BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
aal91
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 bw/oyster 128i convertible

OEM alarm install question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Is it possible to install the OEM alarm on my car? After visiting the local dealership and speaking with a tech there, I was told that BMW no longer allowed the install after MY 2012. I'm the second owner of a 9/2012 build 128 convertible, with the auto dimming rearview mirror with the clown nose on the bottom edge. I can see the little red bulb in the clown nose, but it doesn't flash.

I've adjusted my remote settings so that the headlights and taillights flash when the car is locked/unlocked, but I'd like the red light to flash also.

Alternatively, instead of a complete alarm install, is there some programming that can be done to sync the red light to flash with the locking of the car?

Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
1AddictsAnonymous
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
BMW used to pre wire the cars, but stopped mid 2009 production (07/2009 if I remember right) so after 09, you'll need to run all the wiring. In theory it can be done but it's probably not worth it due to high labor cost (or time commitment for DIY)

you're probably better off with an aftermarket alarm paired to your OEM fob.

If all you want is the flashing clown nose (red bulb) there is a DIY you can do, which is located in the DIY section of either 1 Addicts or E90 Post as both the E8x and E9x chassis use the same mirrors.

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #3
PA135i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post
BMW used to pre wire the cars, but stopped mid 2009 production (07/2009 if I remember right) so after 09, you'll need to run all the wiring. In theory it can be done but it's probably not worth it due to high labor cost (or time commitment for DIY)

If all you want is the flashing clown nose (red bulb) there is a DIY you can do, which is located in the DIY section of either 1 Addicts or E90 Post as both the E8x and E9x chassis use the same mirrors.
Interesting. I had my alarm added to my deal at the time of purchase. But, they had to order it. Guess the install was pretty easy for them since mine is a 2008. It is a nice option to have.

Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
champignon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO;135i;Z3M Cpe;135is Vert

Car alarms are so, 1980s . . . .

Most people, especially in cities, treat a car alarm going off as being an annoyance, a false alarm until proven otherwise. Modern cars, with all their electronics and comfort access systems and keyless starting, do not resemble their counterparts from the past where someone with 15 minutes and a coat hanger could steal them. Current cars are both easier to steal, for those with the equipment and know-how, and harder to steal for a street thug.

You are much better off being careful where you park your car, and if you have to park in unmonitored places, it is better to have a beater or uninteresting car to take on that trip, than to risk your highly prized toy.

For modern cars with comfort access, you need to worry about thieves who will try to amplify the faint signal from your key fob, knowing that you are likely within a few hundred feet of where the car was parked. Supposedly, wrapping your CA key in aluminum foil can help deter this kind of theft.

But if you have a trophy car and a determined and knowledgeable thief wants to steal it, only a physical barrier will deter them and otherwise you will be out your car.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
1AddictsAnonymous
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AddictsAnonymous View Post

Interesting. I had my alarm added to my deal at the time of purchase. But, they had to order it. Guess the install was pretty easy for them since mine is a 2008. It is a nice option to have.
I DIYd my 08, 1 hour install plus 15 minutes of coding. You buy the kit and just have to install the module, good sensor, and alarm siren it's brilliant!

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
1AddictsAnonymous
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon
Car alarms are so, 1980s . . . .

Most people, especially in cities, treat a car alarm going off as being an annoyance, a false alarm until proven otherwise. Modern cars, with all their electronics and comfort access systems and keyless starting, do not resemble their counterparts from the past where someone with 15 minutes and a coat hanger could steal them. Current cars are both easier to steal, for those with the equipment and know-how, and harder to steal for a street thug.

You are much better off being careful where you park your car, and if you have to park in unmonitored places, it is better to have a beater or uninteresting car to take on that trip, than to risk your highly prized toy.

For modern cars with comfort access, you need to worry about thieves who will try to amplify the faint signal from your key fob, knowing that you are likely within a few hundred feet of where the car was parked. Supposedly, wrapping your CA key in aluminum foil can help deter this kind of theft.

But if you have a trophy car and a determined and knowledgeable thief wants to steal it, only a physical barrier will deter them and otherwise you will be out your car.
I fully agree, but it's a nice deterrent for street thugs. My E90 I used to have received some terrible scratches on the B pillar from our resident coin thief attempting to break in while I was away for work. The would be thief wasn't able to get in but they sure messed up the paint... My 1er stays in the garage but I wired up an LED to the bottom of my mirror on my SUV which is street parked, zero issues.

Neighbors vehicles have been broken into multiple times for coins and what not. Even the appearance of a deterrent is a nice additional layer of protection from these idiots

Appreciate 0