BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
queese23
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: black 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

car over 50k miles and forgot to get warranty!!

can someone please help me out ASAP! i bought my car from a ford dealership with 57k miles on it and i forget to ask for a extended warranty from the dealership before i signed the papers.. is there anything i can do now or is it to late? i heard im going to really need a warranty with a BMW
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
splitsecond
Space Admiral
splitsecond's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
There are a lot of people who will sell you an extended warranty for less money than the dealer. Warrantydirect.com is one option. Carchex.com is another.

The reason they are so excited about the opportunity to sell you a warranty is because they make a huge profit on it, even though they sell it for less than BMW (which makes an even bigger profit on it). You never "really need" a warranty... most people will spend less money on repairs than they'd spend on the warranty, and that's why they make so much money. With the warranty, you're paying a premium for peace of mind.

You may have heard that you "really need a warranty with a BMW" because BMW has a reputation for having expensive parts. However, this is no longer true... I think they've made an effort to combat that reputation by making their parts cheaper. If you look online, you'll find that replacement parts for BMW cost about the same or less than similar replacement parts from, say, Ford. That's not true for everything - you can't compare your 135i brakes to Ford brakes because the 135i has much better brakes, so you'd expect them to cost more. But if you compare a body panel, for instance, you'll find that the prices are about the same.

As far as reliability, BMWs are generally pretty good.
__________________
2008 135i Montego Blue sport pkg, premium pkg, Logic 7 sound, iDrive/Nav
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

Do yourself a favor and stick the $3,000 the dealer will gouge you for a warranty in the bank for a rainy day. More than likely you'll end up spending it on go fast parts anyway! If the consumer benefitted from extended warranties no one would be selling them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Jetblack1
New Member
0
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: e82 n55
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

the previous owner may have abused it and an expensive repair may be just a few miles away. Ive had the 135 for over a year and it has already seen some costly repairs. extended warranty seems like a good idea. if you're worried about the cost of repairs now, a 135 with that many miles will be a headache.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:16 AM   #5
JTBMW1
Private
0
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Naples, FL

iTrader: (0)

If you are not car savvy and cannot do your own work- or at the very least have a very good understanding of car mechanicals if someone else does the work....get the warranty. I never get warranties as I have been around cars and have always performed my own routine maintenance work- and even some more involved work since I was a teenager. So I go with the factory warranty and make sure maintenance is performed on or ahead of schedule. And especially with oil and fluid changes on BMW's- suggested manufacturer intervals are way too long.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
queese23
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: black 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

So I would just go to the ford dealership I got the car from and get a warranty or go to BMW? And how will the payments be? Will they be calculated in my monthly payments?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
239
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

I really need to get into car sales. It seems so easy to trick people into overpaying for things based on some of the threads I read of these forums,lol

You can go back to the dealership to purchase a warranty. However, it will not be part of your loan. You'll need to pay for it upfront at this point.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
queese23
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: black 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv_335EBII View Post
I really need to get into car sales. It seems so easy to trick people into overpaying for things based on some of the threads I read of these forums,lol

You can go back to the dealership to purchase a warranty. However, it will not be part of your loan. You'll need to pay for it upfront at this point.
lol maybe you should bro.. sorry i dont know as much as you or others. thats what the forum is for to ask questions. I dont want to pay up front now geesh!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
82
Rep
2,934
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

I don't think you can just go to any BMW dealership, since you have to buy the BMW extended warranty before your 50K miles are up. If you're set on getting a warranty, go right back to the Ford dealership and say you just bought the car, and you want a warranty. I feel as though they should have offered you some kind of warranty at least, even if it's not as comprehensive as BMW's official extended warranty, rather than just selling the car "as is" ... but depending on the price of the warranty, you might be better off just saving the money for possible future repairs. Who knows, you may never need it...
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.
doublevanosrc's Avatar
United_States
22
Rep
1,895
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 VW GTi
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin. Tx

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
I don't think you can just go to any BMW dealership, since you have to buy the BMW extended warranty before your 50K miles are up. If you're set on getting a warranty, go right back to the Ford dealership and say you just bought the car, and you want a warranty. I feel as though they should have offered you some kind of warranty at least, even if it's not as comprehensive as BMW's official extended warranty, rather than just selling the car "as is" ... but depending on the price of the warranty, you might be better off just saving the money for possible future repairs. Who knows, you may never need it...
This ^^
__________________
2011 135i M Sport
Gone and missed
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
Lambobimmer
Captain
United_States
17
Rep
819
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Harrisburg, NC

iTrader: (10)

Look into Route66. They are a great warranty company but you have to buy it through penfed.org, which is a credit union. I don't have a warranty on my 135 but I do on my Jeep GC and they have been great. They have never give me any hassle with warranty work. I did not get a warranty on my 135i because I am far from stock and they will not pay if you have mods. Well worth the money if you plan on keeping your 135 stock.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:05 AM   #12
bxsinster
Private First Class
1
Rep
101
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 n54 135i SedonaRed
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: bronx

iTrader: (0)

my 135i extended warranty just about saved my life.

so far new motor, plus motor mount, new turbos with wastegate, new sturts, new driver panel switch and plenty of little stuff believe me its worth it stuff go wrong.

I even paid 2,800 dollars just for the tire and wheel warranty and believe it or not it paid itself off in new york . I had to change all 4 tires from a nail, all i paid was 50 dollars for a 1600 dollar bill. 3 months ago now i got 2 bent wheels and a bubble on a tire all i pay is 50 and dealer gives me new wheels and tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:14 AM   #13
queese23
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: black 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxsinster View Post
my 135i extended warranty just about saved my life.

so far new motor, plus motor mount, new turbos with wastegate, new sturts, new driver panel switch and plenty of little stuff believe me its worth it stuff go wrong.

I even paid 2,800 dollars just for the tire and wheel warranty and believe it or not it paid itself off in new york . I had to change all 4 tires from a nail, all i paid was 50 dollars for a 1600 dollar bill. 3 months ago now i got 2 bent wheels and a bubble on a tire all i pay is 50 and dealer gives me new wheels and tire.

NEW MOTOR??!! NEW TURBOS ??!! WTF??? I NEVER SHOUOLD HAVE TRADED MY INFINITI IN!! THIS SH*T IS CRAZY WITH ALL THESE PROBS PEOPLE HAVE AND THE AMOUNT OF MONEY IT COST TO GET FIXED!! IM SCARED TO EVEN DRIVE MY CAR NOW!! MY INFINITI HAD 79K MILES ON IT AND RAN LIKE A CHAMP ONLY THING I EVER HAD TO DO IS GET NEW BRAKES THATS IT!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #14
Tee-Dub
Captain
Tee-Dub's Avatar
United_States
11
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA

iTrader: (9)

Don't believe everything you read.

Did you finance the car through a credit union? Most will sell some sort of extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
queese23
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: black 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee-Dub View Post
Don't believe everything you read.

Did you finance the car through a credit union? Most will sell some sort of extended warranty.
no i think just ford credit. and he just told me the bank wouldnt finance a warranty into the deal
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #16
Bob Z.
First Lieutenant
United_States
5
Rep
327
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 135i Vert
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Palm Coast FL 32137

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by queese23 View Post
NEW MOTOR??!! NEW TURBOS ??!! WTF??? I NEVER SHOUOLD HAVE TRADED MY INFINITI IN!! THIS SH*T IS CRAZY WITH ALL THESE PROBS PEOPLE HAVE AND THE AMOUNT OF MONEY IT COST TO GET FIXED!! IM SCARED TO EVEN DRIVE MY CAR NOW!! MY INFINITI HAD 79K MILES ON IT AND RAN LIKE A CHAMP ONLY THING I EVER HAD TO DO IS GET NEW BRAKES THATS IT!!
You have to keep it all in perspective: as it true on most car forums you only hear from the people that are having problems...most people never have major issues no matter what they drive since virtually every new car these days is well engineered, and has to be to be competitive. So don't worry about isolated posts and enjoy what you drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #17
2totalled2months
Private
United_States
0
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indian Trail, NC

iTrader: (0)

I know each of us have our own experiences and opinions based on them. Im sure body panels etc are similar in price and found on the internet but has anyone ever had a body panel go bad, prob not. However if you blow your motor, trans or turbos etc you could potentionaly be stuck with a very attractive yard ornament, unable to afford to get it moving again. These cars are made very well, not as reliable as Jap cars but better than most American made, especially apples to apples comparing high perf cars with extra power and torque. I personally only by CPO BMWs, usually with less than 20,000 miles on them, someone else pays sticker, usually on a lease and is afraid or limited to drive then drops the car back off at the dealer and takes the hit for 20 grand or so. The result is when you buy CPO you get a virtually brand new car for much less and a better than new warranty up to 100000 miles. That being said, I would never buy a BMW from anyone but a BMW dealer. For the OP, depending on the year of your car and milage, you can take your car to a BMW dealer and get it CPO for about 1800 bucks but to get this you car has to have all service at BMw, clear carfax etc. They may charge for an additional warranty but it will be cheaper once CPO. I love BMWs but the one thing that I don't like, as with so many other owners, is you cant just drive the wheels off of them without worries because eventually you run out of warranty and I would never own a BMW without one. At the risk of rambling Ill also say that kick butt insurance is a must too, my last 135 had virtually no exterior damage during a 10 mph collision, all airbags deployed, seatbelts deployed , 4 rims bent, the repairs to make it street legal totaled the car way before they even got to the damage from the wreck, airbags 15000, new seatbelts 6000, rims 6000, they never even looked at the slightly wrinkled front bumper, no metal damage, not even a cracked headlight. BTW, the airbags never should have deployed so they needed to replace the entire system,,,another little known fact is if you get in a minor wreck and your seatbelts deploy then the have to replace the seatbelt,,,they are good for one wreck and they ship from Europe,,,not cheap!! Get a warranty and good ins!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
queese23
Private First Class
1
Rep
132
Posts

 
Drives: black 135i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: nj

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z. View Post
You have to keep it all in perspective: as it true on most car forums you only hear from the people that are having problems...most people never have major issues no matter what they drive since virtually every new car these days is well engineered, and has to be to be competitive. So don't worry about isolated posts and enjoy what you drive!

thanks so much bro!! you dont understand how much better that made me feel lol .. I love my CAR!!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
chrisv_335EBII
Second Lieutenant
4
Rep
239
Posts

 
Drives: 335i 6sp EBII
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2totalled2months View Post
I know each of us have our own experiences and opinions based on them. Im sure body panels etc are similar in price and found on the internet but has anyone ever had a body panel go bad, prob not. However if you blow your motor, trans or turbos etc you could potentionaly be stuck with a very attractive yard ornament, unable to afford to get it moving again. These cars are made very well, not as reliable as Jap cars but better than most American made, especially apples to apples comparing high perf cars with extra power and torque. I personally only by CPO BMWs, usually with less than 20,000 miles on them, someone else pays sticker, usually on a lease and is afraid or limited to drive then drops the car back off at the dealer and takes the hit for 20 grand or so. The result is when you buy CPO you get a virtually brand new car for much less and a better than new warranty up to 100000 miles. That being said, I would never buy a BMW from anyone but a BMW dealer. For the OP, depending on the year of your car and milage, you can take your car to a BMW dealer and get it CPO for about 1800 bucks but to get this you car has to have all service at BMw, clear carfax etc. They may charge for an additional warranty but it will be cheaper once CPO. I love BMWs but the one thing that I don't like, as with so many other owners, is you cant just drive the wheels off of them without worries because eventually you run out of warranty and I would never own a BMW without one. At the risk of rambling Ill also say that kick butt insurance is a must too, my last 135 had virtually no exterior damage during a 10 mph collision, all airbags deployed, seatbelts deployed , 4 rims bent, the repairs to make it street legal totaled the car way before they even got to the damage from the wreck, airbags 15000, new seatbelts 6000, rims 6000, they never even looked at the slightly wrinkled front bumper, no metal damage, not even a cracked headlight. BTW, the airbags never should have deployed so they needed to replace the entire system,,,another little known fact is if you get in a minor wreck and your seatbelts deploy then the have to replace the seatbelt,,,they are good for one wreck and they ship from Europe,,,not cheap!! Get a warranty and good ins!!!
An accident has nothing to do with warranty... That is insurance...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #20
Rukuss
Major
Rukuss's Avatar
United_States
13
Rep
1,331
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland

iTrader: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by queese23 View Post
thanks so much bro!! you dont understand how much better that made me feel lol .. I love my CAR!!
Never had a problem with mine, just regular maintenance like all cars
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #21
splitsecond
Space Admiral
splitsecond's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
335
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Louis

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
To the OP... if it makes you feel better, go to warrantydirect.com and buy a warranty. They'll probably finance it for you, and they'll charge less than the dealer. Statistically, you'll be spending more money than the likely repair bill... that's a guarantee, and that's how they make money on the warranty. But you'll have the peace of mind that you'll be covered in case you blow a motor or a turbo. It's unlikely, but if you like to be covered, it'll buy you the comfort of not having to worry about it.
__________________
2008 135i Montego Blue sport pkg, premium pkg, Logic 7 sound, iDrive/Nav
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
2totalled2months
Private
United_States
0
Rep
75
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 Toyota 4Runner 4x4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Indian Trail, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisv_335EBII View Post
An accident has nothing to do with warranty... That is insurance...
You are 100% right,,,thats why I said.... At the risk of rambling Ill also say that kick butt insurance is a must too, my last 135 had virtually no exterior damage during a 10 mph collision, all airbags deployed, seatbelts deployed , 4 rims bent, the repairs to make it street legal totaled the car way before they even got to the damage from the wreck, airbags 15000, new seatbelts 6000, rims 6000, they never even looked at the slightly wrinkled front bumper, no metal damage, not even a cracked headlight. BTW, the airbags never should have deployed so they needed to replace the entire system,,,another little known fact is if you get in a minor wreck and your seatbelts deploy then the have to replace the seatbelt,,,they are good for one wreck and they ship from Europe,,,not cheap!! Get a warranty and good ins!!! Seems pretty clear that I mentioned get good insurance several times,,,,
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:26 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST