BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-23-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
FreeMan12406
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Garage List
Quick noob question - Dreaded Adaptive Headlight Warning!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I recently bought a 135i, and replaced the led lights in the front headlights. Turns out, I didn't properly seal the back of the headlights and got moisture in the headlight housings and bam, the dreaded Adaptive Warning light as well as what I believe is the fog light warning. The brights don't work, and the headlights are on but very dim at night.

I've read about every forum post I think I can find. Monday I'm going to get a BMW mechanic to look at it. I have an extended warranty but with the aftermarket bulbs I know I'm screwed.

Here is my question, instead of spending the large amounts of money to replace the adaptive headlight function ($1000+), can't I just replace the actual headlights and have the error code wiped and just drive without the function?

Sorry for the noob question.
      12-23-2016, 09:42 PM   #2
tracer bullet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i - AW w/ TC

I'd try opening the covers, leaving the hood popped open, and blowing a fan at them overnight or even longer. See if you can evaporate what's in there. It may be a simple short from water that drys off.

If you replace the headlights with a different type I'd fear you'll have the error code continue to pop up. Carly or another coding program might prevent them from being checked, worth looking into. Heck you could potentially do that right now, it won't fix the current issue but you'd know if the plan would work to get rid of the warning.

If you're remotely able to spend the money then consider the euro headlights without the orange corners as replacements. Or find someone local to you that wants them, who would sell you their old lights.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
FreeMan12406
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'd try opening the covers, leaving the hood popped open, and blowing a fan at them overnight or even longer. See if you can evaporate what's in there. It may be a simple short from water that drys off.

If you replace the headlights with a different type I'd fear you'll have the error code continue to pop up. Carly or another coding program might prevent them from being checked, worth looking into. Heck you could potentially do that right now, it won't fix the current issue but you'd know if the plan would work to get rid of the warning.

If you're remotely able to spend the money then consider the euro headlights without the orange corners as replacements. Or find someone local to you that wants them, who would sell you their old lights.
Thanks for the response! I figured it would be cheaper to buy new headlights but I have to do something because I can't even drive at night, the headlights are too dim.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
Gizmo135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Just put it back to stock, put the covers back on the headlights, and bring it to the dealer/ see what happens with warranty. You might get lucky if what is bad is covered (not sure what warranty you have).... worst case is you end up paying an hour diag to the dealer and they give you a run down of what it needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2016, 03:43 AM   #5
dsocold
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: sedona red

there are 2 modules under the headlight the xenon box (silver) and the adaptive box (black). the silver xenon box plugs into the black adaptive box. the adaptive box brand new is about 180 bucks and is pretty easy to swap yourself, remove bumper and un mount headlight. it also may require some basic coding which is pretty easy to do.

water got into mine i replced only xenon nd wlft the adaptive as is and had it coded out to avoid annoying dash light
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #6
FreeMan12406
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quick revive of this thread. My dealership said this was the reason.....

FRM Module
Adaptive Module

I did a search for FRM Module and haven't seen many people reference this. Does anyone know the part number or if it's called anything else? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0