BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-19-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
wlchan3

Drives: 135i owner

Key fob comfort access issue

So the other day as I was driving my console cluster went off and on like I was turning off/on my car. The car was driveable and everything works.

When I stopped, I noticed that my CA doesn't work. I changed the battery and that didn't seem to fix the issue. I tried my spare CA and the car didn't respond to that one either.

When I have the driver door open and bring the key close to the ignition area, the car dings and shows an icon of a key. So it looks like the sensor is working except it lost the data to recognize the key.

I looked around and couldn't really find any solution (found some with similar issue). I don't really want to take it to the stealership since I've had bad experience with them before. Anyone have any idea of how to reprogram the key? or do I have a more serious issue?
      05-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #2
BaNaNaBoy69
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E88

Garage List
Sounds like you're trying to steal a 335i. LOL

If not and the car is under warranty, I don't see why you wouldn't go back to the dealership, especially if there is more than one dealership in your area.
BaNaNaBoy69 is offline   Canada
      05-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power

Drives: 135i

I had something similar happen to my car, the comfort access module failed. It has to be built and coded for your car in Germany, expensive item without warranty.
      05-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #4
wlchan3

BaNaNaBoy69 I bought my car in 08 so warrantee is over. I went to the dealership for a recall item and ask them to look at my flickering light. They charged me a diagnostic fee because it was out of warrantee and told me I needed to change my bulb because apparently I touched the bulb and the oil on my finger is causing the issue. I paid the fee, took it home, and open the panel to find the connection to the bulb was loose. Plugged it back in snugly and no more issues. I spent $80 + 6hrs at the dealership for a simple diagnostic + recall issue.......so I hate my dealership. sorry long story

TwinTurboed What other symptoms did you have? It seems like the module still detects the key, but just doesn't recognize it.
      05-21-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
TwinTurboed
Turbo Power

Drives: 135i

I had the driver side handle stop working completely, but the passenger side was working fine. So they just replaced the drivers side handle, but two weeks later, both sides stopped working completely.

That is when they figured the module was the issue.

On a separate note, how did you that with our username on your post?
      05-22-2014, 12:23 AM   #6
wlchan3

TwinTurboed You just need to add a "@" in front of the name.