BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
bwhouse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M2C

BMW Roadside Assist

So I thought it was time to add roadside assistance to my new car and was automatically just going to get an NRMA membership as I have done in the past.

However I thought I should give BMW roadside a call as I had seen a brochure in the local dealership. I was pleasantly surprised that BMW roadside was not only considerable cheaper ($100 vs $180) but also has better coverage with unlimited towing to the nearest dealer

Thought I would give people a heads up in case you are using NRMA.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhouse View Post
So I thought it was time to add roadside assistance to my new car and was automatically just going to get an NRMA membership as I have done in the past.

However I thought I should give BMW roadside a call as I had seen a brochure in the local dealership. I was pleasantly surprised that BMW roadside was not only considerable cheaper ($100 vs $180) but also has better coverage with unlimited towing to the nearest dealer

Thought I would give people a heads up in case you are using NRMA.
And... if BMW roadside assist is too busy or unavailable, BMW sends out the NRMA..

Last edited by Zuzu; 01-09-2013 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

yeh i was shocked to say the lease that it was cheaper than nrma.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
bwhouse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
yeh i was shocked to say the lease that it was cheaper than nrma.
Me too, the only real reason I called them is I heard the included towing was better and I will mostly likely be doing a few holidays this year, so driving around the country.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
kaitan
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: The Dark Side VAG TDI Biturbo

I've got 3 years with them under premium selection
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

They are also a lot faster than NRMA it seems when you're within a large city, they'll send out an X3/X5 service vehicle from the nearest dealer ASAP.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
barr1luk
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Alpine White 6M

I can give the BMW Roadside a massive thumbs up.

I had to use them in February last year when the HPFP died and my car stalled on the side of the Pacific HWY on the NSW north coast (350km's from home). I only bought the car 10 days earlier and wasn't impressed.

A quick call to their 1800 number and a confirmation call back, I had a tow truck on site within an hour and I was towed to Kloster BMW at Newcastle. I was given a Hertz rental car for a week and continued back to Sydney. Roadside towed my car back to me in Sydney and took the rental car back to Hertz. Between Roadside and Klosters I had constant contact with them and couldn't have asked for more.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Other than a working hpfp

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #9
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by barr1luk View Post
I can give the BMW Roadside a massive thumbs up.

I had to use them in February last year when the HPFP died and my car stalled on the side of the Pacific HWY on the NSW north coast (350km's from home). I only bought the car 10 days earlier and wasn't impressed.

A quick call to their 1800 number and a confirmation call back, I had a tow truck on site within an hour and I was towed to Kloster BMW at Newcastle. I was given a Hertz rental car for a week and continued back to Sydney. Roadside towed my car back to me in Sydney and took the rental car back to Hertz. Between Roadside and Klosters I had constant contact with them and couldn't have asked for more.
      01-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS135i View Post
Not sure what the praise is for. The car was not working as intended. Simply giving a hertz rental would no be goof enough. Everything they died they should've done.

I'd also expect some extra gesture of good will considering the car was only 1 week old, and in a potentially dangerous situation

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

Silly HPFP for not informing the dealer in advance that it only had a week before it would die...
2010 model eh?
      01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #12
barr1luk
Australia
Rep
Drives: '10 135i Alpine White 6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Not sure what the praise is for. The car was not working as intended. Simply giving a hertz rental would no be goof enough. Everything they died they should've done.

I'd also expect some extra gesture of good will considering the car was only 1 week old, and in a potentially dangerous situation

Oh the praise was only for the Roadside assistance team (who are Allianz).

The car was already 2 years old but had under 12k km's on the clock and was a premium selection buy to make things worse.

The selling dealer received an interesting phone call from the side of the road I can tell you! To make things worse the steering sensor went on it a couple of days after I got it back from Klosters. . . Another interesting phone call was made to the management of the selling dealer!!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #13
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:

The car was already 2 years old but had under 12k km's on the clock and was a premium selection buy to make things worse.

The selling dealer received an interesting phone call from the side of the road I can tell you! To make things worse the steering sensor went on it a couple of days after I got it back from Klosters. . . Another interesting phone call was made to the management of the selling dealer!!
Those two things die all the time in BMWs. However, the new HPFP seems to hold pretty well.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #14
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Cheaper than NRMA? And better? Wow, that's really surprising. Will certainly look into it, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep

Quote:

Gotcha mate. Nice to hear you gave BMW an earful

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
lovesacdc
Australia
Rep
Drives: 123d convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post
Those two things die all the time in BMWs. However, the new HPFP seems to hold pretty well.
Whats with the steering sensor problem? Hadn't heard that before.
      01-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I don't know how it works by you guys... but over here in Germany any BMW owner can call BMW Roadside Assist. Even IF your car is out of warranty - they will come and try and help you out. The first 30 minutes is free - then they will charge you for what ever they need to do. They will even come out and read your fault codes! Change a tire or what have you. Great service!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #18
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
I don't know how it works by you guys... but over here in Germany any BMW owner can call BMW Roadside Assist. Even IF your car is out of warranty - they will come and try and help you out. The first 30 minutes is free - then they will charge you for what ever they need to do. They will even come out and read your fault codes! Change a tire or what have you. Great service!
Not in oz mate :
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #19
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesacdc View Post
Whats with the steering sensor problem? Hadn't heard that before.
The optical sensor inside the steering wheel is basically in all BMWs and it often fails. It is there to calculate the steering angle - which means it is crucial with traction control. I don't think the rate of the problem is as bad as the HPFP, but as it is on all recent BMWs we hear a bit of it. I know an Australian forum member failed on his X5, it failed on our 120d.

Basically, if you return with a traction control fault light - most of the time the feed back has been the steering sensor.
Appreciate 0