BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

The Great American Roadtrip – 1M Style! WARNING: Very Picture Heavy – LONG LOAD TIME

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So a few months ago I had solicited some ideas on a road trip during a free week I had in October. The thread can be found here. Originally I had planned to drive up the East Coast to the Vermont/New Hampshire area to do some leaf peeping and driving around the country back roads. But then there was a mention of US 129 and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The rest as they say was history.

After 69 driving hours, 3362 miles, 8 states and 2 countries, below are the results…

Getting a good night’s rest before the big trip! She looks like an angel when she’s asleep, lol.

And the clock starts! Left Sunday afternoon for Atlanta as a pit stop before heading up the Dragon. b33g33 you should have been there!

A quick face shot before getting really dirty. So fresh and so clean! The PPF was a very good idea.

Got up early to head out and the forecast wasn’t looking too pleasant for shenanigans at the tail. Checking the weather map, it looked like things would be cloudy but no falling precipitation. Yeah, ok. Oh and by the by, traffic heading into Atlanta on a Monday even at 5 in the morning. Ridiculous. Seriously, just ridiculous.

Getting closer to the Tennessee/North Carolina boarder. Wooded two lane roads FTW. The rain started to let up.

A scenic turnout! Checking out some info on William Bartram and his trail.

The Great Smokey Mountains! Smokey.

The Cheoah Dam, aka The Fugitive Dam. It’s the dam that Harrison Ford leapt from in that one movie… what was the name of it again…

A close up shot of the dam. Not as awesome as the Hoover Dam or that one damming the Yangtze, but pretty cool nonetheless.

Yes. Now that’s more like it. Need more signs like that.

Finally made it to the Tail. I can feel the excitement starting to rise…

At the front gates to the infamous Tail! It was still pretty cloudy and the roadway was still wet and covered with random smattering of wet leaves. Not the most ideal conditions, but I was there and determine to experience one of the greatest roadways in the world. And, since it was a regular Monday (i.e., everyone else at work and no weekend or holiday fanboys) I pretty much had the run of the road to myself for a few trial turns.

Yeah, she was rearing to go.

At this point I had just finished my first run. At a turn out close to the end of the 11 mile stretch overlooking the dam. Oh holy cheese fries what a road. I mean, just unbelievable. Who in their right mind would have thought the speed limit through there should have been 55 mph? I had no idea what to expect so I basically kept in third the entire way. And that was good enough for runs one through three

Some scenery while catching my breath… OMG, OMG, OMG this stretch of road is amazing!
A 1M + US129 at Deal’s Gap = Cookie Monster in Keebler’s house unbridled JOY!

To give you guys an idea of the road, props to Chris Jackson for posting a video of his 1M Dragon Run which can be seen here on Vimeo

It does look like a Dragon’s Tail. And just as dangerous.

Yeah, the Tree of Shame. I had no intentions of adding any bits of Emma to that tree.

Here be dragons.

Slain!

Ok, so my original plan was to do a couple of runs on the Dragon and be on my merry way. I still had the entirety of the Blue Ridge Parkway to get to! But that stretch of road was just too amazing. Two hours since arriving I was still going back and forth on the road. Even getting a bit more adventurous, I began playing with shifting gears, just 2 and 3 through the turns and the very limited straights. The sun even began to peak out of the clouds at some point. Oh it was a glorious day. Then, I met a group of guys on a pilgrimage from Michigan that were spending three days in the area just to drive the roads with the Tail a major focus. So I hooked up with them for more runs! A Cobalt SS, a Subaru’d Saab Nine two wagon, and JCW race prepped Mini. I will say this road definitely favors the lighter cars, by a long shot. The 1M power kept it fun, but to extract maximum enjoyment of the Gs on this road, you’ll need a lightweight handling machine. There were a lot of smoking brakes when we were done. But Emma flawlessly maintained her composure.

Six hours later I finally pulled myself away from the crazy fun and started on the Parkway. Way past when I had expected to start.

Starting raining again. Yes, I was sad to leave too.

Mile 0 or 469 depending on which way you’re going.

More of those famous Smokey Mountains! But at this point, it was getting dark and the clouds/rain was really starting to roll in.

Tunnels! They are pretty cool.

Inside the fog and darkness.

Could be ghosts in here.

So I didn’t not account for the crazy wind and rain storm that rolled through the North Carolina part of the BRP. Also the very curvy part of the parkway. After a couple of hours of highly tense driving on a very curvy mountain road in the dark with zero visibility, heavy wind and rain I was one tired puppy. I treated myself to a night in Asheville at the Grand Bohemian. Hunting Lodge chic?

Literally passed out as soon as I hit the pillows.

Getting up early to head out, some other hotel shots. It’s a nice place.

I’d recommend it if you’re in Asheville for vacation. Also, Sherry at the local Bank of America is really nice. Everyone in Asheville was really nice. I think I’d like to go back and visit.

Yes, prepared for more road tripping.

At the Blue Ridge Parkway Visitors Center.

Yep, went inside to learn more about this fantastic roadway.

My sentiments exactly.

More driving on the Parkway. Still fairly cloudy but much, much better than the previous day.

Some very nice look outs. It’s no Stelvio Pass, but hey you take what you can get. ;-p

Driving into the clouds.

A nice turn out.

A rare shot of the driver in the wild.

You think of clouds as being fluffy and soft. Nope. They’re dreary and wet on the inside.

Have the Langoliers been here?

Almost 0 percent visibility. Good for sightseeing, lol.

Oh, but there are some peeks into the Valley.

The classic open road shot, yeah?

A modern take?

Hey a break in the clouds! Highly recommended doing the drive with fewer clouds.

Some views from the cabin. Nothing like driving along the ridge.

Look, a 1M in the wild!

We like to see roads do this.

We’re headed North! Wait… South! No, North!

So. Much. Fun.

Starting to head back into the clouds.

She’s starting to get a little dirty. But still looks good.

Got watch for those dangerous curves off the side of a mountain.

Blowing through the leaves.

Scene from the a Zombie Apocalypse?

That great open road!

Oh, some baby waterfalls!

Just so you know, watch out for motorcyclists flying over rainbows.

Small, rocky falls.

It’s starting to get real again.

I call this one, Fall in the Fog

This one? Beast in the Mist.

Oh, but it’s really a beauty in the mist.

Fading Colors

She’s coming to life again.

My Ansel Adams tribute

Some old timey fences

It just looked so lonely, I took a picture.

Working on the two tone paint scheme. White and road dust.

Valley of the Clouds.

Yes, more of those roads please.

A moment of reflection

Looks so good on the road

Quite a few admirers out on the road. Thankfully, the kept off the road. End of another day.

Starting another day, still on the BRP.

Not the best to start out the day with a casualty. Poor guy didn’t have enough time get off the road.

Heading further north

You know, going up on the map.

A lake of clouds!

Yep, just confirming. Two days and I’m still on the Parkway.

So had a bright idea, let’s take a short cut to get to the Natural Bridge.

Yeah, so let’s do a little tracking. That’s what street performance cars are wont to do. Okay, so maybe not the right track.

What could go wrong here?

So far, so good!

You know, just driving down the side of a mountain. No biggie.

Yes, made it in one piece! The wonder that is the Natural Bridge. Or at least the sign for it.

Like whoa. It’s a natural bridge.

Back on normal roads! Headed back over to the Blue Ridge Parkway after the slight off mountain detour.

Ok, had to memorialize this. So if you want a roadway that is similar to the dragon except you can go much, much faster? This State Road (SR 501 South) in Virginia is amazing. About an eight mile stretch, but an amazing run could be had and it was a thing of beauty to have the 1M chew up this road like a champ. Should have had a Go Pro.

Um, chicanes or esses? Doesn’t matter. It’s on the ridge of a mountain and sick, crazy fun. I made a few runs, yes.

Finally hit mile 0 of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Again, it’s a great road to travel. For the most part, the road is non-stop and best enjoyed at a leisurely pace. The speed limit is 45 mph throughout and best at that speed to really take in the sights. But admittedly there are some sections that just make you feel the need, the need for speed.

On to another mountain drive!

The curves, they just feel so good!

Catching my breath and having it taken away. The Shenandoah Valley, behold.

Yeah, that’s right. Flying over the valley.

Can you ever have enough curves? No, I don’t think so.

I think she’s winking at me on the Skyline.

Yes, hiking the Appalachian Trial. 1M Style.

Sunset in the Valley

Then the monsters come out at night. These little bastards just creeped into every crevice they could find. It was creepy how they tried to take over the car. As soon as I hit a town, I hit up a spray car wash to flush out these bugs. So many were flushed out it really grossed me out. Six months later there are still one or two falling out of the car. My god, I can’t imagine hiking through that mess and having these things creeping in all of your junk. Bastards.

But I got back at the little buggers. Mass insecticide.

Small town Americana for the night.

Having looked at my timetable and my location, I had to reroute my original plan. Getting to Acadia National Park wasn’t going to happen nor roaming around Vermont and New Hampshire to do some leaf peeping. Those will have to wait for next time. So instead I decided to head to Niagara Falls. So getting back on the road through Pennsylvania northbound.

Starting on US322. Oh look, Punxsutawney!

Mc Castle?

Turn off onto Penn State Road 153 northbound

Now heading North on Penn State Road 255 northbound

And caught a brief stint through the Allegheny National Forest. Very Scenic.

And finally, the signs indicate I’ve arrived!

The Falls! Really, an amazing thing to behold.

Yep, I did the Maid of the Mist tour thing. It was cold and wet.

Double Rainbows!

Canadia!

Detained by immigration because the 1M was too hot. Who drives to Niagra Falls from Florida to just to see it and not have had booked a hotel for a stay? Apparently that throws some red flags.

Ah, now that’s out of the way. The actual Niagara Falls! A view from the Canadian side.

Now heading back to the US after getting my pics and Canadian souvenirs and snacks.

Blazing a path under the full moon to get to Syracuse. So begins the mad dash to get back to Florida in 24 hrs.

Now its sunrise!

Some tunnel action on 95 Southbound

The rest of the drive was on I95 so nothing too exciting. But finally made it home about half a day later than expected. The final stats.

And yes, the lady got the full spa treatment after the long trip.

That’s it. Another great American road trip! I’m planning the Acadia National Park run for next October so I can do the leaf peeping for reals. And maybe on the way back, I’ll hit up the Dragon.

Road Trips FTW! I hope this inspires you 1M owners out there to take your girls for a ride. The entire time I was driving, I just couldn’t shake the feeling of absolute contentment with this car. Every mile was pure driving pleasure. An amazing car. The ultimate driving machine indeed.

Last edited by sergeremi; 03-03-2013 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Fantastic! Thank you for sharing as an inspiration/reminder for the opportunities we have for wonderful automotive and sight seeing experiences in the states!
      03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #3
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Awesome, just awesome. Scrolling through your pictures and narrative I almost felt like I was along for the ride! It's so nice to see somebody out enjoying his car and seeing the true beauty of this country!
      03-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
Sarge135
Semper FI!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Amazing thread!! Thanks for sharing!

2009 SGM 135i M-Sport
Ark l Blackline l iCarbon l AFE l Hawk l VMR l ST Coilover l Parrot Asteroid l JL Audio l Janus-Design l Reiger l BMW Performance l COBB l Evolution Raceworks l TIAL l VRSF
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Great pictures and great narrating! I think I will take my 1M on my next yearly visit to North Carolina. Even their regular driving roads are a pleasure to drive. You just made me much more excited for the summer!
      03-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Wow!! Such an awesome tour - we are all envious of your "road trip". Thanks for posting for all of us.

I just LOVE your little quote... 1M + US129 at Deal’s Gap = Cookie Monster in Keebler’s house unbridled JOY!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Gotta throw the "damn!" in my language: coρσ!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #8
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Those are some great pics!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

OP......funny you mentionned Stelvio. Like all epic things the Stelvio is a bit overrated and .... especially overcrowded at times.

Nice drive and great scenery......felt like I was travelling allongside you
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Looks great mate, what a right blast of a road trip
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Always a joy to see the write-ups and pictures of those road movie alike journeys.

Seems that you had a blast, enjoying the good things of life. Too bad that the road conditions were treacherous due to humidity.

Thinking of visiting Canada this Summer.

Was at sunny Garda Lake yesterday (Northern Italy), missed my 1M over there. (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?p=13347039)

Name:  CastelToblino_02March13.jpg
Views: 16790
Size:  240.0 KB
      03-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

absolutely epic

i would love to do a road trip like this

this should definitely be on the bimmerpost homepage

thanks so much for sharing
      03-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

So jealous of you guys who have the time or make time for road trips, you are inspiring me man, very cool!
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #14
Hobbe
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW E82 1M

What a great journey.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #15
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
damn epic thread
truly felt like i was riding shotgun with you the entire time
RIP squirrel

this is my favourite shot
wish you had inserted the 1M in this pic

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Slow

roads on the mountain are crazy,, must be a blast !!
gather the M's and do the touring together,

thanks for sharing! great pictures
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

Damn, that was fantastic.

I don't have a 1M, but if you ever need a co-pilot...I'm in!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #18
sergeremi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk688 View Post
roads on the mountain are crazy,, must be a blast !!
gather the M's and do the touring together,

thanks for sharing! great pictures
Hmmm, I wonder if we could arrange a 1M tour of the BRP...
      03-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #19
///BYU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

That was exceptional! THANKS for taking the time to put that together. What an inspiration. We need more threads like this. (Which reminds me I should probably do a write-up of my European Delivery trip - it's only been 16 months...)
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
DSCPLN
BMW 1M
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren 600LT

sick photos. awesome drive. thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #21
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Amazing thread! I live only a couple of hours away from the Tail of the Dragon. Always wanted to go, but never got a chance. This definitely inspired me to drive up there soon!
      03-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #22
elitt13
Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: 1///M Coupe & ///M2 CS DKG

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M coupι  [10.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
very nice trip

nice picture