BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)
 





 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-03-2013, 11:53 AM   #67
MKParris
Private
 
Drives: 08 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Florida

Posts: 66
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozy View Post
They're putting the activation button on the steering wheel. My other half has it on her's and you do need to look down to see what you're doing; I like the stalk on mine better as I just flick it forward, job done.


That is horrible....I love how it is on a stalk with no button.
MKParris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #68
CC
Private
 
Drives: 2013 135i DSB coupe
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: D/FW

Posts: 50
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
The 135is comes with DCT, which hasn't been available on the US market 135i for quite some time. That would make it very expensive to turn a 135i in to an "is". The sport auto in the 135i is good, but it's no dual-clutch gearbox. The DCT can't be matched for predictability and latency, and that's what really matters for sporty driving.
DCT hasn't been available in the US market 135i for quite some time. What???

Hasn't it been available on the 135i since 2011?
CC is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #69
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
The article does highlight the undercurrent of uncertainty with the future of the brand. I found it interesting how the writer implied it was the "Germans, as a car-making culture, [falling] out of love with driving" as the reason for BMW's numbing of the 3-Series design. If that's true, then how would that NOT affect all future models?

I hope future 1 and 2-Series models live up to our expectations as enthusiasts. Porsche keeps calling to me like a siren in the mist !

.
I don't think it's the Germans falling out of love with the car culture. It's the younger generations that don't really care about anything but "BMW Apps". I think it's generational, not national, or cultural.
__________________
2014 Porsche Cayman S
2013 E82 135is DCT (SOLD)
2011 E92 M3 (SOLD) 6MT
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
CptSlow is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #70
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer View Post
Lol...he still hasn't replied how he knows. But what you say is a sad fact. BMW sells only due to it's brand and marketing now, like Apple does. The people buying them care only for status, driving fun be damned.
I'm not holding my breath for a reply.

As for the second part, you're right. Let's face it though, based on how many Camry's/Accord's/Fusion's there are on the road, we're in a small minority.
__________________
2014 Porsche Cayman S
2013 E82 135is DCT (SOLD)
2011 E92 M3 (SOLD) 6MT
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
CptSlow is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #71
vantagesc
Second Lieutenant
 
vantagesc's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CA

Posts: 204
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
DCT hasn't been available in the US market 135i for quite some time. What???

Hasn't it been available on the 135i since 2011?
Yes, my '11 has DCT.

But considering that the 135is model is available with a 6-speed manual, bradleyland's argument doesn't make sense.
vantagesc is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #72
M3Denver
Lieutenant
 
M3Denver's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Denver CO

Posts: 423
iTrader: (0)

Oh look a glorified 135i with a bump in power by changing the boost... Meh nothing new or special to see here.
M3Denver is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #73
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

As a long time R&T subscriber, I think this was a great review. R&T also had a major makeover this month, and the magazine is a lot better than before in many ways. But at this point, aside from the different writers, how are they that different in presentation than Car and Driver?

Anyways, my 2nd thought is, this review pretty much cements a lot of other magazine opinions out there... The E-platforms were all much "better" performance cars than their replacement F-cars in terms of responsiveness and driving experience.

I plan on keeping my E90 M3 for a long time.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:35 PM   #74
simianspeedster
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
I don't think it's the Germans falling out of love with the car culture. It's the younger generations that don't really care about anything but "BMW Apps". I think it's generational, not national, or cultural.
At the expense of sounding like Old Man Withers blaming "damned kids!!!" I agree for the most part. I'd bet that many younger enthusiasts would be more excited about real drivers' cars if they had the opportunity to try one. Imagine being born in 2013 -- by the time you'd be of driving age, what chance would you have to become exposed to what some of us grew up with?

Maybe we need to start a mentoring program for new drivers. Give 'em some track time in a manual transmission 1 Series or a BRZ before they get to purchase their first car.
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #75
simianspeedster
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Some photos from NYIAS:

BMW 135is Coupe @ 2013 NYAIS


Maybe the best pictures of Deep Sea Blue ever -- so sweet.
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:47 PM   #76
CptSlow
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayman S
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Atlanta

Posts: 322
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Maybe we need to start a mentoring program for new drivers. Give 'em some track time in a manual transmission 1 Series or a BRZ before they get to purchase their first car.
Most 16 year olds these days probably never heard of a manual transmission.

As for the track time....I don't have the balls to be in the right seat with them.....do you?
__________________
2014 Porsche Cayman S
2013 E82 135is DCT (SOLD)
2011 E92 M3 (SOLD) 6MT
2011 E82 128i STEP (wife's car)
2007 E92 335i (SOLD) 6MT
CptSlow is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #77
scargizmo
New Member
 
Drives: 135ic 2010 manual
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: tundra

Posts: 16
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drFUNK View Post
Absolutely - I feel its a "last call" for driver's BMWs if one is interested in a new car.

Previously I planned on waiting for the M235i, but driving an e82 back to back with an F30 and e90 frightened me. I couldn't believe it, so I drove a few more F30s and got the same feeling - the car just didn't speak to me at all.
Exactly. I test drove M135 in both mono and xDrive version - there are as numb (though very fast) as F30 335, I fear..
scargizmo is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #78
ptack
Brigadier General
 
ptack's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 4,197
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
I figure I have several more years to go before I move on to something new and BMW better have an option that's as fun to drive as my baby or I'll be buying something else.

One odd thing about the article was the talking about how great the driving experience is and then how nice it was that they moved te cruise control - huh? Sorry, but I've never even used my cruise control in 5 years. In 5 more years it will be how nice they've gotten rid of all that nasty feedback you get through the steering wheel.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Forgestar F14s, PPK Stage II
ptack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:05 PM   #79
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,125
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
Maybe the best pictures of Deep Sea Blue ever -- so sweet.
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #80
marcva
Private
 
Drives: E36 M345
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna, Virginia, USA

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Right seat with a 16 yr old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
Most 16 year olds these days probably never heard of a manual transmission.

As for the track time....I don't have the balls to be in the right seat with them.....do you?
Actually...BTDT at Summit Point in WV with the BMW club. Truth is, while people talk up a storm about their driving, I have never in almost 10 years of instructing had a new student that wasn't overwhelmed by traveling on a track at even 8/10ths. By the time they get over their terror, they are usually humbled enough to be very careful and attentive.

Its the students with 15 days that will hurt you if you're not careful. They really do know enough to be dangerous.

Marc
NCCBMWCCA Instructor
E36 M345
marcva is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #81
marcva
Private
 
Drives: E36 M345
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vienna, Virginia, USA

Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvega702 View Post
Makes me want to go buy a 05 zhp w/ manual tranny and keep it forever.
Yeah, that's why I'm keeping my E36 M3/4. Upgraded the stereo...fresh Konis, keep it clean and waxed. Recaro SRDs. If the exhaust ever rots, I'm going to a UUC Corsa...etc. Just keep refreshing a solid platform.
marcva is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #82
misterbeemer
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 760Li
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 246
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Yeah, that's why I'm keeping my E36 M3/4. Upgraded the stereo...fresh Konis, keep it clean and waxed. Recaro SRDs. If the exhaust ever rots, I'm going to a UUC Corsa...etc. Just keep refreshing a solid platform.
Would love to see some pics of your ride.
misterbeemer is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #83
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
 
Drives: 2011 135i - Silver 6MT M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL

Posts: 947
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
DCT hasn't been available in the US market 135i for quite some time. What???

Hasn't it been available on the 135i since 2011?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Yes, my '11 has DCT.

But considering that the 135is model is available with a 6-speed manual, bradleyland's argument doesn't make sense.
Man, I'm sorry. I don't know what I'm talking about. I thought BMW had gone to the ZF in the 135i when they went to the 7-speed. I'll go back and edit my post so I'm not spreading misinformation.
__________________
Present
2013 X3 28i - N20 Mineral Silver / Sand Beige / Premium, Tech

Past
2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
bradleyland is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #84
JasonCSU
Colonel
 
Drives: '08 135i, '03 WRX
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 2,132
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2003 Subaru WRX  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSlow View Post
I don't think it's the Germans falling out of love with the car culture. It's the younger generations that don't really care about anything but "BMW Apps". I think it's generational, not national, or cultural.
Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
At the expense of sounding like Old Man Withers blaming "damned kids!!!" I agree for the most part. I'd bet that many younger enthusiasts would be more excited about real drivers' cars if they had the opportunity to try one. Imagine being born in 2013 -- by the time you'd be of driving age, what chance would you have to become exposed to what some of us grew up with?

Maybe we need to start a mentoring program for new drivers. Give 'em some track time in a manual transmission 1 Series or a BRZ before they get to purchase their first car.
I would agree with that as well. I remember recently reading about how many kids are not very interested in obtaining their drivers license once they turn 16 these days. It seems that other enthusiast and classic car groups are aware of this "lack of interest" too, as I've heard about various groups trying to engage younger generations and generate interest in driving, working on, and owning classic/driver's cars.
__________________
Delivered in Munich, broken in on the Nurburgring.
JasonCSU is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #85
Never Convicted
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 M3 E92
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte NC

Posts: 434
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simianspeedster View Post
At the expense of sounding like Old Man Withers blaming "damned kids!!!" I agree for the most part. I'd bet that many younger enthusiasts would be more excited about real drivers' cars if they had the opportunity to try one. Imagine being born in 2013 -- by the time you'd be of driving age, what chance would you have to become exposed to what some of us grew up with?

Maybe we need to start a mentoring program for new drivers. Give 'em some track time in a manual transmission 1 Series or a BRZ before they get to purchase their first car.
And then you could tell them how movies used to cost a nickel and how you used to walk 10 miles to school without shoes! Great stories! Very interesting! Damn young kids these days!
Never Convicted is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #86
simianspeedster
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Vast Interwebs...

Posts: 598
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
And then you could tell them how movies used to cost a nickel and how you used to walk 10 miles to school without shoes! Great stories! Very interesting! Damn young kids these days!
GET OFFA' MY LAWN!!!
simianspeedster is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #87
MightyMouseTech
Captain
 
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Posts: 781
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcva View Post
Actually...BTDT at Summit Point in WV with the BMW club. Truth is, while people talk up a storm about their driving, I have never in almost 10 years of instructing had a new student that wasn't overwhelmed by traveling on a track at even 8/10ths. By the time they get over their terror, they are usually humbled enough to be very careful and attentive.

Its the students with 15 days that will hurt you if you're not careful. They really do know enough to be dangerous.

Marc
NCCBMWCCA Instructor
E36 M345
HA HA! How true!
MightyMouseTech is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #88
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
 
UNO///M's Avatar
 
Drives: AW BMW 1M
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Orlando,FL

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Just 2k shy of 1M territory. I like it. Get your hands on one, before is to late. This one like my car is the last analog Bimmer, the next gen will be full of bullcrap gadgetry.
__________________
AW BMW 1M, N55 mid pipe, Lightweight titanausphalangen CF front splitter, Bmw Performance CF rear spoliler, LUX AE, IND goodies...
UNO///M is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.




1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST