 12 sec 1/4 mile car and the 1M isn't close. The F430 also has over a 2 pound per HP advantage. Both cars deliver power differently, so how one car feels is pointless if you're comparing straight line speed and acceleration.
__________________
_______________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP/AW/Ohlins R&T
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #18
Robert
Major General
118
Rep
6,902
Posts

 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Way to go driving like a dickhead on public roads. Go to a track!
amen this thread needs to be locked. poster should be so lucky no one reports this video to local pd. cool videos but do it on a track, jackass
__________________
- There's nothing in my pocket other than knives and lint
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 06:45 AM   #19
RimasRS
Colonel
RimasRS's Avatar
28
Rep
2,397
Posts

 
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

I'm amazed how many teachers...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #20
mariodiniz21
Private
mariodiniz21's Avatar
Portugal
1
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 1M VO
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I'm amazed how many teachers...
+1
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
bdaddylo
Major
bdaddylo's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,134
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by meng4n1to View Post
Also remember we are high up on the reef in Johannesburg, 1765m above sea level, which does give boosted cars a huge advantage over NA cars.

Do agree, keep it on the track.
Correcting my original post.

Higher altitude means less pressure and hence less dense air. Less pressure means the turbo has to spin faster to achieve the same pressure ratio at sea level and also the FMIC is less efficient at cooling. How much power loss for a FI engine at altitude depends on how efficient the turbo or supercharger and FMIC are operating.
__________________
_______________________
2011 E90 M3 ZCP/AW/Ohlins R&T

Last edited by bdaddylo; 01-05-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #22
pixelblue
Colonel
pixelblue's Avatar
37
Rep
2,236
Posts

 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
I'm amazed how many teachers...
+2
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST