BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #23
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I test drove a M3, disappointing, so kept the 135i, then bought a 1M

precisely my point. while somewhat close in price points.. and really not THAT close to be honest... the key is that the M3 wasn't what you wanted. You even tried to like it... sure... you * might* have bought one, since (with the Z4Ms demise) the M3 is the only 2 door M car available less than 110K for an M6... but that doesnt mean it took a true M3 buyer out of the market.

In Dallas, where I live.. none of the dealers actively sell the 1 series. They generally keep one or at most 2 cars on the lot, typically one is a convertible, and they are optioned up to 52K, which makes a base 3 series look like a bargain! They immediately step customers that come in looking for a 1 series and try to convince them to get 3 series. Some customers make the jump.. but I bet many are turned off and go look elsewhere. Hopefully with the 2 series this will change.. and certainly we all know that a ton of traffic was created by the 1M... Although even then.. most dealers didnt really know what they had ... but there is a serious pent up market for a 2 door M car in the 40K region.. which is where the M3 used to be. Like many other car company models.. the M3 has moved so far up market in price, styling, and size, that BMW needs another car beneath it.

In my opinion... there is definitely room for an M2 coupe and an M2 sedan ( gran coupe') in the M car lineup.... probably along with a redesigned, much less expensive Z2M...
      07-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #24
Redadair
Major

Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
I agree, had the 1M not been built I would have bought an e90 M3. Sure glad the 1M was born.

Overall the 3 series and now 4 series has grown into what the 5 series used to be. People bought the M3's because they were 2 door Motorsports cars, the same cars that have been raced in competition since the e30 M3 was born.

The 5 series has never been seriously races over the years. The new M4, I guess it will replace the current e90 M3 in the Rolex Sports Cars and DTC racing, maybe not since BMW has now switched over to the Z4 for it's racing team.. Maybe the M2 will take up where the old e90 M3 left off as The preferred race car? The e30 chassis is very big now. Time will tell for sure.
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 70K Miles
04 330i ZHP Sedan 55K miles
Redadair is offline   United_States
      07-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #25
Goombeh
Private First Class

Drives: 1M, GTR, GSXR

Quote:
I'm with Ian here, the 1M clearly did "steal" some sales away from the M3 as a few posters have stated, I also would definitely have purchased an E92 M3 if they had not extended the allocation here in Aust and I wasn't able to buy one.

I would imagine it would be more that case in NA, as there is a comfortable $55K difference between the two cars here when I was ready to purchase in Aus, regardless, I was ready to put it on the M3.

The fact that I saved myself $55K and drove away with the car that was more suited to what I wanted is a huge cherry on top.

So BMW will have to be very strategic in how the M2 is positioned.
      07-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #26
Zuzu
Major General

Drives: VO 1M Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
I'm with Ian here, the 1M clearly did "steal" some sales away from the M3 as a few posters have stated, I also would definitely have purchased an E92 M3 if they had not extended the allocation here in Aust and I wasn't able to buy one.

I would imagine it would be more that case in NA, as there is a comfortable $55K difference between the two cars here when I was ready to purchase in Aus, regardless, I was ready to put it on the M3.

The fact that I saved myself $55K and drove away with the car that was more suited to what I wanted is a huge cherry on top.

Agree. Here in Australia, there is a massive difference in pricing between the 1M and M3, which made the decission easier.
1M at $110K against the M3 at $170K.
Couldn't justify spending the extra $60K for the M3, when the 1M ticked all the boxes for me.
Zuzu is offline   Australia
      07-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
Ian///M
Major General

Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post

Yep, the 1M was far more my style of car than he M3. Even if they were priced the same I'd probably still have chosen the 1M
      07-06-2013, 11:20 PM   #28
Mr.Metak2you
Brigadier General

Drives: LEXUS LS(DailyDriver)
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
There is no way the M2 will be better than the 1M. Mark my words.
      07-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #29
Jay-K
Colonel

Drives: Slow

Wow well said sir.
Jay-K is offline   Indonesia
      07-07-2013, 12:35 AM   #30
EINSER M
Major General

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
There is no way the M2 will be better than the 1M. Mark my words.

EINSER M is offline   United_States
      07-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #31
Venom
Colonel

Drives: E82 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [4.25]
Send a message via AIM to Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by EINSER M View Post

Prius is Latin for impotence.
Venom is online now   United_States
      07-07-2013, 05:20 AM   #32
Tåst
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I would love to see this... this would be exactly the differentiation I am referring to.. all the M3 fans (some will need to become M4 fans lol) can continue to have a GT vehicle that has the vaunted 6 cylinder that NEWER bmw fans think is the end all be all of BMW design. They can continue on in their ignorant bliss, disgusted with the fact that a 6 cyl motor wasnt employed in the 1M and they will wait for the M3/M4.

** Proper Enthusiasts ** will be happy with a 4 cylinder turbo motor that has a ton of useable torque, in a lighter weight vehicle that hopefully will be in a market segment with other enthusiast vehicles like the WRX/STI , Mitsu Evo and VW R32, the Subaru BRZ and the Porsche Cayman. True enthusiasts will look at the specs of the car.. weight.. wheelbase.. headroom.. legroom.. and of course engine stats and hope for a fun car that is just like the 1M.
Yes, only anomaly was S14, E30 chassis not allowed to use huge long M88 engine, even S14 engine mid point come little in front of the axle. Still they planned to go back to inline six, 1993 they tested E36 prototype, whit I6 engine, it never come out because BMW leave DTM.

Last edited by Tåst; 07-07-2013 at 06:16 AM.
      07-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #33
Longwong
Banned

Drives: e92 m3 catless

Not sure why any tech or anyone would consider the 1m something that interesting from their perspective given its engine is seen in all the IS models essentially and the suspension is the m3 stuff and the rest is a 135. So conceptually and as a drivers car it is special but from a technical standpoint it hardly is anything special to take a look at or work on.

The m3 and s65 is a much more rare bread to any tech or someone who works on cars as there are only a handful of them come through the service vs. the n54 is the most worked on engine these days in service
      07-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #34
Robin_NL
S0THPAW

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longwong View Post
Not sure why any tech or anyone would consider the 1m something that interesting from their perspective given its engine is seen in all the IS models essentially and the suspension is the m3 stuff and the rest is a 135. So conceptually and as a drivers car it is special but
from a technical standpoint it hardly is anything special to take a look at or work on.

The m3 and s65 is a much more rare bread to any tech or someone who works on cars as there are only a handful of them come through the service vs. the n54 is the most worked on engine these days in service
It is a driver's car exactly(also compared to the E9x M3)

Analogy:
From a technical standpoint a Bugatti Veyron for example is maybe the most high tech car stock available, ever.

But there are many many many better driver's cars around (for a lot less money too.)

And yes I do know Macca has their P1(Macca F1 is more a driver's car I think) , Porker the 918 coming out soon, and Ferrari the La, but they are 'green' cars more or less

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
      07-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #35
Redadair
Major

Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Not sure why any tech or anyone would consider the 1m something that interesting from their perspective given its engine is seen in all the IS models essentially and the suspension is the m3 stuff and the rest is a 135. So conceptually and as a drivers car it is special but from a technical standpoint it hardly is anything special to take a look at or work on.

Hello Mr M3, and your commenting on a car that you haven't even driven why? Please you have no opinion about the car unless you have actually driven one!

Please
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 70K Miles
04 330i ZHP Sedan 55K miles
Redadair is offline   United_States
      07-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #36
Robin_NL
S0THPAW

Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa

I would like to add a 1M is actually more 'rare bread' than any E9x M3 this side of a GTS /CRT looking at the production numbers...

But just drive the thing as Redadair stated, if you have any chance.

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
      07-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #37
Artemis
Brigadier General

Drives: 1M (VO)

Quote:
Not sure why any tech or anyone would consider the 1M something that interesting from their perspective
Although they got a lot of body parts and genes in common, most people who got acquainted, c.q. befriended, consider the younger sister a tad more desirable than the older bigger one, especially because she's a tad sexier and harder to get. Arrange for a date and you know why.
      07-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #38
Longwong
Banned

Drives: e92 m3 catless

I never have driven one? I owned one for 4 months along side my m3 but was not a car I personally enjoyed and sold it for a bit more than I paid for it so jumped at that chance. When I woke up each day I found myself wanting to take my m3 and after a few months it made no sense to keep both and sold while I could not only get my money but make a bit as well. Great car but hardly something I have ever seen someone really get excited about.
      07-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #39
rad doc
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
I never have driven one? I owned one for 4 months along side my m3 but was not a car I personally enjoyed and sold it for a bit more than I paid for it so jumped at that chance. When I woke up each day I found myself wanting to take my m3 and after a few months it made no sense to keep both and sold while I could not only get my money but make a bit as well. Great car but hardly something I have ever seen someone really get excited about.
Well, everyone has personal preferences. Mine is the exact opposite of yours and there are plenty of us who feel that way. Both great cars.

As for the 1M being nothing special, that is a little inflammatory and just flat out not true. My car has been serviced at 3 different dealers and all the service advisers and assistants were thrilled to see a rare car, many whom had never seen one in person. More so than the "dime a dozen" M3. At a local car show, my lowly 1M garnered more attention than most M3's. My brother in law owns a BMW repair shop and has never worked on a 1M. He would happily take it off my hands even though it has such common parts. But again both the M3 and 1M are great. If the 1M wasn't around, I would be in an M3. They are the best available DD's in my opinion.
      07-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
trinity_2200
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Well, everyone has personal preferences.
My personal preferences is turbocharged car, that's why I lean against 1M
      07-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #41
ozinaldo
Brigadier General

Quote:
Longwong, you seem to have the car you liked more and you enjoy it. Exactly like most of us here So, good for you and congrats but I hardly see the point you are making in relevance to the thread topic we are discussing, which is 1M vs. M2.

Now, having said that, if you think that a V8 M3 that you proudly own is "interesting" from a technical point of view but a 1M is not/nyet/nada, I would then remind you that the main technical difference between these two cars, namely the S65 engine did not fall from heaven, the technology was there, applied on another BMW already, as we all know, it is essentially a minus 2 cylinder version of the S85 of E60 M5. Does this fact make the S65 or the M3 carrying that engine "uninteresting" or dull because that was not really a novelty? We are not talking about Ferraris of old times here, these are mainstream performance cars and even a Pagani carries a Mercedes engine, either Zonda or Huayra, I find them very much interesting technical or otherwise.

By the way, I like M3s, who doesn't after all? Proof? Look around, even in Chile, they are in every second corner and you need to look closely to spot that it indeed is a M3 since from a distance, kind of hard to tell. In my case, if BMW wouldn't make the 1M I would have one too, again, why not, everybody else does it?, and would just try to ignore its size and weight and a few other minor stuff I am not crazy about, and instead I would concentrate in all the good things (and they are plenty, sounds good for instance etc.) it makes in such a sublime way.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-07-2013 at 09:38 PM.
ozinaldo is offline   Portugal
      07-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #42
Goombeh
Private First Class

Drives: 1M, GTR, GSXR

I think Mr OP is right, the lack of pure consideration time that the 1M had through from conception to establishment I think has created a car which in hindsight, may not have been one which, given due consideration (cost, wide audience appeal, political correctness, etc) would have been produced.

Manual only limits it severely to a certain customer, the size also as does the cost. When I took one for a drive, which I didn't really intend to do after visiting BMW ready to put a deposit down on an M3, the first thing I thought........ well the second thing after ... Fwooar.......... that was actually the first, was good on BMW, or any other manufacturer with that thought, for making a car like this. I thought those days were gone.

Let's not get into an M3 vs 1M war as seems typical, they are (in my opinion and experience) rather different cars. This will of course result in them appealing to rather different customers (even though I was going to buy an M3), but my point here is that there is no need arguing over m3, 1M as I see it like arguing over 911 Turbo vs GT3 RS. Different focus, different appeal.

It's of no surprise to see the 1M compared to the stripper Cayman regularly as it offers this similar style of experience, raw, hard edged, pure, focussed.

The M3 is often compared to the RS4, C63 etc, as it fits into that market better, super fast, comfortable touring coupe/sedan.

And that's exactly how I experienced the two cars. So there should be no argument between the two cars, different horses.

Back to the point, I think the 1M is brilliant for it's imposed time constraints which I think allowed it to get through without being sensiblised... yeah I made up a word so.? ..

Last edited by Goombeh; 07-08-2013 at 08:37 AM.
      07-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #43
Mdawood
First Lieutenant

Drives: vo 1m

^ well said...
      07-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #44
hlmiii
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

Quote:
hardly something I have ever seen someone really get excited about.

I have never seen anybody NOT excited by, or at least interested in, the 1M. Men, boys, women, girls, people not interested in cars. All included - even my stepmother.

hlmiii is offline   United_States