Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

02-05-2013, 03:47 AM   #1
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

M2... What do you want?

Given the many threads and off-topic discussions throughout 1Addicts on the topic of what people like or want in their ultimate ///M 2 series coupe I thought it might be interesting to gauge the level of interest not only in the car but people's realistic intention re purchasing same IF it happened in one place.

Knock your selves out in the poll and make a comment if you feel the need

(hopefully Scotty will look and take note)
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 04:55 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

When I was 14, that's when the E36 M3 winning all the praises and it becomes my dream car. It is a daily drive easy to live with, fun and easy to drive fast. Than the E46 arrives and BMW made it even better. Then it comes the CSL - to be honestly, that direction has taken away what was so great about the M3s - it becomes a car without compromise as a daily drive.

I think I would be more interested in a CRT version where most comfort items are maintained, but there is no compromise on cost. Much like the direction I am currently taking my 1M to. You put better parts in that will improve both comfort AND performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

My biggest concern with a CSL or GTS or CRT is the price tag.

The low volume makes the price go up to the moon. I drove the GTS. It s very nice but at such price i rather buy a normal M3 and mod it myself.

Same goes for an M2 CSL if the price is to high.

I rather see a new M2 mass production car. The buldog looks from the 1M more colours to choose from. 6 cil turbo engine. More focus on less weight (Carbon roof) More alu and carbon used. 340hp and 500nm is enough.

I rather see some sort of clubsport option off factory. Like the porsche GT3 has.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
Denso
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: e46M3 Ruby, Porsche Cayman GT4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I think I would be more interested in a CRT version where most comfort items are maintained, but there is no compromise on cost.

Now you are talking, i will take one of those please, i aint getting any younger you know haha
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

BMW should build an M2 CSL! It should be built and sold just like the e46 M3 CSL was... only offer two or three colors, be bare bones, but offer AC & radio(unlike the e46 M3 CSL), and maybe blue-tooth. It should have some tastey speed cloth sport seats and be a hard core track/street racer. AND it should sell for less than a regular M2 sells for. Make it like that way and ///M would redeem themselves to the die hard BMW M fans - like us.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

CSL or not, it should come with a 6MT and with a fair price.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
CSL or not, it should come with a 6MT and with a fair price.

Cheers
Robin
And... NOT limited nor hard to get one!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
BMW should build an M2 CSL! It should be built and sold just like the e46 M3 CSL was... only offer two or three colors, be bare bones, but offer AC & radio(unlike the e46 M3 CSL), and maybe blue-tooth. It should have some tastey speed cloth sport seats and be a hard core track/street racer. AND it should sell for less than a regular M2 sells for. Make it like that way and ///M would redeem themselves to the die hard BMW M fans - like us.
Come on Dack, you know in the car manufacturing world less costs more!

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T

Quote:
+1.
      02-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
And... NOT limited nor hard to get one!
Your spirit is not old enough to get a drivers license . Yet I share your dream.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I want a better salary, that's what I want. Which I will need to buy one if it turns out to be as good or better than 1M since I am quite determined to keep the 1M anyway.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 02-05-2013 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I want a regular M2, no special models that will cost an unreasonable amount for accessories with a target weight of at least a couple hundred lbs less than the F82. Since it will be turbocharged, even if they offer a higher output version there will be aftermarket software to counter paying BMW directly for said upgraded software.

This is what I'd want in my M2: comfort access, sport seats, haven't decided on transmission, AHLs, performance exhaust, Logic 7. Since that doesn't really fit in the motto of a CSL variant, no I wouldn't want one. It'd be cool to look at but this car would be a weekender, not a track warrior if I were to get one down the road. I want the car to feel more nimble than my 1, while retaining some semblance of modern tech.

The CSL variant of the M3 was never the one I wanted, I will admit it's gorgeous but I wouldn't be able to live with it. I want the e46M3 GTR. But since a high output version of the engine would be possible with software (unless they put out a whole new higher displacement engine) then the regular M2 is all I am currently looking forward to seeing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I want a regular M2, no special models that will cost an unreasonable amount for accessories with a target weight of at least a couple hundred lbs less than the F82. Since it will be turbocharged, even if they offer a higher output version there will be aftermarket software to counter paying BMW directly for said upgraded software.

This is what I'd want in my M2: comfort access, sport seats, haven't decided on transmission, AHLs, performance exhaust, Logic 7. Since that doesn't really fit in the motto of a CSL variant, no I wouldn't want one. It'd be cool to look at but this car would be a weekender, not a track warrior if I were to get one down the road. I want the car to feel more nimble than my 1, while retaining some semblance of modern tech.

The CSL variant of the M3 was never the one I wanted, I will admit it's gorgeous but I wouldn't be able to live with it. I want the e46M3 GTR. But since a high output version of the engine would be possible with software (unless they put out a whole new higher displacement engine) then the regular M2 is all I am currently looking forward to seeing.
+ 1

I like the idea of the CSL too but since the car is my daily, I love having all the luxuries. Until I have more space I'm limited to 1 car and 1 bike for now.

For this reason I loaded up my 135i up with every option I could, because for me it's the small things like Comfort Access, heated seats, Pro Nav etc that make the driving experience all that better when you're foot isn't flat on the accelerator.

I think if BMW follow the tradition of making everything better by at least 20% it will hold it's own.

Engine:
I would like to see the M2 have it's own specific engine, different to that of the rest of the 1/2 series range. It needs to have more displacement and/or more turbos. At the moment the only thing separating the 1M and the 135i is a tune. Having said that, there is so much more to an M car.

Carbon Fiber Roof:
I would also like to see the option for a CF roof, I know it sheds a lot of weight from the highest point of the car but they look badass too.

M Seats:
I'd like to see M specific seats similar to that of the M3, something that separates it from the rest of the line-up.

Transmission:
I'd love to see a DCT option as much as the purists might disagree. I would have upgraded to a 1M if the DCT was available. As fun as a MT is to drive, it's not ideal for my situation being a daily driver and having to drive in the city everyday. Also, the DCT is faster than me at the track and would never let me down.

Weight:
If the weight could be dropped, even if by 100 pounds, I'd be a happy man. It would be awesome to see the weight around 3000 pounds
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #14
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
+ 1

I like the idea of the CSL too but since the car is my daily, I love having all the luxuries. Until I have more space I'm limited to 1 car and 1 bike for now.

For this reason I loaded up my 135i up with every option I could, because for me it's the small things like Comfort Access, heated seats, Pro Nav etc that make the driving experience all that better when you're foot isn't flat on the accelerator.

I think if BMW follow the tradition of making everything better by at least 20% it will hold it's own.

Engine:
I would like to see the M2 have it's own specific engine, different to that of the rest of the 1/2 series range. It needs to have more displacement and/or more turbos. At the moment the only thing separating the 1M and the 135i is a tune. Having said that, there is so much more to an M car.

Carbon Fiber Roof:
I would also like to see the option for a CF roof, I know it sheds a lot of weight from the highest point of the car but they look badass too.

M Seats:
I'd like to see M specific seats similar to that of the M3, something that separates it from the rest of the line-up.

Transmission:
I'd love to see a DCT option as much as the purists might disagree. I would have upgraded to a 1M if the DCT was available. As fun as a MT is to drive, it's not ideal for my situation being a daily driver and having to drive in the city everyday. Also, the DCT is faster than me at the track and would never let me down.

Weight:
If the weight could be dropped, even if by 100 pounds, I'd be a happy man. It would be awesome to see the weight around 3000 pounds
I agree with you on most of these items except the bold, red, highlighted one. If you had said the following, I would go back to agreeing with you:

"At the moment the only thing separating the 1M and the 135i is a tune + an M3 Chassis with ZCP package, a factory tuned N54, 300lbs of weight reduction and helluva lot better resale value."
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #15
ALEJANDRO
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: White 1M 2012

I want a hatchback variant. that would make me very happy.

and please stay away from the headlights of the 2012 + series 1. they are disproportionate in size and make the car look dull.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #16
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
BMW will never make one, as we know with the 1M, BMW cannot make a car more desirable/better performing than the M3 period.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #17
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

On top of the current 1M, I'd want to see:

Less weight

Much more supportive seats that can also go down lower.

Better tyres, it's cheap of BMW to have stuck with Pilot sports when PSS were already out, don't care the reason behind it, BMW were just cheap. This car needs more traction.

Better intercooler than the donor car

Different intake so you can hear it!

Track oriented performance parts as an option. I'd like the option to be able to spec the car up to have Pilot Cup tyres, better brake pads, louder exhaust, racing harness, etc, kinda like a GT3 but as options.

Either way, BMW are on a winning formula, there's a strong demand for cars like these, it's only going to get better.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #18
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
I agree with you on most of these items except the bold, red, highlighted one. If you had said the following, I would go back to agreeing with you:

"At the moment the only thing separating the 1M and the 135i is a tune + an M3 Chassis with ZCP package, a factory tuned N54, 300lbs of weight reduction and helluva lot better resale value."
Not sure if you noticed I put it under the heading of "Engine"?.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
Tåst
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Less weight

This means that M2 need to be Na. Little electric motor on rear axle and system like Kers and maybe Co2 emissions are regular. But they don´t do that because of money, only maxium profit intresting.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #20
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
BMW will never make one, as we know with the 1M, BMW cannot make a car more desirable/better performing than the M3 period.
When former M Division boss Dr. Kay Segler was asked during a workshop at the 2011 Detroit Auto Show (Jan 2011) to coin the 1M in a single phrase he replied: "The 1M is basically a truncated M3 Competition Package with a manual". He added that the 1M does not need more power and that the production volume was kept low "to keep resale value as high as possible - creating an instant classic".
      02-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #21
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley1175 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holander View Post
This means that M2 need to be Na. Little electric motor on rear axle and system like Kers and maybe Co2 emissions are regular. But they don´t do that because of money, only maxium profit intresting.
The M2 might also get the "Active Sound Design" sound composer to "enhance" the engine sound inside the cabin (read: mislead the folks on board):We may call that the Karaoke ///M Sound feature: you may all sing along "Vrooom"...
      02-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The M2 might also get the "Active Sound Design" sound composer to "enhance" the engine sound inside the cabin (read: mislead the folks on board):We may call that the Karaoke ///M Sound feature: you may all sing along "Vrooom"...
Has there been any luck with coding to remove said "Active sound"?
Appreciate 0