BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #67
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Engine bay temps will have a BIG impact on iat's
How is an A2W intercooler going to reduce engine bay temps though?

As far as I know A2W is just more efficient at lowering IATs
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:26 AM   #68
JB4-335
Colonel
JB4-335's Avatar
Australia
35
Rep
2,600
Posts

 
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu

All jokes aside, I think all N54's need hood venting for heat dissipation.
Agree. Vented hoods will help the heat escape. Every bit helps.

I see slightly higher temps with the cowl and HVAC in place. Once they are removed and your car is already warm you can see the amount of hot air escaping out the top of the bonnet. I drove the 135i without any HVAC or cowl for over 2 years.
__________________
JB4
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:37 AM   #69
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
I drove the 135i without any HVAC or cowl for over 2 years.
I recall that gaffa tape

Is there no way to retro fit M3 style vents?
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #70
pavo335
Banned
pavo335's Avatar
33
Rep
2,981
Posts

 
Drives: 3.5 wheeler
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: sydney

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
Engine bay temps will have a BIG impact on iat's
How is an A2W intercooler going to reduce engine bay temps though?

As far as I know A2W is just more efficient at lowering IATs
You might want to read joes post and the context again
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #71
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
You might want to read joes post and the context again
Don't get what you on about Pav
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 05:24 PM   #72
BMW86
Major General
Australia
138
Rep
8,958
Posts

 
Drives: 135i CLA45 AMG Ninja
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
Agree. Vented hoods will help the heat escape. Every bit helps.


I see slightly higher temps with the cowl and HVAC in place. Once they are removed and your car is already warm you can see the amount of hot air escaping out the top of the bonnet. I drove the 135i without any HVAC or cowl for over 2 years.
That's how I roll Edwin
__________________
BMW 135i N54
MERCEDES CLA45 AMG
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:19 PM   #73
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
37
Rep
2,225
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (2)

Isn't the HVAC filter there to filter the air coming into the AC? Does it make any difference to the smell etc with it off?

I guess it would be possible to run with the cowl off and HVAC on right?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #74
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
37
Rep
2,225
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (2)

But yeah, I might look at doing this mod along with getting some other stuff from BMS. Anyone want to share shipping once they have the thermostat back in stock?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #75
eriktufa
3r1k
eriktufa's Avatar
Australia
6
Rep
310
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 MY08 BMW E92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (0)

I'm in Perth but I don't mind
__________________
12.836 @ 109.75mph (Cobb - Accessport & VRSF DP)
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #76
sharkatron
First Lieutenant
Australia
3
Rep
397
Posts

 
Drives: `09 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

I've always wondered with good vents for our cars - how do you stop water getting into the engine bay? Or just don't drive when raining? :

I know e9x m3 has special covers/drains for their vents.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #77
froop
Colonel
froop's Avatar
Australia
37
Rep
2,225
Posts

 
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
I've always wondered with good vents for our cars - how do you stop water getting into the engine bay? Or just don't drive when raining? :

I know e9x m3 has special covers/drains for their vents.
I don't think it really matters if water gets into the engine bay unless you have open intakes. Obviously you wouldn't want water getting into the ECU compartment but as long as it's properly closed/sealed it should be fine.

Right? =
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #78
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Its most likely bullshit, but I read somewhere a while ago that bmw designed the direct injection engines to run on the hotter side to minimise carbon buildup.

Sounds like typical internet forum BS heresay.....

I have been monitoring my car for over a week now, highest oil temp I have seen is 115 Deg C in some traffic light GP style driving. Typically it sits at 105-110 when warmed up and doesn't budge from 110.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #79
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
Its most likely bullshit, but I read somewhere a while ago that bmw designed the direct injection engines to run on the hotter side to minimise carbon buildup.

Sounds like typical internet forum BS heresay.....

I have been monitoring my car for over a week now, highest oil temp I have seen is 115 Deg C in some traffic light GP style driving. Typically it sits at 105-110 when warmed up and doesn't budge from 110.
I think that messing with the thermostat is a bad idea. Car will take longer to warm up and cold engines get damaged! There seems to be this obsession that 120C is too hot, which it isn't. 120c is optimal for these cars as per BMW engineering.
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:51 AM   #80
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I think that messing with the thermostat is a bad idea. Car will take longer to warm up and cold engines get damaged! There seems to be this obsession that 120C is too hot, which it isn't. 120c is optimal for these cars as per BMW engineering.
I would have thought so also, yet Terry from BMS is no fool it would be nice to get a few comments from him though.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #81
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I would have thought so also, yet Terry from BMS is no fool it would be nice to get a few comments from him though.
I want my oil to heat ASAP
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #82
1911A145
Captain
1911A145's Avatar
10
Rep
773
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I think that messing with the thermostat is a bad idea. Car will take longer to warm up and cold engines get damaged! There seems to be this obsession that 120C is too hot, which it isn't. 120c is optimal for these cars as per BMW engineering.
"run flats" are also "optimal" by BMW as well.... what's your point? Just because something is "engineered by BMW", does not mean it is the end all be all. Many things have room for improvement.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #83
DR-JEKL
Lieutenant Colonel
32
Rep
1,954
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey 335i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Newcastle Ozstraylia

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I want my oil to heat ASAP
I would have thought the oil temp would still reach operating temp at the same rate from ambient, but the bms thermo would cause it to run slightly cooler once it reaches operating temp?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #84
Nugget
Major
Nugget's Avatar
19
Rep
1,495
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I think that messing with the thermostat is a bad idea. Car will take longer to warm up and cold engines get damaged! There seems to be this obsession that 120C is too hot, which it isn't. 120c is optimal for these cars as per BMW engineering.
This is my thinking as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #85
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
TimMc's Avatar
Australia
19
Rep
1,863
Posts

 
Drives: 135i SCT N54
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR-JEKL View Post
I would have thought the oil temp would still reach operating temp at the same rate from ambient...?
No. It will take longer to warm up as the oil is pumped through the cooler all the time the engine is running, instead of when the OEM thermostat opens at ~109 degrees. Similar theory for thermostat in the water cooling system. Radiator is only used when water reaches operating temp.
__________________
Driving - Man 135 (LeMans/Black). BMW Perf SW & SSK. Quaife LSD, KW V2s, Ground Control camber plates, M3 front Control Arms & SB, Helix IC, AR DPs, PROcede V5, ER CP, Forge DVs, BMS OCC, Setrab OC, P3 Gauge.
Riding - ZX14R Kwaka, Avanti Aggressor, Malvern Star Equipe, Mini Mal.
Proudly from the Shire.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 02:42 AM   #86
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
"run flats" are also "optimal" by BMW as well.... what's your point? Just because something is "engineered by BMW", does not mean it is the end all be all. Many things have room for improvement.
Well go for it then! Run cold oil
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:17 AM   #87
1911A145
Captain
1911A145's Avatar
10
Rep
773
Posts

 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Port Saint Lucie, FL

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Well go for it then! Run cold oil
I will! In fact... now that you mention it... I do every day. About 3-4 times a day. For about 10 minutes each time when the car is warming up!

I live in Florida. The only "cold oil" is on cold starts. As long as there is little to no load on an engine during warm up, there is an extremely, if not nearly 0% chance, of engine damage due to lack of lubrication from the viscosity of "cold oil".

I seriously doubt the fact that the oil taking an extra minute, or two, would have any adverse side effects on the engines longevity, or the performance. In fact, there is a reason oil has varying viscosity from cold start to full engine temp.

Oil has come a long way... and the fact that BMW "engineered" their cars, and oil, to last 15k miles between oil changes shows just how much variance and abuse the oil and motor can handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 03:48 AM   #88
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
81
Rep
6,247
Posts

 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
I will! In fact... now that you mention it... I do every day. About 3-4 times a day. For about 10 minutes each time when the car is warming up!

I live in Florida. The only "cold oil" is on cold starts. As long as there is little to no load on an engine during warm up, there is an extremely, if not nearly 0% chance, of engine damage due to lack of lubrication from the viscosity of "cold oil".

I seriously doubt the fact that the oil taking an extra minute, or two, would have any adverse side effects on the engines longevity, or the performance. In fact, there is a reason oil has varying viscosity from cold start to full engine temp.

Oil has come a long way... and the fact that BMW "engineered" their cars, and oil, to last 15k miles between oil changes shows just how much variance and abuse the oil and motor can handle.
Good for you

Not to sure what oil changes has to do with thermostats though

That's why BMW limit boost until 70c
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:35 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST