BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
27

 
Bavarian54bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal , Canada


Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Is The OEM Performance Exhaust Considered an Upgrade ??

Sup Guys!

Title might be not clear enough, what am wondering is :

Is the OEM Perf Exhaust considered an upgrade that will suit let's say a COBB Aggressive map that requires an upgraded Cat back or do we necessarily need to go to the aftermarket in order to use these maps requiring an Exhaust upgrade ??


Thank you
__________________
2008 135i Alpine White 6MT/ BMW SSK / top HiFi logic 7 / Red Boston / Michelin PSS / PPK1 / OE Perf Discs with Cool Carbon /CDV Delete .
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Basheezy
Bashar
United_States
14

 
Basheezy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA


Posts: 775
iTrader: (2)

An axle back won't make any noticeable difference in term of performance on this car. It is an upgrade in terms of sound though
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
ilikebmxbikes
Colonel
63

 
ilikebmxbikes's Avatar
 
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 2,986
iTrader: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
An axle back won't make any noticeable difference in term of performance on this car. It is an upgrade in terms of sound though
+1
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #4
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
Germany
71

 
Elsabor67's Avatar
 
Drives: La Jeva ;-)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuttgart, Ge :-)


Posts: 2,622
iTrader: (25)

Garage List
2009 135i  [5.00]
True. Unless you do some modifications closer to the turbo's like catless mids or better catted or uncatted DP's, a axleback won't do anything except a better sound. And even that sometimes is suspect.
__________________

Quote from Ezeedee regarding car mods:
"you're only done when you sell the car "
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
81

 
Harlequin's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member


Posts: 3,490
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I think what the OP is asking is:

"When a tune, like the Cobb Agressive Map, SPECIFIES an upgraded Cat-Back Exhaust as a requirement, does the BMWP Exhaust qualify?"

He wasn't asking if its a good upgrade or if it adds any power... He was asking if he can use the Cobb Agressive Map with the BMWP Exhaust...

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but at least I read the question...
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
Germany
71

 
Elsabor67's Avatar
 
Drives: La Jeva ;-)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Stuttgart, Ge :-)


Posts: 2,622
iTrader: (25)

Garage List
2009 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I think what the OP is asking is:

"When a tune, like the Cobb Agressive Map, SPECIFIES an upgraded Cat-Back Exhaust as a requirement, does the BMWP Exhaust qualify?"

He wasn't asking if its a good upgrade or if it adds any power... He was asking if he can use the Cobb Agressive Map with the BMWP Exhaust...

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but at least I read the question...
Good catch. Then I read wrong.

To me, I don't feel that the BMWP Exhaust would qualify as one. The way I see it all you are doing is eliminating the resonator, which is a straight through anyways with the y-pipe they supply and the sort of same exhaust-minus the integrated flapper. Maybe the BMWP Exhaust is baffled differently, I honestly don't know. But when you compare it to other aftermarket exhausts out there, the BMWP looks more factory than the others.

But if you plan on running any "Agressive" map, why not look at upgrading everything on the exhaust section (Dp's/Mids/Exhaust) instead of just doing the muffler? That would make more sense.
__________________

Quote from Ezeedee regarding car mods:
"you're only done when you sell the car "
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
81

 
Harlequin's Avatar
 
Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brisbane, Australia BMW Club QLD Member


Posts: 3,490
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
I'm a bit on the fence on this one... BMW say that the Performance Exhaust is more "free-flowing" than the standard one and claim about 5hp/3tq in their description so I think it probably is baffled differently/less.

BMW Performance Exhaust

Mine definitely has more noise and my butt dyno says its breathing a little better. That could be my imagination though.

Having said that, we all know that the Cats in the DPs are the biggest restrictor so my guess would be that that would be a more important factor...
__________________

Last edited by Harlequin; 03-02-2013 at 06:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
GeeRam
Captain
United Kingdom
15

 
GeeRam's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London,UK


Posts: 900
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I'm a bit on the fence on this one... BMW say that the Performance Exhaust is more "free-flowing" than the standard one and claim about 5hp/3tq in their description so I think it probably is baffled differently/less.

BMW Performance Exhaust
Yup, it is internally very different to stock from what I understand.
__________________
2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ Bluewater:Coral Red | BMWP CF spoiler & BMWPE | Birds B1 suspension | Forge FMIC | Hartge footrest | Alufelgen CS7 & Pirelli P Zero

2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim ~ lots of mods
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #9
Rockstar1487
Alonne Captain
United_States
6

 
Rockstar1487's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central, New Jersey


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian54bimmer View Post
Sup Guys!

Title might be not clear enough, what am wondering is :

Is the OEM Perf Exhaust considered an upgrade that will suit let's say a COBB Aggressive map that requires an upgraded Cat back or do we necessarily need to go to the aftermarket in order to use these maps requiring an Exhaust upgrade ??


Thank you
I have it on my car and like others are saying it is a bit more free flowing. all it does is delete the res on the factory mid pipes and it has a larger piping. if you were to get the n55 mids with this exhaust then yeah i think it will be perfect for the cobb aggressive mapping. i have the cobb also and i am running the 93 octane map and that is more than enough power. i do have an intake snugged in their. but unless you get upgraded dps and then a full cat exhaust you def won't be able to run the stage 2 or stage 2 + mapping.

run the 93 octane for now until you get more mods.
__________________
Was ist die fragen?
Hey Frau Hey!
Geck! Wo ist mein Auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
27

 
Bavarian54bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal , Canada


Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I think what the OP is asking is:

"When a tune, like the Cobb Agressive Map, SPECIFIES an upgraded Cat-Back Exhaust as a requirement, does the BMWP Exhaust qualify?"

He wasn't asking if its a good upgrade or if it adds any power... He was asking if he can use the Cobb Agressive Map with the BMWP Exhaust...

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but at least I read the question...
+1
__________________
2008 135i Alpine White 6MT/ BMW SSK / top HiFi logic 7 / Red Boston / Michelin PSS / PPK1 / OE Perf Discs with Cool Carbon /CDV Delete .
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
82

 
Cozy's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England


Posts: 1,491
iTrader: (0)

Yes you can use the BMWPE with Stage 1 Aggressive without any problems but, it is recommended to delete the factory mid-cats to get the best from the tune.

I used Stage 1 Aggressive with stock exhaust - all good, very fast but sounded quite tame and perhaps a little choked up top. I then used it with PE which definitely made it feel more pokey down low and more free up top; more power up there. I then fitted N55 mids and the tune is at the best it has ever been. It's seriously aggressive sounding and there's power all over, nice and smooth. I hear that Stage 1+ FMIC is that plus more.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #12
Rockstar1487
Alonne Captain
United_States
6

 
Rockstar1487's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central, New Jersey


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
Yes you can use the BMWPE with Stage 1 Aggressive without any problems but, it is recommended to delete the factory mid-cats to get the best from the tune.

I used Stage 1 Aggressive with stock exhaust - all good, very fast but sounded quite tame and perhaps a little choked up top. I then used it with PE which definitely made it feel more pokey down low and more free up top; more power up there. I then fitted N55 mids and the tune is at the best it has ever been. It's seriously aggressive sounding and there's power all over, nice and smooth. I hear that Stage 1+ FMIC is that plus more.
+1

Im ordering my mids on monday cozy! Can't wait to hear it in person
__________________
Was ist die fragen?
Hey Frau Hey!
Geck! Wo ist mein Auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
27

 
Bavarian54bimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 2008 135i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal , Canada


Posts: 216
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
Yes you can use the BMWPE with Stage 1 Aggressive without any problems but, it is recommended to delete the factory mid-cats to get the best from the tune.

I used Stage 1 Aggressive with stock exhaust - all good, very fast but sounded quite tame and perhaps a little choked up top. I then used it with PE which definitely made it feel more pokey down low and more free up top; more power up there. I then fitted N55 mids and the tune is at the best it has ever been. It's seriously aggressive sounding and there's power all over, nice and smooth. I hear that Stage 1+ FMIC is that plus more.
I really like this review sir, this is Exactly what am considering , so as per say the N55 Mids are more Flowing than our N54 , Am I right?

thanks
__________________
2008 135i Alpine White 6MT/ BMW SSK / top HiFi logic 7 / Red Boston / Michelin PSS / PPK1 / OE Perf Discs with Cool Carbon /CDV Delete .
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 04:45 AM   #14
Dackelone
Moderator
Germany
865

 
Dackelone's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany


Posts: 16,559
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian54bimmer View Post
I really like this review sir, this is Exactly what am considering , so as per say the N55 Mids are more Flowing than our N54 , Am I right?

thanks

Yes, that is correct. Plus it sounds awesome at WOT!!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
82

 
Cozy's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England


Posts: 1,491
iTrader: (0)

I regretted using the resonator delete when I first fitted the N55 mids as it was THAT loud at times but I've been making an effort to put some miles on it and it sounds beautiful now. I am due to make another sound clip, weather dependant this weekend . I cannot wait until ther Spring or Summer when I can go WOT with the windows down.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
Rockstar1487
Alonne Captain
United_States
6

 
Rockstar1487's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 135i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Central, New Jersey


Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy
I regretted using the resonator delete when I first fitted the N55 mids as it was THAT loud at times but I've been making an effort to put some miles on it and it sounds beautiful now. I am due to make another sound clip, weather dependant this weekend . I cannot wait until ther Spring or Summer when I can go WOT with the windows down.
Cant wait to hear the new clip cozy!!
__________________
Was ist die fragen?
Hey Frau Hey!
Geck! Wo ist mein Auto?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:01 PM   #17
RimasRS
Colonel
52

 
RimasRS's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i MT 2009 AW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Europe


Posts: 2,397
iTrader: (0)

NOTE Cobb suggests cat back for 135i on any map not requires. So yes for better breathing PE will do its job....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
82

 
Cozy's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England


Posts: 1,491
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar1487 View Post
Cant wait to hear the new clip cozy!!
It's good . Last time we spoke I was telling you I wanted it quieter but I'd not trade it now, beautiful sound and mega pops and crackles.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
24

 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA


Posts: 2,253
iTrader: (0)

There is a thread around where they cut one open. It has no packing & a different baffling setup. Pretty much straight through.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
Cobra Coyote First Start.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST