BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Stvee
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Remus race quad exhaust question

Does anyone here have the remus race exhaust? I'm trying to figure out how much louder this one is versus the stock axleback.

From what I can tell on youtube videos, Remus Street isn't any louder than stock. I'm tempted to go with Remus Race, but I don't want to get something super loud that will drone on the highway.

I would like something that is a good halfway point between stock and a muffler delete.

Does anyone have any experience with this exhaust?
__________________
2010 135i - 6MT | JB4 | DCI | AA Charge Pipe | AA BOV | Remus Quad Exhaust | Maddad Mid-pipes
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
c_ozanich
ENGINEER
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
499
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135i 6MT M-Pack
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Warren Ohio

iTrader: (0)

I'm not sure about Remus, I know I love my set-up.

It idles stock and only gets loud when WOT, perfect combo for hearing it when you want and not when you don't. Not trying to high-jack your thread, but this muffler mod was spot on

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963343
__________________
BMS n55 INTAKE | JB4 G5 ISO | AR DESIGN DP | BERKtech MID | CUSTOM PE MOD | ER FMIC & CP | BMS CDV | LM REPS in "Lollipop RED" | V12's | 35%-20% JOHNSON FILMS | LED SIGNALS | FLAT BLACK KIDNEYS | ST COILS | KERSCHER LIP
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Stvee
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

I've already done that, but I'm running stock everything else. It's slightly louder than it was, but tone changed more than anything.

Mostly, I'm just looking to switch to a quad exhaust and get a little more volume at the same time.
__________________
2010 135i - 6MT | JB4 | DCI | AA Charge Pipe | AA BOV | Remus Quad Exhaust | Maddad Mid-pipes
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
c_ozanich
ENGINEER
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
499
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135i 6MT M-Pack
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Warren Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
I've already done that, but I'm running stock everything else. It's slightly louder than it was, but tone changed more than anything.

Mostly, I'm just looking to switch to a quad exhaust and get a little more volume at the same time.
volume comes from larger piping, but the quad exhaust does add a real aggressive look to the rear end.
__________________
BMS n55 INTAKE | JB4 G5 ISO | AR DESIGN DP | BERKtech MID | CUSTOM PE MOD | ER FMIC & CP | BMS CDV | LM REPS in "Lollipop RED" | V12's | 35%-20% JOHNSON FILMS | LED SIGNALS | FLAT BLACK KIDNEYS | ST COILS | KERSCHER LIP
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Stvee
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
volume comes from larger piping, but the quad exhaust does add a real aggressive look to the rear end.
Actually, that barely changes the sound in my past experiences. Volume comes from changing the muffler design or removing mufflers/cats/etc.

I had a firebird that I changed the muffler on first. That made a huge difference with everything else being unchanged from stock. Later on, I added 3 inch piping the rest of the way back to where the headers merge. Made no difference at all in the sound.
__________________
2010 135i - 6MT | JB4 | DCI | AA Charge Pipe | AA BOV | Remus Quad Exhaust | Maddad Mid-pipes
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
c_ozanich
ENGINEER
c_ozanich's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
499
Posts

 
Drives: '11 135i 6MT M-Pack
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Warren Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
Actually, that barely changes the sound in my past experiences. Volume comes from changing the muffler design or removing mufflers/cats/etc.

I had a firebird that I changed the muffler on first. That made a huge difference with everything else being unchanged from stock. Later on, I added 3 inch piping the rest of the way back to where the headers merge. Made no difference at all in the sound.
I have a 4inch dp and berk mids (larger piping in both) and volume increased quite a bit...

As long as there's a good amount of back pressure maintaining high exhaust air velocity speeds, its going to get louder because of the volume of air the exhaust is releasing. The muffler suppresses the amount of air coming from the tips of the exhaust because of the channels/restrictor plates and fiberglass inside the main chamber. The muffler exhaust mod changes the "loudness" because its essentially a faux straight pipe going through the muffler, larger diameter pipe in there would produce a louder sound.

Either way, you'll be louder going with a race application as opposed to a street.
__________________
BMS n55 INTAKE | JB4 G5 ISO | AR DESIGN DP | BERKtech MID | CUSTOM PE MOD | ER FMIC & CP | BMS CDV | LM REPS in "Lollipop RED" | V12's | 35%-20% JOHNSON FILMS | LED SIGNALS | FLAT BLACK KIDNEYS | ST COILS | KERSCHER LIP
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Stvee
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
I have a 4inch dp and berk mids (larger piping in both) and volume increased quite a bit...

As long as there's a good amount of back pressure maintaining high exhaust air velocity speeds, its going to get louder because of the volume of air the exhaust is releasing. The muffler suppresses the amount of air coming from the tips of the exhaust because of the channels/restrictor plates and fiberglass inside the main chamber. The muffler exhaust mod changes the "loudness" because its essentially a faux straight pipe going through the muffler, larger diameter pipe in there would produce a louder sound.

Either way, you'll be louder going with a race application as opposed to a street.
I'd still say your volume increase has more to do with losing cats in your downpipes than pipe size.

Another example I have is when we changed the header on my friends 06 civic si. There was an increase in pipe diameter, but he got a header with a cat still. The exhaust tone and volume barely changed, if at all.
__________________
2010 135i - 6MT | JB4 | DCI | AA Charge Pipe | AA BOV | Remus Quad Exhaust | Maddad Mid-pipes
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
1ndonlySG
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
246
Posts

 
Drives: Space Grey / Coral
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (-2)

I've heard the sound is less than stock
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Stvee
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Harrisonburg, VA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ndonlySG View Post
I've heard the sound is less than stock
Are you talking about the street or race version? From what I can tell the street version does seem to be pretty quiet, but the race version is for sure louder than stock.
__________________
2010 135i - 6MT | JB4 | DCI | AA Charge Pipe | AA BOV | Remus Quad Exhaust | Maddad Mid-pipes
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST