BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Frank 135i Vert
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black Convertible

Dinan Exhaust upgrade vs Stock exhaust?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
This question goes out to those members that moved from a stock exhaust on their N55 to a Dinan Exhaust.

I'm currently debating the idea of upgrading my exhaust to the Dinan Exhaust. My questions to those who went this route is, how much louder (percent louder) is the exhaust at cold start, warm up, driving on the highway & WOT? I realize this is just your opinion but am trying to understand if I will get the desired outcome.

What I'm looking for is a louder exhaust from stock that will give the car a less muted sound at idle once warmed up as well as while driving under normal throttle.

I don't have any other intake/exhaust upgrades but I am running Dinan stage 2. I realize there are other options but am considering Dinan or potentially the BMW PE.

Thanks
      05-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #2
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: 2012 135-6MT, BSM/Blk, Mspt +

I have Dinan Stage 2 and PE (N55 w/Y-pipe, so no secondary cats, no resonator). . I rarely use my stereo anymore and I used to drive around blasting loud angry music until I got the PE. Now I rarely use my stereo since it has gotten warm enough to go windows down (or just blast the heat with windows down on cold mornings). I am addicted to the sound of my exhaust. I have never heard anyone talk about how much they love their Dinan exhaust as much as we PE people talk about our exhaust. And no, I am not a Dinan hater, because I love my tune-I just think you will be happier with the PE- but if you go PE, get the Y-pipe with res/cat delete.

So did I answer your question about the Dinan exhaust? Probably not, but if you are debating between those two options, go PE. The majority consensus would agree there. The PE is sick.
      05-23-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
PA135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

I will soon be looking for an exhaust. But, will probably go with the BMW PE. I (unlike the OP) don't want a loud exhaust. Can you explain the Y-pipe delete and if you order the exhaust from the dealer will they automatically use the Y-pipe? I know it doesn't really give any performance boost, altough BMW claims 5 HP. I assume it is stainless so it will last a long time. thanks.

Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / BMW Performance power kit / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / rear sun shades
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
EvenEsteban
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Because I'm Driven

I say BMW PE as well.
2011 E82 N55 135i M Sport Coupe / LeMans Blue / Black Leather / 7-SP DCT / BMW 313 Style Wheels / Pirelli P Zeros 225/255 / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW Performance Power Kit Version 1 / BMW Performance Suspension / BMW LCI Blackline Taillights / BMW Black & Chrome Grills / TLC
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2015, 11:14 PM   #5
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i
I will soon be looking for an exhaust. But, will probably go with the BMW PE. I (unlike the OP) don't want a loud exhaust. Can you explain the Y-pipe delete and if you order the exhaust from the dealer will they automatically use the Y-pipe? I know it doesn't really give any performance boost, altough BMW claims 5 HP. I assume it is stainless so it will last a long time. thanks.
Not sure if this is what you are asking, but regarding the Y-pipe:
The PE is not just an axle-back. It also includes a partial mid-pipe section that removes the factory resonator. That is the Y-pipe.
If you are an N55, which has no secondary cat in the mid-pipe, it means all you have is the main car in the DP and the muffler.
It is not a quiet exhaust, especially on cold start, but it is also not nearly as loud as muffler-less systems like the Berk race. It has a kinda raw sound- a little rowdy.
Again, it is anything but quiet, but a nice balance, as it is tastefully loud IMHO.
      05-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #6
EvenEsteban
Captain
No_Country
Rep

OP, don't forget to take into consideration when reading other people's opinions here that you're in a vert, so all exhausts on your car will potentially sound a bit louder.
2011 E82 N55 135i M Sport Coupe / LeMans Blue / Black Leather / 7-SP DCT / BMW 313 Style Wheels / Pirelli P Zeros 225/255 / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW Performance Power Kit Version 1 / BMW Performance Suspension / BMW LCI Blackline Taillights / BMW Black & Chrome Grills / TLC
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 02:36 PM   #7
PA135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Not sure if this is what you are asking, but regarding the Y-pipe:
The PE is not just an axle-back. It also includes a partial mid-pipe section that removes the factory resonator. That is the Y-pipe.
If you are an N55, which has no secondary cat in the mid-pipe, it means all you have is the main car in the DP and the muffler.
It is not a quiet exhaust, especially on cold start, but it is also not nearly as loud as muffler-less systems like the Berk race. It has a kinda raw sound- a little rowdy.
Again, it is anything but quiet, but a nice balance, as it is tastefully loud IMHO.
I have a N54, I guess that makes a difference. I did hear the sound clip from BMW performance site and it did not sound too loud. A better sounding exhaust I'm a fan of.

Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / BMW Performance power kit / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / rear sun shades

Last edited by PA135i; 05-24-2015 at 04:13 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 03:04 PM   #8
EvenEsteban
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
I have a N54, I guess that makes a difference. I did hear the sound clip from BMW perfemance site and it did not sound too loud. I better sounding exhaust I'm a fan of.
I had an N54 2008 135i. Stock to stock, my N55 2011 135i sounded quite a bit louder on cold start-up. After they're warm, I'd say they sound pretty similar.

Now, of course with the Performance exhaust, it sounds considerably louder all of the time. There are a lot of louder exhausts though. Just depends on what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 07:13 AM   #9
Frank 135i Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
I have Dinan Stage 2 and PE (N55 w/Y-pipe, so no secondary cats, no resonator). . I rarely use my stereo anymore and I used to drive around blasting loud angry music until I got the PE. Now I rarely use my stereo since it has gotten warm enough to go windows down (or just blast the heat with windows down on cold mornings). I am addicted to the sound of my exhaust. I have never heard anyone talk about how much they love their Dinan exhaust as much as we PE people talk about our exhaust. And no, I am not a Dinan hater, because I love my tune-I just think you will be happier with the PE- but if you go PE, get the Y-pipe with res/cat delete.

So did I answer your question about the Dinan exhaust? Probably not, but if you are debating between those two options, go PE. The majority consensus would agree there. The PE is sick.
Cavpiolot2k, you mention you have the PE (N55 w/Y-Pipe so no secondary cats, no resonator), does the exhaust come with the Ypipe if you buy it new or is this an additional component that is needed? Also, I have the Dinan Stage II. Did you notice any performance improvements running the PE and the Dinan Stage II? Thanks.
      05-26-2015, 07:33 AM   #10
Frank 135i Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks to everyone who took time to post responses to my questions. So...it sounds like everyone is recommending the BMW Performance Exhaust with the Y-Pipe. Now I just need to find one at a good price.
      05-26-2015, 09:40 AM   #11
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
Cavpiolot2k, you mention you have the PE (N55 w/Y-Pipe so no secondary cats, no resonator), does the exhaust come with the Ypipe if you buy it new or is this an additional component that is needed? Also, I have the Dinan Stage II. Did you notice any performance improvements running the PE and the Dinan Stage II? Thanks.
Obviously I noticed a huge performance improvement with the Dinan flash, but my car already had the PE when I got it, so I cannot comment on any improvements from without PE to with PE.

That said, most knowledgeable people (about the 1er) on here will agree that catback exhausts will not provide a noticeable performance improvement on this car. N54 may gain a little (but still probably not noticeable) by going to N55 midpipes (thereby losing the secondary cats), but the only real noticeable gains to be made with exhaust on this car is by upgrading or eliminating the primary cat(s) in the downpipe.

Exhausts are mainly for sound on a 135.
      05-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #12
Frank 135i Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

So...thanks to everyone. I decided to move forward w the BMW PE.

I looked online at Mybimmerparts.com which is affiliated w Passport BMW in MD & they had a BMW PE on sale for $852.50 which seems like a good price. I called my local dealership Performance center Thompson BMW & my performance associate who I've worked with previously said they'd match the price(sweet).

So...I scheduled my install for June 5th.
      05-26-2015, 06:06 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank 135i Vert View Post
So...thanks to everyone. I decided to move forward w the BMW PE.

I looked online at Mybimmerparts.com which is affiliated w Passport BMW in MD & they had a BMW PE on sale for $852.50 which seems like a good price. I called my local dealership Performance center Thompson BMW & my performance associate who I've worked with previously said they'd match the price(sweet).

So...I scheduled my install for June 5th.

Your gonna LOVE the PE!

Don't forgot that the PE exhaust will sound even better once you put about 5K miles on it. I think its the carboning that changes the sound to a deeper tone.

I love my PE.

Dackel
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2015, 09:48 PM   #14
lowbudgethero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '98 Z3M (gone), '09 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [4.00]
Have you tried the golf tee mod first?

PE and Dinan both sound great in person, but I'm just wondering...

I personally went with stock catback with catless downpipes, and like the balance
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 10:58 PM   #15
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero

I personally went with stock catback with catless downpipes, and like the balance
I know it saves a bunch of money, but the golf tee mod is not even on the same playing field as the PE. I've had both and the PE is light-years better sounding.
Similar base sound, but the PE drops it an octave or two and cranks the volume up about 40% or more. Plus the burbles and pops on overrun are magical.
      05-27-2015, 06:31 AM   #16
Frank 135i Vert
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero

I actually did the Golf tee mod about a year ago. It really did make a difference. Probably the best $0.03 cent (or whatever the cost for a golf tee) mod you can do to these cars. I'm not sure if I've just gotten used to it, but I feel like I want something more across the entire band ( start up, idle, WOT).

So...I'm hoping going w the y-pipe & exhaust will give me the desired effect.