BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read




 

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #1
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
121
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
Finding a 1M Substitution

I'm taking a position in Germany that's going to keep me out of the states for a couple of years and it seem that my 1M may not be able to come with me (TUV and massive suspension mods don't seem to play nice). So, I figure that it's about time to start searching for a new toy to play with during my exodus. I've eye-banging the 991 GT3 pretty hard, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a little fast for my liking. After thinking it over for a few nights, I've decided that I should get something that is forbidden fruit in the states.

So far I've narrowed the list down to:

Renault Sport Clio V6
Escort Cosworth
Lancia Delta Integrale



Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Last edited by redux; 01-16-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
robertm
Captain
16
Rep
876
Posts

Drives: BSM 1M
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: dfw

iTrader: (0)

959
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
121
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
The cost of ownership for one of those is a terrifying prospect if you're not worth billions. My price cap is about 150,000 Euro, which would just about cover an oil change for a 959. I have no plans of owning a garage queen, the chassis is going to be beat to dust by the time I'm done with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #4
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
785
Rep
4,693
Posts

Drives: L'Orange
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [4.62]
Renault R26-R. you won't regret it. do a search.

another great option is the Audi RS3. blistering speed and a beautiful 5 cylinder turbo that sounds amaaaaaaaazing

also the older Audi RS2 (manufactured by Porsche)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Chapman1977
Private
1
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: 1M Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

If you're going down this route, make sure to take a look at our fellow British icons

- Lotus Elise MkI (S160, S190!)
- Lotus Exige MkI
- Lotus 340R
- TVR's

etc.

Pure heart and soul, and not (much) more maintenance than the ones you mentioned.

Cheers
__________________
1M for sale / 48k Euro / built 11/11 / Nav. Prof. / Harman Kardon / 29.500 Kilometers / PDC etc.

SOLD.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
121
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Renault R26-R. you won't regret it. do a search.

another great option is the Audi RS3. blistering speed and a beautiful 5 cylinder turbo that sounds amaaaaaaaazing

also the older Audi RS2 (manufactured by Porsche)
I played with an R26-R back in 2010; while fun, I just don't see me owning one or doing the FWD thing again.



The 340R is the list, but all things lotus are a bit small when you are 6'1" 220 pounds.

Last edited by redux; 11-10-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
lcrain
Captain
21
Rep
849
Posts

Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (1)

TVR Sagaris.

Or an M3 CSL. Either way you must get something cool that we have/will not get here in the states.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
greensto
Wild Card
greensto's Avatar
United_States
23
Rep
652
Posts

Drives: Black 135i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Delray Beach, FL

iTrader: (2)

TVR Sagaris!!!! I feel in love with that car the second I saw it, but probably not very practical though for a dd... If you decide to go that route, you need to let me know what you think!!
__________________

Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you


Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Dackelone's Avatar
Germany
3819
Rep
20,367
Posts

Drives: N54 e82
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bayern, Germany

iTrader: (1)

BMW M550d Kombi(Wagon) they sell for about 90K euros new.

Maybe a regular 911. ?

IF your looking for a daily driver I would not go with something old and exotic. Your gonna need a 2nd car then. And remember most Germans park on the street! lol Insurance is also rediculous over here.


(new)cars over here are very expensive. Your typical e9x M3 sells for 100K euros. A GT3 is probably close to 200K euros new. Of course the used car market is much cheaper. But most Germans only buy new(or more likely Lease) a car. They keep it for two or three years and then ditch it. The reason is by the time the car is three years old your gonna need new tires(both summer and winter!) and brakes and services.

Germany is the land where an oil change at most dealerships runs 300 euros(for say a 1M or M3). Oil service(trans and diff and engine oil) is probably more like 600 euros. And don't forget the Krauts, tax the car every year(and it always costs more each year) bc they want you to buy a new car every few years. lol

Its like the tour guide at the Lamborghini factory told me... "...everyone can afford a Lambo... BUT not everyone can afford to keep(service) them"!!! lol That made me laugh, but its true.

Also... a German driver's license will run about 1,300 euros. Let teh fun begin!

Dack
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Robin_NL's Avatar
Netherlands
881
Rep
5,695
Posts

Drives: LBB M2+MPE
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
I'm taking a position in Germany that's going to keep me out of the states for a couple of years and it seem that my 1M may not be able to come with me (TUV and massive suspension mods don't seem to play nice). So, I figure that it's about time to start searching for a new toy to play with during my exodus. I've eye-banging the 991 GT3 pretty hard, but I have a feeling that it's going to be a little fast for my liking. After thinking it over for a few nights, I've decided that I should get something that is forbidden fruit in the states.

So far I've narrowed the list down to:

Renault Sport Clio V6
Escort Cosworth
Lancia Delta Integrale



Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I drove all 3 of them:

Clio V6 (Phase II)= Awesome looks, limited, but not enough grunt, and the interior gets very hot(midengine) plus the mid engine swb makes it a difficult car on the limit. Always choose a Phase II imo.

Escort Cosworth: Traction but turbolag. I drove a 300BHP Gr A rallything almost 20 years ago Rallypedigree. Very powerful. Great car , parts and maintenance arent as costly as the:

Delta Integrale. Traction.Beautiful boxy looks, just like the 1M. Rally pedigree(Stratos/037/Delta S4 etc) , strange drivingposition. Costly to maintain. And Italian way of doing things(dashboard layout, functions)

Those cars are older(10-20 years) so don't expect them to be doing the same things you can do with a 1M(as a daily etc)

If money is no object I'd choose a nice Integrale HF Evo 1 or Evo 2(they(good ones) don't come cheap) , but not as a daily.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #11
Artemis
Major General
Artemis's Avatar
Belgium
2342
Rep
5,845
Posts

Drives: M2 (Mineral Grey 6MT)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
I've decided that I should get something that is forbidden fruit in the states.
Consider a BMW M135i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redux View Post
So far I've narrowed the list down to:
Renault Sport Clio V6
If you're into Renault, check the Renault Mégane RS 265 Trophy. Lapped the Nürburgring in 08:08, a lap record for a FWD (http://www.carscoops.com/2011/06/ren...ap-record.html)

BMW M135i versus Renault Mégane RS
__________________
“For ’tis the mind that makes the body rich” (W. Shakespeare, The Taming of the Shrew, Act 4, Scene 3)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #12
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
121
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
Thankfully I'll have a Golf to tool around in, so this car remain a toy. I can't seem to kick the memory of the run I had in Clio V6 about six years ago. It's hard to think of anything that would be as fun at road speeds.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
Ollieb7
Private
0
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: 1M, Caterham R500, 65 VW Split
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

22B
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
Ian///M
Major General
Ian///M's Avatar
No_Country
112
Rep
6,111
Posts

Drives: 1M (Sold)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oz

iTrader: (0)

No 1Ms for sale in Europe?
__________________
BMW 1M VO - Cobb + PTF e-Tune, Akrapovic wireless, MadDad mids, ETS 5" FMIC, ER CP, TurboSmart PB DV's, SSK, CDV, OCC, AWRON Gauge, Hankook RS-3's, Vorshlag Camber plates
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 05:37 PM   #15
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9
Rep
209
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I like the look of the current VW Scirroco
Something you can't get stateside
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:36 PM   #16
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
ozinaldo's Avatar
Portugal
69
Rep
3,071
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal

iTrader: (0)

I would go for a used German "classic" in Germany! In your particular case a M3 CSL or a RS2 could really deliver the thrills you are looking for. Or if there was something missing from the ranks of Porsche in US market that you always wanted to get...that too would make good sense. Germany should be the best place to find a well kept one for both models. And when you do find, they will cost as much if not more than your 1M in States but I would be surprised if you would regret having any of them.
__________________
"The mark of a great car is one whose overall competence exceeds what you should expect from its individual components and the 1M does just that", Chris Harris.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #17
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Jay-K's Avatar
Indonesia
134
Rep
3,196
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moved to LA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
BMW M550d Kombi(Wagon) they sell for about 90K euros new.

Maybe a regular 911. ?

IF your looking for a daily driver I would not go with something old and exotic. Your gonna need a 2nd car then. And remember most Germans park on the street! lol Insurance is also rediculous over here.


(new)cars over here are very expensive. Your typical e9x M3 sells for 100K euros. A GT3 is probably close to 200K euros new. Of course the used car market is much cheaper. But most Germans only buy new(or more likely Lease) a car. They keep it for two or three years and then ditch it. The reason is by the time the car is three years old your gonna need new tires(both summer and winter!) and brakes and services.

Germany is the land where an oil change at most dealerships runs 300 euros(for say a 1M or M3). Oil service(trans and diff and engine oil) is probably more like 600 euros. And don't forget the Krauts, tax the car every year(and it always costs more each year) bc they want you to buy a new car every few years. lol

Its like the tour guide at the Lamborghini factory told me... "...everyone can afford a Lambo... BUT not everyone can afford to keep(service) them"!!! lol That made me laugh, but its true.

Also... a German driver's license will run about 1,300 euros. Let teh fun begin!

Dack
thanks for the info, nice
__________________
"Well, there's a straight-six engine at the front, a manual gearbox in the middle and drive goes to the back. That's Page 1, Chapter 1 from the petrosexual handbook" - JC
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 10:40 PM   #18
Jay-K
Brigadier General
Jay-K's Avatar
Indonesia
134
Rep
3,196
Posts

Drives: Slow
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Moved to LA

iTrader: (0)

how about another 1M there?
__________________
"Well, there's a straight-six engine at the front, a manual gearbox in the middle and drive goes to the back. That's Page 1, Chapter 1 from the petrosexual handbook" - JC
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 05:18 AM   #19
RKR
Private First Class
United Kingdom
49
Rep
151
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Aberdeen.

iTrader: (0)

Not sure if you get the GTS stateside but this would surely keep you entertained;

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...xperiment=true
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
redux
WTF does Stage 1 mean?
redux's Avatar
121
Rep
232
Posts

Drives: 1M
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore, Los Angeles, and such

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 1M  [4.60]
Getting another 1M, plus the cost of modding it to the point where I'm happy with it, seems like a waste. The M3 GTS is too big for my tastes...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #21
Johnny-J5
Private
Switzerland
1
Rep
53
Posts

Drives: 2009 135i F1 Sauber #106
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Geneve, CH

iTrader: (0)

Audi TTRS, Audi RS6 or B5 RS4

e46 m3 CSL

AlfaRomeo 8C

European diesels aren't too shabby either!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #22
MightyMouseTech
Brigadier General
MightyMouseTech's Avatar
833
Rep
3,306
Posts

Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I would be picking up an RS3 in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:05 AM.




1addicts
1addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST