BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
ABS Sensitivity - Track only

Does anyone else find that the 1 series ABS a bit too sensitive for track use? Specially with good tires and track pads? I had a couple of instructors tell me the same, and just after that I started noticing it and paying attention to it. I believe the may be right.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,235
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
yandy that doesn't sound right. mine hardly ever kicks in. I had it kick in a few times but that was because I was braking hard downhill into a turn but never ever since. what's your setup now? do you feel you're braking late and hard? you may have to back off a bit if that's the case and you'll probably notice brakes overheating on top of that
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Haven't tested it to that extreme yet, was just reminiscing on stuff and thought about it. Running either Hawk DTC-70/60 combo or the Carbotech XP16/12 with the NT-01s in the past. I would go in hard and brake hard into the corners, but I don't think it was anything overdone.

The instructors that mentioned it were driving the car, so not myself.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,235
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
well let's see what other people have to say but I certainly didn't experience it much
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
blutattoo
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 135i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 375
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
well let's see what other people have to say but I certainly didn't experience it much
+1

I actually find it hard to engage the ABS on my car unless I am full pedal to the floor. I suppose if I mash it right from the start then I'd get ABS, but with firm brake pressure it doesn't seem to lock up much. Although the deeper I try to go in turns under threshold braking then I'll get it, but that is usually my fault for braking to late and not a problem with the brakes.

That was with the stock pads/fluid/lines though so it may be different with better pads and fluid.
blutattoo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
Focusedintntions
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 2,681
iTrader: (1)

I find that the initial bite of the dt70's will kick it off sometimes...then i just ease off the pedal a bit and press back down. This is especially prevalent when tires are still cold and not as sticky, or when they've heated up and gotten greasy towards the end of a session. I'll kick off the abs usually like the first session of the day on the 1st couple laps as everything comes up to temp and I get used to the braking sweet spot.

You can ask Gary and a few others here...i brake way late and hard too haha I think most people that haven't really driven our cars would say that the abs is overly sensitive, but the reality is our calipers actually provide a ton of braking pressure the front rotors (more than the GTR's massive calipers) b/c of the large piston size. If they're used to really pressing hard on their cars, and then try the same technique on ours, I can see how they might easily engage the abs.
__________________
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death… – Hunter Thompson
Focusedintntions is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
DriveHard
Lieutenant Colonel
 
DriveHard's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Long Island

Posts: 1,966
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
well let's see what other people have to say but I certainly didn't experience it much
+1.. I think Focus said it.. just the first lap or two and maybe i felt it a bit when stuff was cold ...but other than that i think i got the threashold braking down to where im right at the edge..
__________________
'11 128i M-Sport Pkg, Sport Susp., 6AT w/paddles, BMW Perf CAI,Charcoal Filter Delete, BMW Perf. Big Brake Kit, BMW Perf. Exhaust, Ferodo 2500's, Titanium shims,135 trunk lip, BMS-PBX Box-Map 3, Castrol RBF600 ,e93 FSB, , f30 Backing Plates,GC Camber Plates, Hankook RS-3's (Track setup)
DriveHard is online now   Colombia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #8
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
I find that the initial bite of the dt70's will kick it off sometimes...then i just ease off the pedal a bit and press back down. This is especially prevalent when tires are still cold and not as sticky, or when they've heated up and gotten greasy towards the end of a session. I'll kick off the abs usually like the first session of the day on the 1st couple laps as everything comes up to temp and I get used to the braking sweet spot.

You can ask Gary and a few others here...i brake way late and hard too haha I think most people that haven't really driven our cars would say that the abs is overly sensitive, but the reality is our calipers actually provide a ton of braking pressure the front rotors (more than the GTR's massive calipers) b/c of the large piston size. If they're used to really pressing hard on their cars, and then try the same technique on ours, I can see how they might easily engage the abs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
+1.. I think Focus said it.. just the first lap or two and maybe i felt it a bit when stuff was cold ...but other than that i think i got the threashold braking down to where im right at the edge..
I feel it come on allot, then ease of, but seems like mine comes on allot more than it should. Could be the tires, were wearing out at that point.

I'll keep a feel out for it this time around and see what I notice.
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
 
fboutlaw's Avatar
 
Drives: Dinan 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cupertino, CA

Posts: 485
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
Does anyone else fine the 1 series ABS a bit too sensitive for track use? Specially with good tires and track pads? I had a couple of instructors tell me the same, and just after that I started noticing it and paying attention to it. I believe the may be right.
After switching to Stoptech's BBK and HPS pads, I do find that limit braking in a straight line isn't hard to control to the ABS threshhold, but if you're trying to trail brake into a corner and rotate the car, ABS kicks on quickly and lasts near until I fully lift off.

It seems that it's less the F/R differences in wheel speeds that kick on ABS and more L/R in my opinion. Is this the same thing you're noticing that the ABS is kicking on at turn in or in a straight line?
fboutlaw is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
GaryS
Colonel
 
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

Posts: 2,089
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
Using DTC70/60 pads, I found it so easy to activate ABS, I stopped bedding in to reduce the friction (added benefit is no squeal). I can still activate ABS very easily, but not way too easily like before.

I just remembered, one guy I was talking to said my ABS activates so easily because the DTC70/60 pads are overpowering my Yoko AD08 tires. I don't know. I try to picture that, but I don't really get it.
GaryS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
int2str
Captain
 
int2str's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 655
iTrader: (2)

No problems here.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised how long the ABS stays "out of the way" before it kicks in.
int2str is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
After switching to Stoptech's BBK and HPS pads, I do find that limit braking in a straight line isn't hard to control to the ABS threshhold, but if you're trying to trail brake into a corner and rotate the car, ABS kicks on quickly and lasts near until I fully lift off.

It seems that it's less the F/R differences in wheel speeds that kick on ABS and more L/R in my opinion. Is this the same thing you're noticing that the ABS is kicking on at turn in or in a straight line?
Haven't really noticed it trail braking, maybe a couple of times. It mostly is on a straight line, coming in with allot of speed and braking hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Using DTC70/60 pads, I found it so easy to activate ABS, I stopped bedding in to reduce the friction (added benefit is no squeal). I can still activate ABS very easily, but not way too easily like before.

I just remembered, one guy I was talking to said my ABS activates so easily because the DTC70/60 pads are overpowering my Yoko AD08 tires. I don't know. I try to picture that, but I don't really get it.
This actually makes sense, which is probably why I noticed it more towards the later end of my NT-01 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
No problems here.
I'm actually pleasantly surprised how long the ABS stays "out of the way" before it kicks in.
What setup are you running?
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
int2str
Captain
 
int2str's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
What setup are you running?
Ferodo DS-2500, RBF fluid. Stock brakes otherwise.
Hankook RS-3, 255's square.
int2str is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,235
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
evidence seem to be pointing to brake pad compound. sounds like pads with high torque rating like hawk and carbotech maybe the culprit
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #15
Sauce
Lieutenant
 
Sauce's Avatar
 
Drives: Montego 135
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Studio City

Posts: 527
iTrader: (1)

In a straight line I have never noticed it. Although now that I think of it, I have noticed that even under what is 100% threshold braking in a straight line, I can still get the thing to turn in. I never really put together that it is most likely the ABS coming in harder. It's a nice little trick in ABS equipped race cars to have it step in a bit sooner on a trailing brake heavy tracks/drivers.
__________________
KW V3's, Sparco Pro2000's, Vorshlag CP's, JB4, Heat Wrapped Raceland DP's, aFe stg. 2 Sealed Intake, Miro 111's, Hankook RS3's 225/245 (for now), Seibon M3 CF Hood, Turner Motorsports Alum. Radiator, Big Tom IC, BMW Performance bumper.

Sauce is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
bavarianstig
Private
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 77
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
evidence seem to be pointing to brake pad compound. sounds like pads with high torque rating like hawk and carbotech maybe the culprit
Yandy,

You should not be having problems with ABS, unless you are using high performance pads with bad tires (friction of pads > grip of tires). However, high torque pads should not have an impact on ABS system if you have decent tires.

BMWs ABS system is widely regarded as one of the LEAST invasive systems on the market. So much so, that you will have other people (I have known some Corvette owners) retrofit the ABS module from BMWs into their cars.

I myself have Stoptech BBK, and have used Hawk, Carbotech XP8, 10, 12, and PFC-08 compounds in conjunction with Kuhmo Ecsta XS or Nitto NT-01 tires, and have never had problems. I know that when I switch to my street tires (regrettably which are Continental DWS) that have much less grip, ABS is much more invasive, even with street pads.

I'm guessing your problem is bad tires (too many heat cycles), and the grip just isn't what it used to be. If you have had this problem even when the tires were new, I'd suggest looking at your braking technique and work on modulation.
bavarianstig is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,808
iTrader: (1)

Since you track your car... you ABS sensors might be full of metal particles. That usually happens with higher miles. You can try using some compressed air and blow out any "gunk/crap" that is on the end of the magnetic ABS sensors. Or you can remove each one and clean them manually.

One other thing to check for is loose or worn out wheel bearings. Either of which will allow the ABS pickup wheel(sprocket) to be out of alignment or phase with the ABS sensor. Hence causing the ABS ecu to think your wheel speed is changing when in fact it isn't.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Since you track your car... you ABS sensors might be full of metal particles. That usually happens with higher miles. You can try using some compressed air and blow out any "gunk/crap" that is on the end of the magnetic ABS sensors. Or you can remove each one and clean them manually.

One other thing to check for is loose or worn out wheel bearings. Either of which will allow the ABS pickup wheel(sprocket) to be out of alignment or phase with the ABS sensor. Hence causing the ABS ecu to think your wheel speed is changing when in fact it isn't.
Cool, will give this a shot and report back.

Thanks
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #19
int2str
Captain
 
int2str's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 655
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
evidence seem to be pointing to brake pad compound. sounds like pads with high torque rating like hawk and carbotech maybe the culprit
You think that the DS-2500 is low torque?!
int2str is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #20
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,235
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
You think that the DS-2500 is low torque?!
it's lower torque than carbotech and hawk. I was running ds-2500. really like them. I am running pagid's now and they are lower torque than carbotech and hawk. I don't particularly like the high initial bite on some high torque pads. hard to modulate
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #21
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
 
yandy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 1,965
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to yandy Send a message via MSN to yandy Send a message via Skype™ to yandy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
it's lower torque than carbotech and hawk. I was running ds-2500. really like them. I am running pagid's now and they are lower torque than carbotech and hawk. I don't particularly like the high initial bite on some high torque pads. hard to modulate
How are the Pagids working out for you? Stopping power? Durability? Worth the extra $$$?
__________________
|| DCT | ESS Tune | ACM Test-pipes | AA Green Filter | Swift Spec-R Springs | Stoptech ST-40 F || || My Youtube Channel|| My Vimeo Channel ||
yandy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #22
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,235
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
How are the Pagids working out for you? Stopping power? Durability? Worth the extra $$$?
they are actually pretty low torque. would have preferred a little more bite. took me some time to get the modulating down. they seem to be easy on the rotors. five track days and still have roughly half left. drove on them for a month and surprisingly very little squeal and decent bite even when cold. worth the extra bucks, I guess if you figure how quickly one goes through hawks, then the answer is definitely yes!
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST