BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-11-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
bagekko
Private First Class
bagekko's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i Cabrio-MSport-DCT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: RI/MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135i Cabrio  [0.00]
Anyone running Nokian R2s on a staggered 18 setup?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Really wish Nokian R2s came in the right sizes. Wheels I am thinking about putting them on are 18x8 and 18x8.5.

They have 225/40 for the front but nothing in 35 aspect for rear. Possible choices; 235/40 or 245/40.
__________________
2017 X5 35d MSport
2013 BMW 135i MSport DCT
2008 BMW M5 6 Speed
1995 BMW 540i 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #2
Matticus91
Colonel
United_States
903
Rep
2,293
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Really wish Nokian R2s came in the right sizes. Wheels I am thinking about putting them on are 18x8 and 18x8.5.

They have 225/40 for the front but nothing in 35 aspect for rear. Possible choices; 235/40 or 245/40.
Specific tire doesn't matter so much for sizing, there might be slight differences in sidewall/tread depth but for the most part they'll be the same. I think the offset is what's going to matter here, do you know the offset of the wheels you're looking at? The fronts should be fine as long as you keep the profile down but the rears may rub if the offset is any different from stock. The 235/40 likely isn't worth it, there's better tire options that will get you the right size. The 245/40 would be the best, but I've had rubbing issues with that size in the past, on stock wheels too.
__________________
-Matt
"Tobias" 2013 Carbon Black 135i ///M-Sport 6MT Avant Garde M310's cp-e Charge Pipe Seibon CF M3 Hood Custom Exhaust & Cutout JB4


Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #3
bagekko
Private First Class
bagekko's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i Cabrio-MSport-DCT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: RI/MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135i Cabrio  [0.00]
The wheels are stock/OEM 18x8 ET47 and 18x8.5 ET50. I tried to search but couldn't find any discussion on people using 245/40. Was thinking the 235/40 might be better as the stretch would reduce the sidewall a little.

Wish I could find a BMW 17/18 square wheel set instead, but have been looking all year with no luck. Snow tire choices in stagger for the 1er are very limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Specific tire doesn't matter so much for sizing, there might be slight differences in sidewall/tread depth but for the most part they'll be the same. I think the offset is what's going to matter here, do you know the offset of the wheels you're looking at? The fronts should be fine as long as you keep the profile down but the rears may rub if the offset is any different from stock. The 235/40 likely isn't worth it, there's better tire options that will get you the right size. The 245/40 would be the best, but I've had rubbing issues with that size in the past, on stock wheels too.
__________________
2017 X5 35d MSport
2013 BMW 135i MSport DCT
2008 BMW M5 6 Speed
1995 BMW 540i 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #4
champignon
Major
champignon's Avatar
United_States
369
Rep
1,475
Posts

Drives: 1M-VO;135i;Z3M Cpe;135is Vert
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Idaho

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The wheels are stock/OEM 18x8 ET47 and 18x8.5 ET50. I tried to search but couldn't find any discussion on people using 245/40. Was thinking the 235/40 might be better as the stretch would reduce the sidewall a little.

Wish I could find a BMW 17/18 square wheel set instead, but have been looking all year with no luck. Snow tire choices in stagger for the 1er are very limited.
I bought a square set of extra alloy wheels with Blizzaks for my 2013 135i coupe from the Tire Rack. The wheels are 17x8 and the tires were 205/50R17 Blizzak WS80s. The total delivered price, mounted, with new TPMS sensors inside was around $1500.

Smaller tires are generally what is recommended for winter tires, and this setup was what was recommended by the Tire Rack. I don't think you will notice all that much difference with a smaller square set up for winter use, which is probably only going to be a few months of the year anyway. You can usually find some discounted rims available from Tire Rack and other providers.

You can always buy some BMW center caps off of ebay to put on the generic rims and the result looks almost like stock, in some cases better than stock if your car has cheap standard BMW rims.

Taking tires off of rims and reinstalling, risks tire and TPMS damage. You will save money with each swap if the tires are already mounted when you swap, and you may be able to do the swaps yourself (I choose not to do so personally). My BMW dealer told me that they do not charge for tire swaps on rims at all, something I will test the next time I need a swap done.
__________________
Disappointing People for Two Centuries
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
bagekko
Private First Class
bagekko's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i Cabrio-MSport-DCT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: RI/MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135i Cabrio  [0.00]
I have almost bought a set of 17s like you mentioned from the rack a few times.

Most of my wheel collection (11 sets) are genuine BMWs and I rarely almost never swap tires back and forth. I have dedicated summer, spring/fall and winter sets. Been hunting for the 3rd set for the 135 for over a year.

Considering getting 2 loosie fronts off ebay and use my 2 fronts to make the square setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I bought a square set of extra alloy wheels with Blizzaks for my 2013 135i coupe from the Tire Rack. The wheels are 17x8 and the tires were 205/50R17 Blizzak WS80s. The total delivered price, mounted, with new TPMS sensors inside was around $1500.

Smaller tires are generally what is recommended for winter tires, and this setup was what was recommended by the Tire Rack. I don't think you will notice all that much difference with a smaller square set up for winter use, which is probably only going to be a few months of the year anyway. You can usually find some discounted rims available from Tire Rack and other providers.

You can always buy some BMW center caps off of ebay to put on the generic rims and the result looks almost like stock, in some cases better than stock if your car has cheap standard BMW rims.

Taking tires off of rims and reinstalling, risks tire and TPMS damage. You will save money with each swap if the tires are already mounted when you swap, and you may be able to do the swaps yourself (I choose not to do so personally). My BMW dealer told me that they do not charge for tire swaps on rims at all, something I will test the next time I need a swap done.
__________________
2017 X5 35d MSport
2013 BMW 135i MSport DCT
2008 BMW M5 6 Speed
1995 BMW 540i 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
Matticus91
Colonel
United_States
903
Rep
2,293
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
The wheels are stock/OEM 18x8 ET47 and 18x8.5 ET50. I tried to search but couldn't find any discussion on people using 245/40. Was thinking the 235/40 might be better as the stretch would reduce the sidewall a little.

Wish I could find a BMW 17/18 square wheel set instead, but have been looking all year with no luck. Snow tire choices in stagger for the 1er are very limited.
Stock 135i wheels are 7.5 front and 8.5 rear IIRC? Have you seen this thread?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209582

And this post:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213306
__________________
-Matt
"Tobias" 2013 Carbon Black 135i ///M-Sport 6MT Avant Garde M310's cp-e Charge Pipe Seibon CF M3 Hood Custom Exhaust & Cutout JB4


Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #7
bagekko
Private First Class
bagekko's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
199
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i Cabrio-MSport-DCT
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: RI/MA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
1995 540i  [0.00]
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135i Cabrio  [0.00]
Yeah, maybe they were not "from" a 1er, almost positive they were 18x8 & 18x8.5, at least thats what my notes say. Having trouble remembering the style number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Stock 135i wheels are 7.5 front and 8.5 rear IIRC? Have you seen this thread?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209582

And this post:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213306
__________________
2017 X5 35d MSport
2013 BMW 135i MSport DCT
2008 BMW M5 6 Speed
1995 BMW 540i 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
Matticus91
Colonel
United_States
903
Rep
2,293
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington DC

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagekko View Post
Yeah, maybe they were not "from" a 1er, almost positive they were 18x8 & 18x8.5, at least thats what my notes say. Having trouble remembering the style number.
There's images in that first post as well that might help you out. The second post i believe has some tire size guidelines
__________________
-Matt
"Tobias" 2013 Carbon Black 135i ///M-Sport 6MT Avant Garde M310's cp-e Charge Pipe Seibon CF M3 Hood Custom Exhaust & Cutout JB4


Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST