BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-16-2014, 07:35 AM   #1
OzJustin
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
OzJustin's 135i Build Thread

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all

Well after first reading about the 135i in 2007 and patiently waiting for the right used example to become available I finally became an owner of one of these great cars this week.
I've been watching the market closely for the last 6 months and had my heart set on a manual example but when this Steptronic came up it was too good a deal to refuse. I have to say the Steptronic is growing on me too with sport mode!

To share my excitement I thought I'd create a build thread for my 2008 135i Coupe.

My new car:
2008 135i in Monaco Blue with Terracotta leather and Glacier aluminium trim
66 000km

Key options:
CCC iDrive
HiFi stereo
Sunroof etc

Current modifications:

Exterior:
LUX V3 angel eyes
BMW 1M taillights

Interior:
Tune2Air WMA1000 bluetooth adaptor

Wheels/Brakes:
Avant Garde M310 in Machine Gunmetal (HRE P40 reps) (18x8+35 F&R)
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 225/40 (front)
Bridgestone SO4 Pole Position 245/35 (rear)
EBC GD sport drilled & slotted rotors (F&R)
EBC red stuff brake pads (F&R)
BMW Mobility Kit

Suspension:
Stock Msport suspension
1M front control arms

Engine/Drivetrain Modifications:
BMC drop in panel filter
ETS 5in FMIC
Turbosmart Kompact diverter valves
Exhaust - AR downpipes, Berk Street axle back
Cobb AccessPort V2 with custom 98RON BPS tune (247rwkw/612nm)

Future plans:
Walnut blast!
BMS Oil Catch Can (OCC)
AFE dual cone intake
Blackline LCI taillights
Schmeidmann carbon fiber splitter and diffuser
Carbon wrapped interior trim
Alpina B3 TCU transmission flash
Rewire paddle shifters to M3 'pull' spec
MotiveMods M5 shifter retrofit
Eurotek LM wheels swap (maybe)
BlackVue dash cam
Minor stereo upgrade (Focal front speakers & Alpine PDX-V9 to power fronts + subs)

First up I have to say that I love this car! It is such a step up from my previous Nissan's and you cannot beat that wall of torque (especially with a tune)!

Given the car already has a good collection of goodies there isn't too much I plan to do to it. My 'future plans' list above seems pretty long but it's really just tinkering around the edges.

I plan to include many photos so stay tuned. My detailer will be working his magic in the next two weeks then I'll get some proper photos.

I hope you enjoy reading about and sharing this journey with me.

Last edited by OzJustin; 09-01-2014 at 08:34 AM.
OzJustin is offline   Australia
      08-16-2014, 07:45 AM   #2
Harlequin
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)

Garage List
Very nice mate.

I love Monaco Blue. Don't understand why they discontinued it...
      08-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
OzJustin
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Very nice mate.

I love Monaco Blue. Don't understand why they discontinued it...
Thanks mate.

Yes the Monaco Blue doesn't seem to be a very popular colour. I wasn't sure at first either but it has really grown on me. It's the best of both worlds imho - black at night and a deep metallic blue under daylight.
      08-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
RickMsport
Captain

Drives: '13 135is... #475/586

Nice! Congratulations and welcome!

Any thoughts on handling changes from installing the M3 control arms? Were you able to observe any incremental improvements, or did you install with a host of other mods?
E82 '13 135is… 475/586 … Aug 29 2013 PCD - Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, heated seats, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension, Whiteline rear subframe inserts, LCI Blacklines, SS pedal pads
RickMsport is offline   United_States
      08-16-2014, 08:38 AM   #5
OzJustin
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
Nice! Congratulations and welcome!

Any thoughts on handling changes from installing the M3 control arms? Were you able to observe any incremental improvements, or did you install with a host of other mods?
I bought the car with all these goodies on it so it's hard to comment on how much impact the control arms made. I have driven a few stock 135i's and I dare say the turn-in is sharper on this car but it could just be a placebo effect...
      08-29-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
OzJustin
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quick update to my thread.

I've been fixing up a few cosmetic aspects of the car this week.

Firstly, my driver's seat bolster was noticeably worn after 66 000km so I decided to have it redyed. I wasn't sure how the colour match would go being terracotta but I was very happy with the outcome. The seat now looks near new. I can highly recommend Glen from FibreNew should any of you require any leather repair work.
http://www.fibrenew.com.au/

Before:

After:

I also had a number of small shopping trolley type dings on both doors and one on the roof. Jon Speller from Dent Removal Brisbane came to the rescue via paintless dent removal and was able to completely remove the dents. I can't even tell where they were anymore. Again I can highly recommend Jon should you require some PDR repairs.
http://www.dentremovalbrisbane.com.au/

Next up is my detailing job which is happening tomorrow morning. Really looking forward to the outcome of the clay, machine polish etc. It should look absolutely schmick inside and out after all this work. Will keep you posted.
      08-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Harlequin
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)

Garage List
Looks great mate. Out of interest, what do they charge for the dent removal? I have one ding on my left rear quarter that's bugging me...
      09-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
OzJustin
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ok time for another update. My detailer went to town on the car this last saturday gone. He spent 8 hours on the car and did a fantastic job.
If any Brisbane Beemer owners are looking for a dedicated detailer (and chatty honest car enthusiast) I can highly recommend Gavin Herrenberg from Auto Carma. This is the second car Gavin has detailed for me over the last few years and both have come out looking excellent.
http://www.autocarma.com.au/

Gavin clayed and machine polished my car to correct general wear and swirl marks. He also applied Duragloss 105 Total Performance Polish, Duragloss 921 Fast Clean and Shine, a Dodo coating to my glass and cleaned up my wheels. The car has a real shine to it now that was lacking previously. I suspect I will pay the price for choosing a dark coloured car (my last car was a pewter silver) but when it's clean like this it definately looks the part!

Apologies for the photo quality. It was getting dark and I was rushing but it should give you an idea.

Gavin is a real character and it shows in his latest work vehicle.

You can see here that I debadged the car the other day. I purposely did this just before my detail so Gavin could machine polish out the adhesive outline fully. I think it turned out perfectly and is very stealth now. 125i with 250kw...

These photos should give you an idea of how the paint is now i.e. much better. The front bar has quite a few stone chips and imperfections but from the front wheels back the rest of the panels are in very good condition.

I hope to clean my terracotta seats with some Leather Master cleaner and protection cream soon. They've been dirty since I bought the car but I hope to return them to their former glory (especially now that the bolster has been repaired).

Next round of updates coming soon. First of which may be some new angel eyes as my driver's side LUX V3 bulb seems to have died...
      09-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #9
3002 tii
Major General

Drives: flat out

Garage List
I hate how rear seat center armrest indents so easily after folding it down once. I have that stupid crease too and it won't go away.

Recaro | Volk | AST | Vorshlag | Quaife | Stoptech | Active Autowerke | BMW Performance

Click here for my track videos
3002 tii is offline   United_States
      09-08-2014, 04:36 AM   #10
OzJustin
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Another small update -

Today I had Accelerate Automotive (AA) modify my paddle shifters to 'M3 spec' so now right pull is upshift and left pull is downshift. I have to thank AA for squeezing me in at such short notice. They're a great bunch of guys and very helpful.
In reality they really only had to modify the left paddle connector so that pin 1 is now swapped with pin 3 (about 15 minutes work). I provided them the wiring diagram from this tutorial if anybody else is interested in performing this modification:
http://www.bmwfanatics.co.za/showthread.php?tid=35699

Now I must say that this is how the car should have come from the factory! I took the car for a decent drive around Mount Tamborine today (in the wet unfortunately) but it was a completely different car with such a simple modification. Blipping the throttle with the left paddle is extremely addictive! I cannot wait until I can pair these new and improved paddles with the Alpina B3 transmission flash to really sharpen up the manual shifts (cable on order). I would highly recommend this paddle rewire.

The only downside to my day was AA diagnosed my LUX V3 angel eyes and unfortunately it wasn't the power supply that was the problem (I had a spare one at the ready thanks to Stuart at BMR). The LED bulb itself is busted so now I have to decide whether I want to replace the V3's with the newer V4. I hope they last longer than this set if I make the jump...

Of course threads are worthless without pics. A random I snapped out shopping the other day
      09-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
VMRWheels
Lieutenant General

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
Nice pick up! The interior|exterior color combo is superb

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Winter Wheel/Tire Sale! **
      09-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #12
ShocknAwe
Major

Drives: 2010 135i

Love the terracotta interior. The leather redye/repair job looks great as well. More pictures!
      09-09-2014, 03:29 AM   #13
OzJustin
Private First Class

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Thanks guys. I picked up some Leather Master cleaner & protection cream last weekend so when I get a chance to clean the seats I'll post up some more pictures.
Really looking forward to seeing how good a job I can do carbon wrapping the trim & how the combo will turn out with the terracotta.
      09-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Lieutenant General

Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Looks good
WWW.EXTREMEPOWERHOUSE.COM|| Facebook Page||Android Free App
mike@x-ph.com is online now   United_States