BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
AshOz125i
Private

Drives: Sedona Red 1er

Foam for interior squeaks

Hey all,

Im going to be redoing the padding on my a pillar this week as its a bit hit and miss. Wondering what brissy people have used sucessfully and where I can get it from. Most ppl are using packing foam from most threads but I cant seem to find it anywhere locally.

Thanks in advance
      03-26-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
AshOz125i
Private

Im actually also looking at silicone spray/lubricant options such as this. Website seems to say its good for car dashboards and the likes, so might see if i can pick some of this stuff up.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aer.../#.UVFQdBz7BOk
      03-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
AshOz125i
Private

I picked up some of the nulon ezi glide silicone lubricant yesterday. if anyone is interested i had some success reducing the plastic squeak from the following:

- passenger side air vent, sprayed around the edges which has reduced the creak quite alot. Could use a little more though.

- center of dash trim section, removed the fake wood trim then cleaned down with this http://www.meguiars.com.au/products/car-care/glass-clear-plastic-and-exterior-trim/ultimate-protectant/ then loosened dash screws and sprayed the lubricant into the holes. Some success again as most ppl know the squeaks are had to get to without a complete dash removal however pretty happy with the results.

- a pillar, re applied some flock/fabric dots with adhesive on one side with moderate success. This is an ongoing issue which is going to take some trial and error

As this was my first attempt with the spray I was very cautious with how much I used. However I think its quite safe so I might continue to add more to see if the results are better. I went with the spray on, wait a few seconds then wipe off approach but I think next time I will let it sit for a little longer and let it soak into the plastics a little longer. No staining of anything either which is a plus.
      03-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #4
Nugget
Major

Drives: 2011 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
The only thing that rattles on my interior is the rear view mirror on rough/country roads.
Anyone have suggestions on how to fix that?
      04-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Walnut
Private

Drives: 130i

I've had some success with removing the two nylon 'christmas tree' mounts from the A pillar, which are hooked onto by the A pillar trim. The A pillar trim is already mounted with a screw at the top and a nylon hook at the bottom, which are fine for the job. With 4 mounting points, it seems the part is somehow crimped or stretched or warped a little, so removing the unnecessary mounts seems to fix it. My only concern would be that all the mounts are necessary for the part to disintegrate in some particular manner when the airbag goes off???
Walnut is offline   Australia