BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
klick
Private First Class
8
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Anyone running Whiteline/Prothane or Powerflex Rear Subframe Bushings?

I am about to do an overhaul to my suspension on my 2010 128i by adding 2011 135i M-Sport shocks and springs, M3 front control arm kit, and a MFactory LSD.

The only thing I am unsure about is which rear subframe bushings to install.

I know everyone here raves about the M3 ones, but to be honest, those are expensive in both price and installation costs in comparison to the alternatives.

I have been looking seriously into the Whiteline bushings, and I was wondering if anyone has been running them and how they feel about them.

The inserts are a no-go since the car I bought has almost 80k miles on it, and I know that replacing the parts will be necessary soon.

If anyone can share their experiences with the alternatives to the M3 bushings it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:02 PM   #2
brocklanders
Major
brocklanders's Avatar
62
Rep
1,410
Posts

Drives: the uno, mineral white
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: houston

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
I have them, installed them in my garage with a Bentley manual and the hp removal tool. If I were to do it over I would do solid bushings in the subframe, I was worried about nvh but haven't experienced any at all. I have whiteline poly in my subframe and tension struts, my goal is to go full poly front and rear with the exception of the diff bushings and maybe down the road switch to solid subframe bushes.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:16 PM   #3
slonik
Second Lieutenant
slonik's Avatar
99
Rep
236
Posts

Drives: e46 M3, e82 135i (s65 swap)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Moscow Region, Zhukovsky

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to slonik Send a message via Skype™ to slonik
klick
i've used custom solid mounts in subframe.
all works great.

on new m4 and m5 rear subframe fits solid with no rubber from factory.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
ian48
Private
8
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern Florida

iTrader: (0)

I'm running AKG black and they are awesome. No increase in noise but they do provide the desired effect of removing the wiggle from the back.
Very easy to install once you get the old ones out.
I highly recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #5
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
32
Rep
746
Posts

Drives: E87 130i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The Hills.

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [2.62]
I have whiteline. If you're in there, do the Turner solid Alu subframe bushes.

Personally I'd also do the M3 bars whilst in there and never drop the frame again!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Fidiman
Lieutenant
Fidiman's Avatar
France
43
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [5.00]
My chassis is almost finished. For the moment, I have Powerflex Black inserts, very easy to install them when subframe is slightly dropped.

I'm thinking doing the job once again but this time in order to but some AKG or aluminium bushings. I don't know which route to take as I dont't have any press or any extract tools at home ! I would like not to drop all the subframe but slightly lower it ... Any comments ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ian48 View Post
I'm running AKG black and they are awesome. No increase in noise but they do provide the desired effect of removing the wiggle from the back.
Very easy to install once you get the old ones out.
I highly recommend them.
ian48, did you do the job by your own ? Could you give more details when you said it's very easy to install them, please ?

Thanks a lot
__________________

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
e36addict
Captain
United_States
72
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Tim @ BMW of Dallas

iTrader: (5)

I have the whiteline bushings. Install wasn't that bad, and the feel is much better. No more wiggly wobbly rear end, and no increased NVH.
__________________
'97 M3/4/5 - Boosted.
'98 Z3 2.8 Roadster - AKG poly everything, GC coilovers. 225k and climbing.
'99 Z3 2.8 Coupe - Stock (for now)
'13 Smart Fortwo - DD/beater.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 04:45 PM   #8
ian48
Private
8
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern Florida

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidiman
My chassis is almost finished. For the moment, I have Powerflex Black inserts, very easy to install them when subframe is slightly dropped.

I'm thinking doing the job once again but this time in order to but some AKG or aluminium bushings. I don't know which route to take as I dont't have any press or any extract tools at home ! I would like not to drop all the subframe but slightly lower it ... Any comments ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ian48 View Post
I'm running AKG black and they are awesome. No increase in noise but they do provide the desired effect of removing the wiggle from the back.
Very easy to install once you get the old ones out.
I highly recommend them.
ian48, did you do the job by your own ? Could you give more details when you said it's very easy to install them, please ?

Thanks a lot
As far as actually installing them once the old ones are out, you just grease the new bushings and push them in to the subframe. No press is needed for this part.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 01:58 AM   #9
klick
Private First Class
8
Rep
110
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the reply guys! Looks like the alternatives are just as worthwhile as the OE BMW M3 bushings.

I am very curious about the AKG bushings now though, they seem to be fairly priced as well and if they are fairly easy to install, it might actually prefer them since they are 1-piece bushings..decisions...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #10
Fidiman
Lieutenant
Fidiman's Avatar
France
43
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [5.00]
Thanks ian48 ! Did you use special grease or do AKG give you something for mounting them ? When pushing them in the subrame, did you use a mallet or it could be done by hand ?

Thanks to their profile, I think we just need to lower the subframe for few centimeters ...


klick, that's a very good alternative: I personally didn't and still don't want 1 piece bushings (except solid ones). I found a shop in Sweeden in which you can buy solid aluminium bushings. Installation without press ... Sounds interesting too !
__________________

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #11
uberschnell
Brigadier General
uberschnell's Avatar
No_Country
475
Rep
3,976
Posts

Drives: Wide Body 1
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bay Area

iTrader: (48)

White Lines for about 10K, the same performance as the M3 RSFB, and no increase in NVH

Installed them in my driveway.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #12
Fidiman
Lieutenant
Fidiman's Avatar
France
43
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [5.00]
Yeah, it will be more or less the same performance. Only drawback : I don't know the hardness of them.

Any pics of the installation ? They are in two pieces and black, aren't they ?
__________________

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Fidiman
Lieutenant
Fidiman's Avatar
France
43
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [5.00]
Yeah, they will be more or less the same I think. Only drawback, I don't know the stiffness of them.

Do you have any pics of the installation of the Whiteline bushings ? They are in two pieces and black, aren't they ?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #14
ian48
Private
8
Rep
64
Posts

Drives: 135i
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Southern Florida

iTrader: (0)

I used marine grease which works very well for this application.
They can be pressed in my hand though I did use the two piece ones.
The black ones I have installed are 95A for hardness.
If you need any advice for removing the OE ones, there are plenty of threads for their removal or just send me a PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 05:24 PM   #15
135TX
Lieutenant
53
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: '11 135i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (5)

Im about to order Powerflex "race series" black subframe bushing inserts.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ngs/ES2651728/

My reason for doing the insert v M3 bushing is that I have neither the appropriate tools, ability or time to remove the bushings and install new ones. and i dont want to throw 800-1000 to someone in labor costs alone. SMH

I do however anticipate dropping the subframe and putting the inserts is well within my capability.

The question I have are,
How long will the recommended/included copper grease I apply to them stay, how long till i need to remove and regrease them, I dont want to deal with squeaking .

How planted will they be compared to stock and vs m3?
Ive heard in terms of rigidity:
stock<whiteline insert<m3 bushing< full poly( various compounds race being stiffest)< aluminum

the difference being im going with Powerflex not whiteline,
Powerflex has "performance"- yellow and "race"-black, the guy at ECS said the race are like 95 or 105 durometer, he wasnt sure FWIW.

So where will I be in the spectrum of stability?
Is this a decent choice?

I have m3 front arms and will eventually do m3 rear upper arms as well...
I will track my car 4-6x a year, but am new to the platform, thx for the help in advance.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #16
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
838
Rep
5,542
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

As someone who opted for inserts vs bushings. Don't waste your time. You will be happy for a few weeks, maybe a few months, and then want more. Do it right the first time.

Yeah, it's easy though.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:20 PM   #17
135TX
Lieutenant
53
Rep
525
Posts

Drives: '11 135i
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Austin, Texas

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
As someone who opted for inserts vs bushings. Don't waste your time. You will be happy for a few weeks, maybe a few months, and then want more. Do it right the first time.

Yeah, it's easy though.
Thanks for the candid response

In doing research I think I came across your opinion about the inserts.
I was afraid I'd get plenty of feedback like that, but that's what I need...the opinions of those who have done it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2015, 10:25 PM   #18
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
838
Rep
5,542
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Thanks for the candid response

In doing research I think I came across your opinion about the inserts.
I was afraid I'd get plenty of feedback like that, but that's what I need...the opinions of those who have done it.
Honestly, take advantage of the history folks with these cars have.

The question is this:
Polyurethane bushings, or Aluminum.

M3 bushings are an obvious for the OEM conscious as well. Nothing wrong with that.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2015, 05:15 AM   #19
Fidiman
Lieutenant
Fidiman's Avatar
France
43
Rep
528
Posts

Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: France

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [5.00]
I had the black inserts. I think, it's something a bit stiffer than the M3 bushing, but that's slight. My OEM bushings are getting older and older, thus I'm thinking about another solution.

Like ShocknAwe said, after, you will want more and more ... So if I were you, I would choose the right solution first. I didn't do that because I was not sure about what I would do with the car and if I would be able to do mechanical jobs on it (and now I know, yes I am). Do like I am doing : searh two pieces bushings, it will be easier than one piece rubbers. Take a look at the Whiteline bushes or AKG ones. If you are crazy, you can go with solid bushings

I think I will personnally go for the AKG ones or the aluminium ones !
__________________

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #20
markslc1
Second Lieutenant
19
Rep
224
Posts

Drives: 08 128i 6sp
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Mill Creek, WA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Im about to order Powerflex "race series" black subframe bushing inserts.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ngs/ES2651728/

My reason for doing the insert v M3 bushing is that I have neither the appropriate tools, ability or time to remove the bushings and install new ones. and i dont want to throw 800-1000 to someone in labor costs alone. SMH

I do however anticipate dropping the subframe and putting the inserts is well within my capability.

The question I have are,
How long will the recommended/included copper grease I apply to them stay, how long till i need to remove and regrease them, I dont want to deal with squeaking .

How planted will they be compared to stock and vs m3?
Ive heard in terms of rigidity:
stock<whiteline insert<m3 bushing< full poly( various compounds race being stiffest)< aluminum
.
Any update? Interests in knowing what you chose and how it's going. I have the same decision to make soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #21
Bubes29
Enlisted Member
Bubes29's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
30
Posts

Drives: 2010 128i
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (1)

Review coming soon

I just ordered them today and I'm hoping to install this weekend (depending on how difficult it ends up being).

I have a few manhole covers outside my neighborhood that will be perfect for testing out the whiteline rsfb compared to stock. Whenever I hit them now, my back passenger side kicks out and the entire car pulls right for a brief second. I think that new stiffer bushings should solve that but I'll let you know soon!

FYI for anyone looking into this, now is the time to buy. $25 off if you order online and even ships with Amazon Prime.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 08:24 PM   #22
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
AndyW's Avatar
United_States
130
Rep
957
Posts

Drives: 2008 335i E93 & 2012 135i E82
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Washington, USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubes29 View Post
I just ordered them today and I'm hoping to install this weekend (depending on how difficult it ends up being).

I have a few manhole covers outside my neighborhood that will be perfect for testing out the whiteline rsfb compared to stock. Whenever I hit them now, my back passenger side kicks out and the entire car pulls right for a brief second. I think that new stiffer bushings should solve that but I'll let you know soon!

FYI for anyone looking into this, now is the time to buy. $25 off if you order online and even ships with Amazon Prime.
Did you get (or rent) the tool? Without the tool it is a PITA. Just my 0.02.
__________________
Best,
Andy

2012 135i E82 M-Sport - EVO1 FMIC, ERCP, Wedge MHD Tune//2008 335i E93 - HPF FMIC, ERCP, c-PE DPs, Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:39 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST