BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-02-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Help: Widest setup using Michelin PSS on M-Sport suspension

Hi guys. Been doing a research on performance summer tires to replace my RFT. I will ditch my RFTs once it times to change those. For your information, I'm completely running stock M-Sport Suspension, not lowered, and stock 18" 264 wheels.

What do you think will be the widest setup without rubbing issue? Some people said PSS tires are a bit tall, but never had any experience with them. I'm thinking about 225F and 255R but if there is a possibility to up size those tires I will do for the sake of looks and grip.

Let me know if you have any experience or knowledge on PSS. Opinions, thoughts, and recommendations are highly appreciated. Please help me out. Thank you guys!
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 19 View Post
Hi guys. Been doing a research on performance summer tires to replace my RFT. I will ditch my RFTs once it times to change those. For your information, I'm completely running stock M-Sport Suspension, not lowered, and stock 18" 264 wheels.

What do you think will be the widest setup without rubbing issue? Some people said PSS tires are a bit tall, but never had any experience with them. I'm thinking about 225F and 255R but if there is a possibility to up size those tires I will do for the sake of looks and grip.

Let me know if you have any experience or knowledge on PSS. Opinions, thoughts, and recommendations are highly appreciated. Please help me out. Thank you guys!
Our 135i has the 261 wheels (same offset and widths as the 264s) with 225/40-18 F and 255/35-18 R PSS tyres, no rubbing at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #3
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Quote:

225/255 you'll be fine on the stock wheels.

The wheels are the limiting factor for going bigger. Offset and width of the wheel are all that matter for speccing rubber.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw
Quote:

225/255 you'll be fine on the stock wheels.

The wheels are the limiting factor for going bigger. Offset and width of the wheel are all that matter for speccing rubber.
With that being said, will 235F and 265R fit on stock wheels? Since stock wheels has oem offset
2011 JB E82 135i - Premium pack | Value pack | Premium sound | Sport pack | M-Sport steering wheel and suspension | Blackline LCI tail | BMWP carbon spoiler | BMWP CF license frame | BMWP gloss black grilles | Meisterschaft GT w/gloss black tips | CF diffuser | CF splitters | Hyper Black Apex Arc-8 w/Potenza RE-11 | Dinan camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #5
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

235/265 is a bit much for 7.5/8.5" wheels. I'm sure someone has tried, but you're really pinching the tire and you're not going to see any benefits in handling. The tire may stick to the road surface, but you'll start to feel the additional flex/twist in the sidewalls. Expect a slight delay before steering inputs are realized. I think 225/255 is the sweet spot for stock wheels. Even 225/255 will feel a bit soft at first when moving from RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
CL 19
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer
235/265 is a bit much for 7.5/8.5" wheels. I'm sure someone has tried, but you're really pinching the tire and you're not going to see any benefits in handling. The tire may stick to the road surface, but you'll start to feel the additional flex/twist in the sidewalls. Expect a slight delay before steering inputs are realized. I think 225/255 is the sweet spot for stock wheels. Even 225/255 will feel a bit soft at first when moving from RFTs.
Okay, I know there is limitation. So, for stock setup that has 7.5F and 8.5F, 225F and 255R will be the max? I don't have any plan to change my wheels though but if I change it, I will probably take 8.5F and 9.5R. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

That won't be the absolute max but its the max recommended. It's what I have on PSS and I love them. Beefy look too, even with only +10mm. I've actually seen a picture of a 285 on the stock rear wheel. Not sure what was on the front. Looked ridiculous, kinda cool, but I bet handling was greatly sacrificed with such a ballooning tire.
Appreciate 0