BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

BMW 1M or 2009 GT-R?

What would you guys choose? The used price of 2009 GT-R's are now approaching the crazy used asking price people want for 1M's. For not much more you can slide into a GT-R. What direction would you guys go? Would love to her opinions.
      02-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Reedomn
Major
Rep
Drives: Lambo Huracan/RR Velar/C8

Totally different car. I do not think the prices are crazy. Not far off MSRP for a very limited production car.
If you have 60k to burn there are plenty of options incl 911's etc.

Good luck
e36 M3, e30 M3........
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
Sequence
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 n54 335is

GTR easy
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldorian View Post
What would you guys choose? The used price of 2009 GT-R's are now approaching the crazy used asking price people want for 1M's. For not much more you can slide into a GT-R. What direction would you guys go? Would love to her opinions.
Two questions:
Do you want to go fast, or do you want to have fun?
Are you a good driver (really, no BS).

You already have an M3, a similar but more civilized driving experience vs the 1M. What's wrong with it?

If the answer is that it's not fast enough, especially on wet Seattle roads, get the GTR. A to B the 1M will not touch it.

If the answer is that it's not a raw and involving enough driving experience then consider the 1M. I would argue (and I appreciate that I may be in the minority) that unless you more than occasionally drive the M3 with TC off (and highly sideways) the charms of the 1M might be wasted on you.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, the attrition rate for these cars is very high. I do seriously believe you need to be an above-average driver to get the most from one.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a full-range analog driving experience in a modern car the 1M is one of the best. If you're looking for top notch digital the GTR is near the best. Take your pick.
      02-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #5
splitsecond
Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If you want the fastest car, get the GTR. No question that it's faster.

If you want the best driving experience, get the 1M. RWD will always feel better than AWD.

If you want something with the best handling and sports car experience, get a Porsche. A true sports car can't have the engine in the front.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
Two questions:
Do you want to go fast, or do you want to have fun?
Are you a good driver (really, no BS).

You already have an M3, a similar but more civilized driving experience vs the 1M. What's wrong with it?

If the answer is that it's not fast enough, especially on wet Seattle roads, get the GTR. A to B the 1M will not touch it.

If the answer is that it's not a raw and involving enough driving experience then consider the 1M. I would argue (and I appreciate that I may be in the minority) that unless you more than occasionally drive the M3 with TC off (and highly sideways) the charms of the 1M might be wasted on you.

Also, not trying to be a jerk, the attrition rate for these cars is very high. I do seriously believe you need to be an above-average driver to get the most from one.

Bottom line: If you're looking for a full-range analog driving experience in a modern car the 1M is one of the best. If you're looking for top notch digital the GTR is near the best. Take your pick.
Thanks for the great feedback. I should update my info. Sold the M3 over a year ago. It was 6MT. The main thing turning me off of the GT-R is the Dual Clutch.

I'm a decent driver. Good comparison between analog and digital experiences. Hard call.

Just opening up the discussion now that the prices are getting more equal and seeing if you guys would still make the same choice. Before it easier as there was a much higher price delta.

The M3 driving experience felt numb. Primary reason I sold it.
      02-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Drove my friends GT-R last weekend. Amazing car. But wow: extremely mechanical feel to it. Great car for on the weekend, but not a good idea for a daily.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #8
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Drove my friends GT-R last weekend. Amazing car. But wow: extremely mechanical feel to it. Great car for on the weekend, but not a good idea for a daily.
Awesome. Do you recall what year it was? Did you miss 6MT?
      02-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Awesome. Do you recall what year it was? Did you miss 6MT?
He has a 2011. I actually detailed it that same day for him as well (pics here: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=796905)

I have never owned a sports car that was a 6MT so hard for me to compare it to anything...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
Vigilante375
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 AW 6M 135i

Whats there to not like about the DCT? I hear it's a great tans I did test drive a 135i with the DCT and it was awesome but went with the 6 speed instead. And would this be a DD or a whenever it's nice/weekends car?

Either way.....I'd choose the GT-R over the 1M as it can be made stupid fast and does handle very, very well.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Bro 2 absolutely incredibly different cars I don't think you can even compare the 2
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #12
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '69 GT3, GT4, 1M, 912

Quote:
Just opening up the discussion now that the prices are getting more equal and seeing if you guys would still make the same choice. Before it easier as there was a much higher price delta.

The M3 driving experience felt numb. Primary reason I sold it.
Personally I would not trade for a GTR straight across for my 1M.

I must say that's not because of quality or "value"- I think the GTR is a better machine on many counts. The engineering is superior in most ways. Fast-road feel and feedback are top notch. Performance and potential are 5-10 years ahead of its time.

The main reasons I won't consider it:
A) I'm living in America now (as opposed to Germany), and the ability to consistently go 3x faster than everyone else on the road is more of a liability than an asset.
B) I have a track car, so I'm not looking to fill that role.
C) It doesn't speak to me, emotionally.
D) The driving experience, while epic at full attack, is not as epic on public roads most of the time due to the lack of accessibility.

The 1M has some things in common with some vintage sports cars or say a Subaru BRZ- it's fun on the road at less than "ludicrous speed". And while I've had a number of street cars that needed to be traveling at spaceballs velocities to wake up, I've personally decided that's not ideal for life expectancy, insurance rates or general enjoyment on the street. In real life there is much to be said for going slower but with a bigger smile.

Basically I see the GTR as the leading wave of the future, while that 1M is one of the last of a dying breed of old-school drive it yourself hooligans. You won't be able to get 6MT for long (having owned DTC I will dearly miss the 6MT). You won't be able to turn traction control completely off for long (sad but true). Etc.

Ten years from now you'll be able to buy a much faster, more capable GTR and competitors. However you probably won't be able to buy a better old-school 6MT hooligan that the 1M. It's near the high point of a vehicle genre that I appreciate, and I'm in no particular hurry to move on.

Unless you occasionally drive like a bit of a moron on the street with TC off I worry the 1M may also feel a little numb (unless you track or autocross it). In that case something sharper like a GT3 might give you more of the instant feedback and feel you're looking for.

However if you do drive without TC I doubt numb will be the first word that comes to mind.
      02-04-2013, 12:19 AM   #13
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

like most have already stated. they're two very different cars and depends on what you want.
I've driven a friends and these are my inputs.
GTR
-DCT really not much to complain about (except makes a bit transmission noise).
-you have to drive it more carefully (scraping is more of an issue)
-more cabin noise (1M seems more refined)
-can be driven normally/daily (takes only a touch of throttle to remind you why its called the Godzilla)
-major street presence
-performance (sure this isn't RWD and light, but there is no getting away from the fact that its a SERIOUS performance machine. It has never failed to put a smile on my face or made passengers grab for the nonexistent "ohshit" handle. I still get amazed every time i feel full throttle. did some pulls and tracked together...cant really compare at all there haha)
1M
-6MT (pro or con based on what you want)
-don't have to worry too much about scraping and good all rounder
-great little RWD driver oriented handling
-rarity/special value

L1MTD

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personally I would not trade for a GTR straight across for my 1M.

I must say that's not because of quality or "value"- I think the GTR is a better machine on many counts. The engineering is superior in most ways. Fast-road feel and feedback are top notch. Performance and potential are 5-10 years ahead of its time.

The main reasons I won't consider it:
A) I'm living in America now (as opposed to Germany), and the ability to consistently go 3x faster than everyone else on the road is more of a liability than an asset.
B) I have a track car, so I'm not looking to fill that role.
C) It doesn't speak to me, emotionally.
D) The driving experience, while epic at full attack, is not as epic on public roads most of the time due to the lack of accessibility.

The 1M has some things in common with some vintage sports cars or say a Subaru BRZ- it's fun on the road at less than "ludicrous speed". And while I've had a number of street cars that needed to be traveling at spaceballs velocities to wake up, I've personally decided that's not ideal for life expectancy, insurance rates or general enjoyment on the street. In real life there is much to be said for going slower but with a bigger smile.

Basically I see the GTR as the leading wave of the future, while that 1M is one of the last of a dying breed of old-school drive it yourself hooligans. You won't be able to get 6MT for long (having owned DTC I will dearly miss the 6MT). You won't be able to turn traction control completely off for long (sad but true). Etc.

Ten years from now you'll be able to buy a much faster, more capable GTR and competitors. However you probably won't be able to buy a better old-school 6MT hooligan that the 1M. It's near the high point of a vehicle genre that I appreciate, and I'm in no particular hurry to move on.

Unless you occasionally drive like a bit of a moron on the street with TC off I worry the 1M may also feel a little numb (unless you track or autocross it). In that case something sharper like a GT3 might give you more of the instant feedback and feel you're looking for.

However if you do drive without TC I doubt numb will be the first word that comes to mind.
Quote:
The 1M has some things in common with some vintage sports cars or say a Subaru BRZ- it's fun on the road at less than "ludicrous speed"
Awesome response. I think you've nailed it for me. My gut instinct was thinking the same thing. In a way the E92 M3 was the same way. You had to rev it to the moon and by then your travelling at crazy speeds too. Hence, my STI felt "faster" most of the time.

My gut is saying the same thing about the GT-R. I just put it up for comparison because it is such a awesome technical machine and I've always had a soft spot for GT-R's.
      02-04-2013, 05:14 AM   #15
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

well, since i just logged in and saw this, I have both 2009 gtr and 1M, like them both very much, but I like to drive the 1M much more than the GTR, one of the first few that got it when it first came out late 2008. Not a daily driver, even though i love the backseat, speed is always there, love to drive it in manual, pain in the ass to drive slow.
Since 2012 model came out, thought about trading up, but decided to keep it since its one of the first serie R35 in the US. My first supercar the GTR, my fun car 1M.

I try to use the GTR as an everyday car, not good, too many attention. Got keyed in the parking lot, someone hit n run in the rear bumber also parked at work.
So if you like attention, definitely get the GTR lol. If it were my first choice between the 2 knowing what I know now.

1M all the way

Last edited by FIRSTM; 02-04-2013 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #16
ace11
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1M - A1 quattro - S3

before getting my 1M i was asking myself the same question.

i had an rs3 and loved the AWD, but typically, audis are just "boring" cars in the sense that they are very very easy to drive very fast.

i was then playing with a novidem gt-r with 600hp and a skn 1M with 440hp and couldnt decide which to get. the gt-r with its double clutch is just mind blowing. best double clutch i ever drove. and the car is soo powerful. despite its massive grip you can drive it sideways on any surface at any speed you want. obviously the same goes for the 1M once the electronics are off.

ultimately what convinced me to get the 1M is a combo of things; its raw mechanical feel, the manual gearbox, the RWD, the light feel it has, etc.... what really turned me off the gt-r is the attention you get with it. yes the 1M has a very aggressive look, but still looks like a normal car when comparing it to a gt-r.
(also, i think i am too young to be seen driving in a gt-r).
      02-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:

This is all the reason you need in order to choose the 1M over a GT-R or over another "capable car".
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I would shy away from the GTR based on the fact that it is a 2009. If it were a 2010 or 2011 with the updated transmission coding / work it may be a different story.

Additionally, as an only car IMO the 1M is better.

I will say this, i would NOT pay 60k for a 1M. As others have said, too many good cars hover around that price range. For example, the excellent 997tt is around 60-70k used.

I love my 1M, and wouldnt trade it for anything in this price range.

I just tracked the car, and with a stage 1+ tune, the car has plenty if not too much power for the track for an average driver. It was really fun
      02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #19
Jaw_F430
Private
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I sold my 2009 gtr to buy the 1M. The gtr was silly fast and a lot of fun but as it was coming to the end of its warranty period I was getting nervous about any problems developing. Everything seems to have a "gtr" tax on it. I used mine daily and the 6000 mile service interval seemed to arrive fast. 2011 onwards has a 9000 mile or annual service interval. The gearbox software upgrade is a must if you buy pre 2011, it makes slow manoeuvres smooth. The 1M just feels more nimble. Both cars are awesome though so it will come down to the test drive and which you enjoy driving the most
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #20
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Someone recently posted a dealer brake/rotor change was quoted around $20k. That's nucking futs.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
Someone recently posted a dealer brake/rotor change was quoted around $20k. That's nucking futs.
I heard the GTR's first break-in oil change is around $2.5K!!!

No dealer service no warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #22
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

My 2 cents. Don't buy a car today for what it'll be in 10 years buy it for what it is right now.

The ideal that a true "sports car" cannot have a front mounted engine and has to be RWD is also hogwash. Lambo, Porche and Ferrari all make AWD cars. Ferrari and Austin make front mounted engine sports cars.

My advice is get a 2010 or 2011 corrected transmission GTR. Supercar status for non-super car price.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1M, but if I were buying today I'd probably go with the GTR. I just couldn't justify the extra 20 to 25 K at the time I bought my car.
Appreciate 0