BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #1
haitham87
Private First Class
haitham87's Avatar
Lebanon
4
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 135i, JB4, AA BOV, PE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Beirut

iTrader: (0)

LSD

Hey fellas, whats the best LsD for manual 135i?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
GaryS
Colonel
25
Rep
2,089
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 135i  [3.25]
probably OS Giken
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
333
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

If I'm not mistaken a Wavetrac is the best in no load scenarios like on ice or if a tire is lifted and is also the cheapest. That makes it the best option for a lot of people. I'm sure others will chime in with more information.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
smw356
Private
0
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Anyone have experience with the OS Giken superlock diff and how much it effects every day driveability.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
85
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen, Dinan (basically Torsen) are all gear type LSDs, while OS Giken and Drexler are clutch type.

The clutch types offer performance advantages on a track, but aren't as nice for day to day driving. They're still fine for the street, but it's up to you if they are not quiet or smooth enough if you're daily driving your car. The quaife and wavetrac are both great for street driving and track days.

Basically, for the street a gear type will cost less money, be less work for you to maintain, be smoother, and overall nicer mannered. But a clutch type will hold traction better, will handle high amounts of torque better (no gears to break from too much force), and will overall perform better. Also, IIRC, Drexler (clutch type) manufactures the differentials for AMG cars and for BMW Motorsport's race cars. I don't really know any race cars with gear type LSDs.

I don't have an LSD yet, but I have my eye on the OS giken unit... but it's two grand I heard it's not terrible at all for daily driving, and has more than double the plates of the Drexler unit so it will last much longer even with hard driving.

I believe the Berk Technology time attack car uses an OS Giken unit. I'm sure someone would be happy to comment on how they like it if you send them a PM.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
162
Rep
10,222
Posts

Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

^thats a great explanation. OSG is what berk runs - you're correct.


Just curious OP. why do you think you need the 3-5K investment that is an LSD?
__________________

Motorsport Photographer - mattkalish.com
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #7
haitham87
Private First Class
haitham87's Avatar
Lebanon
4
Rep
100
Posts

Drives: 135i, JB4, AA BOV, PE
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Beirut

iTrader: (0)

Thanks 1speedbike... Hmmm well, im looking for an LSD mainly for road use.. For drifting in particular... As i saw, do the other lsd's need installation like the Quaefi?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
85
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitham87 View Post
Thanks 1speedbike... Hmmm well, im looking for an LSD mainly for road use.. For drifting in particular... As i saw, do the other lsd's need installation like the Quaefi?
I'm 99% sure that any LSD you buy for the manual transmission will be more expensive and a bit more involved to install. This is because the diff for the manual is welded and not bolted like the auto. For example, the OS Giken auto unit is about $1900, while the manual unit is about $2200 (this is just at one online store that I happened to look at. I'm sure prices differ). I think any diff. you get will have a similar install as the Quaife. For road use, a gear-type LSD is fine.. but...I remember hearing that clutch type LSDs are better for drifting. Though, being honest, I'm not really sure why it would be preferable for drifting over a gear-type.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
888
Rep
17,114
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

Many people go with a Quaife bc of the no to little wear over the life of the unit and that it works seamlessly. ie: no jerking or noises when its doing its job.

These threads might make for some good reading material for you OP...


http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t+Differential

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...t+Differential
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
BrokenVert's Avatar
United_States
162
Rep
10,222
Posts

Drives: Topless 135/Electric Boogaloo
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Fahrvergnügen/NY

iTrader: (0)

Andre, gear type LSDs tend to become open diffs when one wheel has zero traction - so a lifted wheel or driving on bad ice/snow.

Clutch type diffs don't have this issue. They allow full lock in zero traction scenarios.

That being said - the ediff on our cars is will active no matter what. So it takes some of the issue with gear types away
__________________

Motorsport Photographer - mattkalish.com
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Eyeman
Lieutenant Colonel
Eyeman's Avatar
21
Rep
1,703
Posts

Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
With a tuned LSD, in my mind you really need an LSD. I'm amazed how well my Quaife works with the factory traction control system. Before the LSD I would often have to mess with the traction control button and I'd still get traction control interference, even before I was tuned. Now I can practically drift without even messing with traction control. I get flashing traction control lights here and there but never notice any braking, etc. I still have way too much power for my tires but it's much better and much more controllable with the LSD.
__________________
BSM, Blk leather, 30%tint, Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, Nitto 555 225/35fr PSS 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, rearseat removal, iCarbon diffuser and front lip, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
85
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Andre, gear type LSDs tend to become open diffs when one wheel has zero traction - so a lifted wheel or driving on bad ice/snow.

Clutch type diffs don't have this issue. They allow full lock in zero traction scenarios.

That being said - the ediff on our cars is will active no matter what. So it takes some of the issue with gear types away
OOoohh! I get it now!

Makes sense. Clutch types wins in my eyes, even if the ediff compensates in some ways. Still, cool that a gear type LSD and the computer work together in that way. Thanks dude!
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 06:52 PM   #13
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
85
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
With a tuned LSD, in my mind you really need an LSD. I'm amazed how well my Quaife works with the factory traction control system. Before the LSD I would often have to mess with the traction control button and I'd still get traction control interference, even before I was tuned. Now I can practically drift without even messing with traction control. I get flashing traction control lights here and there but never notice any braking, etc. I still have way too much power for my tires but it's much better and much more controllable with the LSD.
You're really making me want to have a spare couple grand lying around for a LSD. Thanks for your opinion, even though I hate you for having one
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #14
smw356
Private
0
Rep
79
Posts

Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

From my research the biggest downside to the clutch type ones is the fact that our OEM diff housing doesn't have a drain plug, which makes changing the oil a PITA.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Is the 1M diff an option for a 135?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
bdoooh
Captain
12
Rep
819
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

I was going to post up in another thread.. but I think I'll hijack this one since it's on the same topic.. I've been looking into LSDs lately as one of my first mods. I feel as if getting more power like most people desire, as much as it is tempting, I believe supporting mods for the future power is more important. And seeing as the wavetrac is $1200, that isn't too bad.. but.. my question is.. what's the true cost of getting an LSD in a manual N55 135i? Seeing as the differential is welded..

True cost meaning.. the LSD ( minus the core charge ), installation, and any other costs that may be associated with this. It is... around $1200, right?
__________________
2015 AW M3 (MINE)
2015 GSM X1 (HERS)
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
1speedbike
Colonel
1speedbike's Avatar
85
Rep
2,936
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ, NYC, Baltimore

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoooh View Post
I was going to post up in another thread.. but I think I'll hijack this one since it's on the same topic.. I've been looking into LSDs lately as one of my first mods. I feel as if getting more power like most people desire, as much as it is tempting, I believe supporting mods for the future power is more important. And seeing as the wavetrac is $1200, that isn't too bad.. but.. my question is.. what's the true cost of getting an LSD in a manual N55 135i? Seeing as the differential is welded..

True cost meaning.. the LSD ( minus the core charge ), installation, and any other costs that may be associated with this. It is... around $1200, right?
Going by what it says on N54Tuning for buying the Wavetrac...

Quote:
If you are welded you need to select the install kit + core option. Install Kit is 699.00 and the REFUNDABLE core is 800.00 (Total 1499.00) (800.00 core is refunded once your stock pumpkin is sent back)
So it's $1,199 + $1,499 (core + install kit) - $800 (core refund) + labor cost (I don't think this is DIY for most people) = $1,898 + labor.

The install kit seems necessary for welded (manual) but not bolted diffs. Going by what I've seen, Dinan quotes 4.8 hours for install, other places quote up to 8 hours (!!), so I'm assuming something like $400-$800 cost for the install. So, total cost would be $2,298 - $2,698 depending on the installation labor cost for MT. $699 less for an auto that doesn't need the install kit.
__________________

Year 1 of the 1
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
TT1351
First Lieutenant
TT1351's Avatar
4
Rep
345
Posts

Drives: 135I
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Check out VAC Motorsports, in PA, they can install a Quaiffe, and do the required machining, I got one from them and love it, no issues. Fran
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
bdoooh
Captain
12
Rep
819
Posts

Drives: 2015 AW M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1351
Check out VAC Motorsports, in PA, they can install a Quaiffe, and do the required machining, I got one from them and love it, no issues. Fran
How much did you end up paying when it was all said and done if you don't mind me asking?
__________________
2015 AW M3 (MINE)
2015 GSM X1 (HERS)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States
472
Rep
11,542
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1speedbike View Post
Quaife, Wavetrac, Torsen, Dinan (basically Torsen) are all gear type LSDs, while OS Giken and Drexler are clutch type.

The clutch types offer performance advantages on a track, but aren't as nice for day to day driving. They're still fine for the street, but it's up to you if they are not quiet or smooth enough if you're daily driving your car. The quaife and wavetrac are both great for street driving and track days.

Basically, for the street a gear type will cost less money, be less work for you to maintain, be smoother, and overall nicer mannered. But a clutch type will hold traction better, will handle high amounts of torque better (no gears to break from too much force), and will overall perform better. Also, IIRC, Drexler (clutch type) manufactures the differentials for AMG cars and for BMW Motorsport's race cars. I don't really know any race cars with gear type LSDs.

I don't have an LSD yet, but I have my eye on the OS giken unit... but it's two grand I heard it's not terrible at all for daily driving, and has more than double the plates of the Drexler unit so it will last much longer even with hard driving.

I believe the Berk Technology time attack car uses an OS Giken unit. I'm sure someone would be happy to comment on how they like it if you send them a PM.
You are mostly right. However, there is hardly any load on the gears in a gear type LSD because it never goes into a full lock. With gear type LSD there is much less wear and heat, thus less frequent gear oil changes and failures. Clutch type will eventually need a rebuild and frequent gear oil changes to extend their service life. And there is sometimes the noise issue with some clutch type LSD's you have to deal with for day to day driving.

If your car is mostly a street car, a gear type LSD, such as the Quaife or the Wavetrac is recommended. If you do more track then street or compete in drifting events then the natural choice is a clutch type LSD.

PM, email or call us with any specific questions you may have. We have extensive experience with Quaife, Wavetrac and OS Giken LSDs on E8x/E9x chassis ever since they came out 6 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #21
Scott B
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
210
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NorCal

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Is the 1M diff an option for a 135?
Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
int2str
Captain
int2str's Avatar
Germany
21
Rep
655
Posts

Drives: 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Is the 1M diff an option for a 135?
Not a good one

Somebody here has done it, I believe. But since the dimension and the placement on the car are different from the 135i, other changes are required. At a minimum, M3 half-shafts are necessary, I believe.

The other options mentioned in this thread are much more sensible IMHO.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST