E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Noise question...

01-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep
Drives: White Lightning

Engine Noise question...

When I am in neutral, with the clutch not depressed, my engine sounds like a mini-helicopter. When I depress the cluth, the noise goes away. I have 6MT. You cannot hear it over the radio or when the engine is being used (i.e. I am moving). Is this normal for the engine to sound different/louder when the clutch is not engaged and you are in idle?

Also, there are tiny shudders every so often from my car. I've already had my fuel pump replaced to the new model. If any of that helps. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/thoughts.
      01-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
sdeprima
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

The noise is normal. Its just chatter from the flywheel when in neutral. You depress the clutch, the flywheel disengages, the chatter stops. You put it in gear, the flywheel engages the transmission, the chatter stops. No worries.

About the idle, my car does it also. Never had the fuel pump replaced, but every once in a while, at idle, my car's rpms will stumble for like a second and then go back to normal. Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I'm not sure if it is a problem or not.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeprima View Post
The noise is normal. Its just chatter from the flywheel when in neutral. You depress the clutch, the flywheel disengages, the chatter stops. You put it in gear, the flywheel engages the transmission, the chatter stops. No worries.

About the idle, my car does it also. Never had the fuel pump replaced, but every once in a while, at idle, my car's rpms will stumble for like a second and then go back to normal. Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but I'm not sure if it is a problem or not.
That's good to know. The first part is exactly what I am talking about. The second, on the shudders, my rpm's do not move, the car just slightly shudders every 10 sec or so during idle.
      01-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

First clutch? How many miles?
      01-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
slubu
Never Go Full Retard
Rep