BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
bmw13
Captain
 
bmw13's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

Air Intake - Best Option for a hot place like FL?

I wish BMW Performance would make a system for the 1M. Their closed CF air boxes have proved to be one of the best options on other vehicles in the past. I saw the GruppeM system but what is the pricing on that nor have seen any numbers on performance. I have a drop in filter now but my car wants more. I do NOT want a dual cone set up as I ran one on my 135i. The ambient temps in FL are not the best if you are running an open/ or dual cone set up. Don't believe me? Do 3 hard pulls and see how different your car feels that 4th pull when compared to the first. I am not a drag car guy, I am a corner guy, and have all my fun driving my car extremely hard. And I can not drive it as hard/consistent when running an open set up such as dual cones, bottom line. I had an opened mind and gave it a shot. That inconstancy is not why I buy BMW. It is common sense: yes, more air is good but not air that is extremely hot/ hotter than what the stock box takes in.

Has anyone seen what set up is on the BMW safety car? That car has been the model for my own vehicle and I would love to see what route they went for additional cooling aside from the $11,000 hood.
__________________
Follow my car/ life via Instagram @rdauito
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
bmw13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 3,704
iTrader: (13)

I would have to strongly suggest an fmic instead of an intake

The gains / benefits from that, specifically in terms if consistency are huge and far more substantial to whatever gains you see from an intake

Plus, i dont think anyone claims power gains from intakes on stock tunes
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
zayzay
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: bmw 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

i have an afe dual cone and it works just fine, but i also have a forge intercooler and i live in south florida. love the sound of the dual cone.
zayzay is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
fastauto
Captain
 
fastauto's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

run your stock intake. if you want, go for an upgraded IC instead.
fastauto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,442
iTrader: (0)

Good advice above.

Intake is insignificant -- pretty much a "vanity" mod.

An intercooler -- especially in your locale -- would make a big difference.

Neil
MDORPHN is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
bmw13
Captain
 
bmw13's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I would have to strongly suggest an fmic instead of an intake

The gains / benefits from that, specifically in terms if consistency are huge and far more substantial to whatever gains you see from an intake

Plus, i dont think anyone claims power gains from intakes on stock tunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
i have an afe dual cone and it works just fine, but i also have a forge intercooler and i live in south florida. love the sound of the dual cone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastauto View Post
run your stock intake. if you want, go for an upgraded IC instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Good advice above.

Intake is insignificant -- pretty much a "vanity" mod.

An intercooler -- especially in your locale -- would make a big difference.

Neil
Thanks all of you! I have learned a little from each. I am actually planning on keeping the stock air box now, it just has the best design IHMO and I also plan on putting my stock filter back in. What FMIC is recommended? Any idea what set up is on the MotoGP safety car? What ever BMW did to that car, I am willing to do to my own!
__________________
Follow my car/ life via Instagram @rdauito
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
bmw13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
MDORPHN
Colonel
 
Drives: AW 1M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wash, DC

Posts: 2,442
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Thanks all of you! I have learned a little from each. I am actually planning on keeping the stock air box now, it just has the best design IHMO and I also plan on putting my stock filter back in. What FMIC is recommended? Any idea what set up is on the MotoGP safety car? What ever BMW did to that car, I am willing to do to my own!
Do a search here.. Loads of info!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58

Neil
MDORPHN is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 3,704
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
Thanks all of you! I have learned a little from each. I am actually planning on keeping the stock air box now, it just has the best design IHMO and I also plan on putting my stock filter back in. What FMIC is recommended? Any idea what set up is on the MotoGP safety car? What ever BMW did to that car, I am willing to do to my own!
i would HIGHLY recommend ETS

benefits

-spot on fitment (belive me, this is an issue for almost ALL FMIC on the 1M)
-includes new lower FMIC piping (smoother flow, tighter connections for less chance for a leak)
-uses factory C clip with perfect fitment
-efficient core
-doesnt block OEM radiator like larger FMIC do
-NO CUTTING needed
-perfect for stock or moderate tune levels (possibly not adequate for high powered setups with upgraded turbos, e85 tunes etc)
-excellent price point
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
zayzay
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: bmw 1M
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

go with the forge intercooler. best made in terms of quality. this intercooler was tested on a 1m.
zayzay is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #10
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
 
E30 Racer's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio

Posts: 285
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers

i would HIGHLY recommend ETS

-uses factory C clip with perfect fitment
The ETS FMIC plumbing does not use the factory c-clips.
E30 Racer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
 
Drives: .....
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Gulf Coast

Posts: 3,704
iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
The ETS FMIC plumbing does not use the factory c-clips.
Really?

Thought it used extra plumbing only on the hot side?

Been a long time since I installed one on my 335, I am sure you are right

Thanks for clearing that up
KennyPowers is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Dackelone
Moderator
 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

Posts: 15,770
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Good advice above.

Intake is insignificant -- pretty much a "vanity" mod.

An intercooler -- especially in your locale -- would make a big difference.

Neil

+1. Could not have said any better myself.


Also... you might want to look into upgrading to the 1M/135is/335is/PPK2 radiator fan. It's a HD radiator fan that will cool down the engine better than the stock fan.

The only real HP gaining intake would be the Mr.5 intake mod. Its alot like what DINAN has done or even Alpina. GroupeM(Sp?) is also a nice one. But its pricey at $2k to $4K depending on who you buy it from.
Dackelone is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
 
crystaweizen's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
could see a temp benefit of a couple degrees by switching to a 0w40 if you havent already
crystaweizen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
crystaweizen
Second Lieutenant
 
crystaweizen's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White '08 135i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington

Posts: 220
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [5.00]
or are we talking about IATs
crystaweizen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #15
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,919
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
I wish BMW Performance would make a system for the 1M. Their closed CF air boxes have proved to be one of the best options on other vehicles in the past. I saw the GruppeM system but what is the pricing on that nor have seen any numbers on performance. I have a drop in filter now but my car wants more. I do NOT want a dual cone set up as I ran one on my 135i. The ambient temps in FL are not the best if you are running an open/ or dual cone set up. Don't believe me? Do 3 hard pulls and see how different your car feels that 4th pull when compared to the first. I am not a drag car guy, I am a corner guy, and have all my fun driving my car extremely hard. And I can not drive it as hard/consistent when running an open set up such as dual cones, bottom line. I had an opened mind and gave it a shot. That inconstancy is not why I buy BMW. It is common sense: yes, more air is good but not air that is extremely hot/ hotter than what the stock box takes in.

Has anyone seen what set up is on the BMW safety car? That car has been the model for my own vehicle and I would love to see what route they went for additional cooling aside from the $11,000 hood.
If you are on stock tune, a drop in air filter will do. Stage 1 and above you should add a sealed intake.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #16
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
 
1swift1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern California

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If you are on stock tune, a drop in air filter will do. Stage 1 and above you should add a sealed intake.
Anyone have dyno numbers comparing stock vs a drop in air filter? Any recs for a better air filter than stock that won't end up getting oil all over the MAF?
1swift1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #17
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift1 View Post
Anyone have dyno numbers comparing stock vs a drop in air filter? Any recs for a better air filter than stock that won't end up getting oil all over the MAF?
I am using the aFe Pro Dry S drop in filter that I bought from HP Autowerks. I did not make a dyno after that because at the same time with filter I also had ER charge pipe so I am not 100 % certain that any possible difference between before&after dynos will solely reflect the effect of the filter.

Impressions: None or negligible difference in hp/tq. I do feel the car hits the high revs more willingly but it might be a combination of other factors too (exhaust broken in etc.). There is no sound change and no oil to worry about since it is a dry filter, I keep on checking it and am pretty sure doing its "filtering" job properly as well.

So overall, my car with existing technical mods (check sig) feel like there is no lag to talk about, really good throttle response even in non-M mode, eager at high revs and overall more pleasant and slightly quicker compared to all stock. As I said it is a combined effect of following mods: better/grippier PSS tires, modified CDV, aFe filter, ER charge pipe, N55 mids and Evolve Race rear exhaust. Other than the exhaust sound it still feels like the stock car just better in everything.

I can't single out the air filter and say what it literally added, but definitely it did not add anything negative and probably helped a bit. Does it worth the cost is another question that you should answer yourself, for me everything worths if I feel a stock component is not a perfect fit to the rest of the car.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      02-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #18
1swift1
I pass gas for a living.
 
1swift1's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 VO 1M
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern California

Posts: 84
iTrader: (0)

Cool. Thanks for impressions. I might try that filter!
1swift1 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #19
bmw13
Captain
 
bmw13's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M - GIAC:S2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Boca Raton, FL

Posts: 680
iTrader: (0)

Thanks Harold and ozinaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
If you are on stock tune, a drop in air filter will do. Stage 1 and above you should add a sealed intake.
I have a BMS Drop In Filter, and feel that it is definitely better than the stock paper filter. I just installed my new AFE Dry Drop In Filter from HPA and love it! As others describe as a subtle difference, all I can say is I feel like the car likes this filter better than both the BMS drop in filter and stock paper filter. I assume it has to do something with the lack of oil but increased flow over stock paper. I feel as if it optimizes maximum airflow on the stock box/ and tune. It feels a tad bit stronger and smoother when compared to before.
__________________
Follow my car/ life via Instagram @rdauito
2011 E82 1M #215 of 740
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877009
bmw13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #20
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
 
ozinaldo's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chile, Santiago

Posts: 3,031
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw13 View Post
I have a BMS Drop In Filter, and feel that it is definitely better than the stock paper filter. I just installed my new AFE Dry Drop In Filter from HPA and love it! As others describe as a subtle difference, all I can say is I feel like the car likes this filter better than both the BMS drop in filter and stock paper filter. I assume it has to do something with the lack of oil but increased flow over stock paper. I feel as if it optimizes maximum airflow on the stock box/ and tune. It feels a tad bit stronger and smoother when compared to before.
Good to hear man. I am pretty sure that the car feels less restricted at the top end of the revs and when the speeds go triple digit miles with this dry filter. Good enough for me.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
2012 BMW 1M: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
ozinaldo is offline   Chile
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: E82 1M
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Posts: 10,919
iTrader: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1swift1 View Post
Anyone have dyno numbers comparing stock vs a drop in air filter? Any recs for a better air filter than stock that won't end up getting oil all over the MAF?
There is no MAF on the 1M.
HP Autosport is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST