BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #45
Pete_vB
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: '69 GT3, 1M, 912, R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
And if you are more concerned with 10lbs at the front end than high iat and related detonation, well, we will have to agree to disagree
BMW has multiple layers to protect the motor- overboost function is disabled, timing pulled out based on on temperatures, etc. You're kidding yourself if you're justifying your purchase based on some imagined improvement in durability. Dump 100 into it at the track and you'll be far better off.

Porsche charges 3k to remove 20 lbs from the nose of their cars with a Lithium battery. BMW probably spent that to more than that to remove 1/2 that weight from the roof of the M3. You only paid a grand to add that same amount of weight in the wrong place on the car. Sounds like a deal.

With road course use in hotter weather an intercooler may be justified, but it does come with a price other than the dollar value, and like everything else that goes into a car weight should be considered in the equation.
      02-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #46
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: .....

Timing pulls occur as a result of pre detonation / detonation events. Data logs all over the forum show that.

Porsche also charges 3k for custom color seatbelts among other things.

Agree to disagree. I consider smoothing the engines response out more important than adding 10 lbs in the front of a 3300 lb car.

I also like not throwing codes or going into limp mode on the track.

Jmo
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #47
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_vB View Post
BMW has multiple layers to protect the motor- overboost function is disabled, timing pulled out based on on temperatures, etc. You're kidding yourself if you're justifying your purchase based on some imagined improvement in durability. Dump 100 into it at the track and you'll be far better off.

Porsche charges 3k to remove 20 lbs from the nose of their cars with a Lithium battery. BMW probably spent that to more than that to remove 1/2 that weight from the roof of the M3. You only paid a grand to add that same amount of weight in the wrong place on the car. Sounds like a deal.

With road course use in hotter weather an intercooler may be justified, but it does come with a price other than the dollar value, and like everything else that goes into a car weight should be considered in the equation.
I agree. It is like spending a few thousand to an exhaust and then instead of saying that you love the sound or it looks cooler etc. which are the real (and enough) reasons, you go and justify it to yourself and others by saying that it is how much lighter than the stock muffler. I mean in a car which has registered issues at the rear with lack of sufficient down force and apparent lift at high speeds, we go and take out the weight from right there with joy and pride. Bad? Don't know really, just doesn't sound "ideal" to me and I did the same myself, my exhaust is lighter than stock. Do I notice it? Not really. But I am not justifying my exhaust purchase by saying that it shaved a lot of weight which is very important etc. It sounds good, feels good, looks good, cures the drone, puts more hp and tq but shaves the weight from the very wrong place.

I agree everything goes in comes with a price and it is never all pretty; well maybe with the shitty stock mids, anything else is perfect.

Let's go back to topic fellows, for people who need to buy an aftermarket IC which is the best one and why so. I know I will go with ETS when I need to add one, since it seems to come with least burden and thanks to everyone who confirmed this impression I had.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #48
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I agree. It is like spending a few thousand to an exhaust and then instead of saying that you love the sound or it looks cooler etc. which are the real (and enough) reasons, you go and justify it to yourself and others by saying that it is how much lighter than the stock muffler. I mean in a car which has registered issues at the rear with lack of sufficient down force and apparent lift at high speeds, we go and take out the weight from right there with joy and pride. Bad? Don't know really, just doesn't sound "ideal" to me and I did the same myself, my exhaust is lighter than stock. Do I notice it? Not really. But I am not justifying my exhaust purchase by saying that it shaved a lot of weight which is very important etc. It sounds good, feels good, looks good, cures the drone, puts more hp and tq but shaves the weight from the very wrong place.

I agree everything goes in comes with a price and it is never all pretty; well maybe with the shitty stock mids, anything else is perfect.

Let's go back to topic fellows, for people who need to buy an aftermarket IC which is the best one and why so. I know I will go with ETS when I need to add one, since it seems to come with least burden and thanks to everyone who confirmed this impression I had.
Well I put on a Remus muffler which is a few lbs heavier than stock, so this should counter the heavier FMIC in the front
      02-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #49
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Well I put on a Remus muffler which is a few lbs heavier than stock, so this should counter the heavier FMIC in the front
Should be proud of yourself, you are a wise man. After all those mods your car still retains the factory equilibrium
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #50
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Least burden does not necessarily mean the IC is the best overall, just that the install is non-invasive. I wish someone would simply provide some compelling evidence that the ETS IC effectively and consistently reduces intake air temperature under high boost applications (18+ psi). I have yet to see this, just a bunch of guys recycling Internet "knowledge." Seriously guys, lets see some real data! If the 5" ETS IC was all that, why would they offer a 7" version?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 08:09 PM   #51
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
Least burden does not necessarily mean the IC is the best overall, just that the install is non-invasive. I wish someone would simply provide some compelling evidence that the ETS IC effectively and consistently reduces intake air temperature under high boost applications (18+ psi). I have yet to see this, just a bunch of guys recycling Internet "knowledge." Seriously guys, lets see some real data! If the 5" ETS IC was all that, why would they offer a 7" version?
True. As I said I haven't dyno'd since ETS. The P3 does show lower IAT's though. With the stock IC at the track the P3 showed temps up to 57 deg C, while ETS max I have seen is 45 deg C...furthermore the latter is in summer, while former was in winter
      02-27-2013, 10:01 PM   #52
E30 Racer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: '11 1M, '99 540i/6, '89 325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
With the stock IC at the track the P3 showed temps up to 57 deg C, while ETS max I have seen is 45 deg C...furthermore the latter is in summer, while former was in winter
What was the ambient air temperature during your summer track day? 45C is 113F, which is still pretty warm. Wonder what it would have been with a larger FMIC such as ER, HPF, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30 Racer View Post
What was the ambient air temperature during your summer track day? 45C is 113F, which is still pretty warm. Wonder what it would have been with a larger FMIC such as ER, HPF, etc.
Was around 28C ambient in summer. Winter was more like 18C.

I don't know much about IC design, but read that the larger core will have lower temps, but more pressure drop.

The IATs climb most in slow traffic etc when car has little airflow. Pity no air-to-water IC's.
      02-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #54
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zayzay View Post
still, why is the forge intercooler so damn expensive compared to others with the same performance? must be a reason.
Don't be fooled into believing the more you pay the better something is. Sure Forge is a good product, but the others are just as good and cheaper.
      02-28-2013, 12:05 AM   #55
KennyPowers
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: .....

Requested data logs / thread comparing ets fmic to oem fmic

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=637380

Impressive
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #56
Ian///M
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Requested data logs / thread comparing ets fmic to oem fmic

[intlink]637380;ETS 5" FMIC ll Review..w/ IAT's[/intlink]

Impressive
+1 great value
      02-28-2013, 07:42 AM   #57
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddylo View Post
Don't be fooled into believing the more you pay the better something is. Sure Forge is a good product, but the others are just as good and cheaper.
Also, don't forget that Forge was not THAT expensive in the beginning. Initial price, a year ago, according to my notes were 920 USD. Still more expensive than some but pretty lower than what they ask for now, isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #58
octainejunkee
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: black 2012 1m 454/530 BHP/LBFT

Spec R intercooler and custom hard pipe kit helped my car make 456/530 lbft with supporting mods with 23 degrees intake temp 12 degrees ambient.
It all fits perfectly and looks oem to the untrained eye..
Spec R used my car as a demo and as far as im aware will only make more once deposits for batch's of ten have been secured..
My build thread will be along shortly with step by step pics to show the work that has gone into making what i believe to be the ultimate "MUST HAVE" mod for the 1M..

Cheers Jamie

Last edited by octainejunkee; 02-28-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:03 PM   #59
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
+51 F over ambient isn't very impressive.
      02-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #60
m3dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: CSL M3 / 1M AW

Send a message via AIM to m3dragon
AA sport is not on the list. I have one just have to install it this weekend after it has been sitting for months.

NorCal drive organizer guy
NorCal CSL build thread - US to CSL Conversion
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #61
Newby
1Mtech
Rep

Drives: BMW

PWR.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #62
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The Evolve FMIC is the best that I have seen. Very light weight and stepped design, but around $1900
What you said back then was in my mind since sometime: Imran from Evolve was kind enough to check for me the weight of their FMIC against the stock: 6.6 kg. for Evolve, 3 kg. for OEM he reports.

Evolve seems to be really very light, maybe lightest, for an aftermarket unit. Stock is, well, plume!

Also, there is something wrong with that price you quote above, my bet you were remembering IC+Evolve R cable (tune) package price Or could it be the Aussie price?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 07:21 AM   #63
zayzay
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: bmw 1M

i spoke to evolve and the price the quoted me was $1300
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #64
mfcsw
Rep

Drives: bmw1m coupe

I put the forge on my 1m very pleased with the power gain 432 as it stands now , perfect fit with no cutting of any parts and a very good build quality would definitely recommend it to other 1m owners
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #65
Em/1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2004 Jaguar XJ8  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
2011 VW GTI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfcsw View Post
I put the forge on my 1m very pleased with the power gain 432 as it stands now , perfect fit with no cutting of any parts and a very good build quality would definitely recommend it to other 1m owners
What tune and other bolt-ons did you use for this and did you have a baseline to measure a difference in hp?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #66
mfcsw
Rep

Drives: bmw1m coupe

unfortunately I didn't get a pre install dyno run done just because of the time scale I had on the day , other mods are macht snell scoops (you can tell a little quicker throttle response but don't think they give any hp gain) kn filter ( blown through as to not get mass air oil build up) and tuned by dms . Very happy with the power gains and delivery . Iam looking into swapping out the 4 cats but as yet not found much info on the best way to go and still be able to pass an mot with ease
Appreciate 0