BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #45
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States

Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
Maybe even more so with the nanoskin sponge: I got zero marring... At least none that I noticed.
I've experienced that also- so far, I'm very happy with the way all of the nanoskin products perform.

Just be sure not to place it in contact with anything that can get hot, such as a wrench on a hot summer day, etc. The tacky side melts easily should it come in contact with a piece of metal that's been sitting out in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #46
Texan Engineer
Private

Drives: 2013 128i + ///M Sport Pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
I was taught that also, although what would have been "swirls" will just be "streaks". Either way, the modern consensus seems to be as Texan mentioned- today's clays are supple enough that any marring they may leave isn't affected by the direction of the clay.

This is great for us, as it makes the entire process a little more simple.

^same. I was taught that originally as well, but circular motion does seem to work ok for me. And it's indeed faster
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #47
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: '11 128i

Did clay my wife's 3 years old Mazda CX-9 (brillant black, as delicate as Jet Black), I did clay it 2 years ago without polish and did not noticed many swirls. Now after 3 years of (light) abuse (young kids, car washes), I decided to do it all. I did clay it (enough lube) then hand polished it (Meguiars Utlimate Polish) then applied a layer of Meguiars Techwax NXT and I am very happy about the result. There are still a few very light swirls here and there but all together it is very smooth, very uniform and nice too look at in direct sunlight (forgot what it was to have a really clean black car).