BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-04-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
AshOz125i
Private

Drives: Sedona Red 1er

Rear bumper dent repair (Brisbane)

Hey all,

Now i'm finally settled in Brisbane, i have decided to look into getting my rear bumper dent fixed. Long story short, rear bumper has a small dent and a few little surface scratches that I would like repaired (all from previous owner, all cosmetic).

Anyway I have been looking at BMW approved repairers with "Brisbane BMW Bodyshop in Windsor" the closest to me. Previous people on this forum seem to have used them with good results (at least according to some threads), and TBH i'd prefer to go with a BMW accredited repairer.

I'm going to head down there on the weekend for a quote (assuming they are open w/ends). However does anyone here have a rough idea on what this might cost to repair? I was thinking somewhere in the $500 range.

Thanks in advance all.
      03-04-2013, 04:29 AM   #2
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Over here that is a 1,500 euro repair. SOme places might be able to do a "smart repair" (leaving the old bumper on the car, slap some bondo on and sand and paint ON the car) for $500. The diffuser is pretty cheap IF you need to replace it.

Your insurance might cover this under a "comprehensive" claim. You might ask. Hopefully you have a zero or low deductible.
Dackelone is online now   Germany
      03-04-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
VGR00
Major

Drives: 125I Edition Sport Carbon Blk

I think Dack's on the money. Brisbane BMW bodyshop will want to change out the bumper and diffuser and paint. Min 2 to 3 days in the shop and at least $2500. There are some mobile bumper repair guys but can't vouch for any of them as I've never had to use one. Good luck with getting it fixed.
VGR00 is offline   Australia
      03-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
pd135
Private First Class

Drives: Bmw 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.67]
They'll probably want to change out the diffuser too, for that tiny dent.

Usually they should be able to just heat both the bumper and the diffuser with a heat gun, and mould it back to place. But depending on how bad the scratches are, will determine how much paint is required to do the job. BMW will probably want to respray the whole rear bumper.

(I got quoted $1100 just to respray my front bumper..)

Mobile repair guys are worth giving a call. Touchupguys will come out and give you a quote.
      03-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Harlequin
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)

Garage List
"BMW Accredited" = "Add a Zero".

There are plenty of places that can do a fantastic job without charging through the nose and forcing unnecessary replacement parts on you...
      03-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
AshOz125i
Private

yikes, ok guys thanks for the help. you have saved me the deer in headlights look after i hear a quote from the bodyshop lol.

I will look into a mobile repair company then, besides touch up guys can anyone recommend anyone? i'd like to get a couple quotes ideally.
      03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Jude Starr
Private First Class

Drives: 123d hatch & X1 23D

Quotes cost nothing - I would take it to Bodyshop and find out from the horses mouth how much it will cost. It may well be prohibitively expensive, but it would be good to find out from the source.

I do know, having had work (reasonably major) done by them before, that they do an absolutely magic job.
Jude Starr is offline   Australia
      03-04-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
MMorbo
Private First Class

Drives: BMW 135i, 08', Sedona Red

Touch up guys don't do body work... Only paint...

Had them out to quote on two small dents...said they could fix the top coat for 150 but not the dent...
      03-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
Harlequin
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M Coupé (VO)

Garage List
Yeah.. I had the same problem. They came out... eventually... and then took one look at it and said "no"... Seems like they really only do very minor stuff. What they do is good work, but they won't touch anything complicated..

Take it to a body shop. There's a guy at Nundah that I've used on my last couple of cars... my mates use him too.

Ken King. He has all of the BMW Paint Codes. Does really good work. Charges what it actually costs - not what he thinks you can afford just because you drive a BMW...
      03-05-2013, 02:04 AM   #10
AshOz125i
Private

Spoke to my local touch up guys rep and he said they will do plastic bumper dent repair, but couldnt come provide a quote until around next friday. He said I could send him pics for a ballpark figure though, did that but no reply as of yet.
      03-05-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
VMA-1511
Private

Drives: 125i E88

Let us know how you go, Im looking at getting the rear defuser that is in that Matte colour , colour matched to the car. Im also in a 125i
VMA-1511 is offline   Australia
      03-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
AshOz125i
Private

Okey doke, well the touch up guys got back to me with a ball park quote. Basically a summary of what they told me was that heat reshaping may not prove too successful in the area due to the dents position (apparently its quite thick plastic there and how it comes off at a angle makes this hard).

He said he would give the heat reshaping a go first, but believed the best way forward for repair would be a sand back, fill then respray from corner to corner. Rough quote of $350. At the moment I think ill be taking him up on the job as he was quite helpful and happy to discuss the procedure and the price seems tops.

Also I have a follow up question about the m sport diffuser. Does it just un-clip from the rear bumper easily? Im assuming that's how people are switching out the m sport diffuser and putting the carbon fiber one in there on their 135's and 125i with the m sport pack.
      03-06-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
flinchy
Colonel

Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Over here that is a 1,500 euro repair. SOme places might be able to do a "smart repair" (leaving the old bumper on the car, slap some bondo on and sand and paint ON the car) for $500. The diffuser is pretty cheap IF you need to replace it.

Your insurance might cover this under a "comprehensive" claim. You might ask. Hopefully you have a zero or low deductible.
How?

Even here a brand new bumper from bmw is all of ... $6xx iirc. Actually may have even been less. And itMs cheaper in almost all other countries

And a good spray should be no more than $300-$400 a panel
      03-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #14
Knightelf
Captain

Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshOz125i View Post
Does it just un-clip from the rear bumper easily? Im assuming that's how people are switching out the m sport diffuser and putting the carbon fiber one in there on their 135's and 125i with the m sport pack.
You have to take out the screws on the bottom and then you can just pull it off by unclipping it around the edge between bumper and diffuser. It was very easy to do.
Knightelf is offline   Australia
      03-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Dackelone

Drives: 135i Silber mit/Rot 6MT N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
How?

Even here a brand new bumper from bmw is all of ... $6xx iirc. Actually may have even been less. And itMs cheaper in almost all other countries

And a good spray should be no more than $300-$400 a panel
You can make a claim under comprehensive insurance policy. Like when someone hits your car(which they did) and runs away... your insurance will still cover the repairs... it just goes on your driving record.

Normally as long as you don't make another comp claim in two years... you should be ok. That is in the states though. I have no idea how you guys insurance system works there.

Dack
Dackelone is online now   Germany
      03-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #16
flinchy
Colonel

Drives: 130i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
You can make a claim under comprehensive insurance policy. Like when someone hits your car(which they did) and runs away... your insurance will still cover the repairs... it just goes on your driving record.

Normally as long as you don't make another comp claim in two years... you should be ok. That is in the states though. I have no idea how you guys insurance system works there.

Dack
sorry i meant 'how does it cost so much'

yeah our insurance is the same, if you make a claim unless you pay extra for a permanent 'discount' a claim removes the discount by a fair bit for a couple of years

excess (deductible) is usually a minimum of $300 for 'at fault' but expect to pay about $300 more next time renewal comes around unless you have the 'rating for life' stuff which i'm not entirely sure how it works.
      03-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #17
Knightelf
Captain

Drives: 2011 135i SGM DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
He cannot claim insurance because it was from before he purchased it. Unless, of course, he lies about it. When you take out a policy they ask if there is existing damage on the car.

I couldn't find an excess cheaper than $500-$600 for the 135i, not sure about the 125i.

My policy is actually coming up for renewal...

AAMI: $1100
Everything other company: Between $1800 to $2500

Knightelf is offline   Australia
      03-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
x5mad
Captain

Drives: F30 328i

Might be worthwhile getting a quote from Motorline BMW as well.

Had a tiny dent on my bonnet (delivery guy's trolley fell onto car) . Brisbane BMW quoted in region of $2500 whereas Motorline body shop came to just less than $1100 and included a BMW 323i loaner for 5 days. Was very happy with the work.
      03-11-2013, 02:08 AM   #19
AshOz125i
Private

hey all, booked in with touch up guys for next thursday. I will post pics and my experience with them afterwards. As mentioned quote was for $350.

Do you think I should take the diffuser off beforehand because they were asking about removing it. ive never done it before and havent really found any how tos about the place.
      03-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #20
AshOz125i
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by x5mad
Might be worthwhile getting a quote from Motorline BMW as well.

Had a tiny dent on my bonnet (delivery guy's trolley fell onto car) . Brisbane BMW quoted in region of $2500 whereas Motorline body shop came to just less than $1100 and included a BMW 323i loaner for 5 days. Was very happy with the work.
yeah I wanted to go to motorline initially but their location makes it hard to get to which puts them out of the picture for me. thanks for the reply though
      03-21-2013, 03:15 AM   #21
AshOz125i
Private

Ok all, update on the bumper. Just had the Touch up guys leave my place so heres some pics of the work done. Quite happy with the end result, wouldnt know there was a ding there beforehand. Total cost $350.

After heat treating the bumper

Heat treating the diffuser

Sanding the bumper back

More sanding

Taped up ready for paint prep (note: there is more sanding in this pic, there was a few nicks on the top area of the bumper he cleaned up as well

All done!
      03-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #22
P'cisT
Enlisted Member

Drives: 135i

Looks good. How come he put on the rear apron before painting though? Wouldn't it be easier to attach after the paint has been sprayed?
P'cisT is offline   Australia