E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Modding for Dummies

02-06-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

Modding for Dummies

Hey Guys,

Im fairly new to these forums and I picked up my 335i a couple of months ago. I am slowly being sucked into the modding scene and I've trying to read threads and trying to understand what certains mods do, their results,what is available and the different companies that make them.

I am looking for a FAQ, or just a general guide to follow for newbies like me, in different intakes, exhausts, chips, and other modifications available to us.

In terms of chips, im all confused between a JB2, JB3, Procede V1, V3 Procede Maps, whatever it is....

A simple list, descriping what it is, what it does, pros/cons of all mods listed for the 335i would be sickness.

Thanks for understanding, im just starting to get some knowledge about mods for our cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:06 AM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

I think the best way to start would be a Tune (either the JB3 or Procede) and a Dual Cone Intake.

These are probably the best mods to begin with as they will transform the car. If you so choose you can continue modding with exhaust, intercooler, down pipes, etc, but all those yield marginal results as compared to a Tune..

I won't get into which Tune is best for you, but do some research, and I would focus on the JB3 and the Procede V3-RevII as those are arguably the best most popular tunes right now.

Good luck

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
xsb00st
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow

There's a sticky that lists all (or a lot) of the goodies you can put on your 335i. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90706

It's not 100% or up-to-date, but it's pretty comprehensive. Have fun and be safe!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Definitely check out this sticky since there is lot out there.

Then you have to decide what tune you want to try.

If you are completely hands off you can get a flash from Dinan ~50whp gain
SSTT is a simple plug in no tools necessary ~35whp gain but very noticeable because of the torque.
If you can use a screwdriver you can get ~ 100whp gain with a piggy back tune like Procede V3 PNP, and from what I have observed on this forum this seems to be the hands down winner in terms of driving experience and throttle response, I don't have this tune yet, but maybe some day....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
scheherazade
Major
Rep
Drives: 09 GTR (& 93' accord!)

If you want to be safe do :

BMS or Vishnu dual cone intake (makes it easier for turbos to suck air, so they spin slower for same results)
[there are tons of fancier options for intake too]

Forge or Riss Racing Diverter Valves (helps keep you from getting a boost leak, and from damaging your turbos)

FMIC (keeps intake air cooler, making you need less boost for the same power, saving wear and tear on your turbos)

For longevity do :

catch can (keeps you from sucking burnt oil into your intake)

oil cooler (keeps your engine temperatures down, and the turbos are water+oil cooled, so they will thank you too.)

For performance, start with :

JB3 or Procede piggy back ECU (runs your turbos and fuel system harder do you get more power)

Then do :

Downpipes (quicker turbo spool, less back pressure)

Full exhaust (quicker turbo spool, less back pressure)

-scheherazade
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
Dr_Dirt
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i 6AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheherazade View Post
If you want to be safe do :

BMS or Vishnu dual cone intake (makes it easier for turbos to suck air, so they spin slower for same results)
[there are tons of fancier options for intake too]

Forge or Riss Racing Diverter Valves (helps keep you from getting a boost leak, and from damaging your turbos)

FMIC (keeps intake air cooler, making you need less boost for the same power, saving wear and tear on your turbos)

For longevity do :

catch can (keeps you from sucking burnt oil into your intake)

oil cooler (keeps your engine temperatures down, and the turbos are water+oil cooled, so they will thank you too.)

For performance, start with :

JB3 or Procede piggy back ECU (runs your turbos and fuel system harder do you get more power)

Then do :

Downpipes (quicker turbo spool, less back pressure)

Full exhaust (quicker turbo spool, less back pressure)

-scheherazade
Do the dual cone intakes generate extra noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
nick6753
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
Do the dual cone intakes generate extra noise?
Not much, you can hear the turbos spool a little better, but it's nothing overbearing or annoying. I don't see it getting old.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

look into the ESS flash too.
      02-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #9
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Awesome replies, keep it coming!

A little off topic, but my only concern is the warranty,all this is tempting but what's the point IF it voids ur warranty with BMW. Isn't there some sort of law/act stating that if they can determine that it was the modification that caused the problem they cannot void the warranty?? What IF BMW saw a dual cone air intake and told me that they are NOT going to touch my car because of that?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
poloace
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi coupe

what kind of gains do you see with the dual cone intake?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #11
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Dirt View Post
Definitely check out this sticky since there is lot out there.

Then you have to decide what tune you want to try.

If you are completely hands off you can get a flash from Dinan ~50whp gain
SSTT is a simple plug in no tools necessary ~35whp gain but very noticeable because of the torque.
If you can use a screwdriver you can get ~ 100whp gain with a piggy back tune like Procede V3 PNP, and from what I have observed on this forum this seems to be the hands down winner in terms of driving experience and throttle response, I don't have this tune yet, but maybe some day....
Whats the difference between the Dinan and SSTT,or the ESS??? Are they competitors to the JB3 and v3? just different companies that make the same thing with different HP/TQ gains?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloace View Post
what kind of gains do you see with the dual cone intake?
Depending if you're stock or tuned, and if tuned which tune/which map

5-20hp/tq

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Depending if you're stock or tuned, and if tuned which tune/which map

5-20hp/tq

Mike

So 5 if stock and if tuned (i.e. V3, JB3,etc...) then we are looking at 20hp gain?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman335 View Post
So 5 if stock and if tuned (i.e. V3, JB3,etc...) then we are looking at 20hp gain?
Basically

Stock 5-10
Tuned 10-20

Its hard to get an accurate number, as dynoing does not necessarily reflect the true gains from an intake, which is why I recommend getting a simple cost effective dual cone intake.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #15
nick6753
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Awesome replies, keep it coming!

A little off topic, but my only concern is the warranty,all this is tempting but what's the point IF it voids ur warranty with BMW. Isn't there some sort of law/act stating that if they can determine that it was the modification that caused the problem they cannot void the warranty?? What IF BMW saw a dual cone air intake and told me that they are NOT going to touch my car because of that?
I actually talked with my service advisor about this last week. Mods such as intake, exhaust, etc. USUALLY only void the part that was modified. In this case, stock airbox and stock exhaust system. It is kind of a gray area because it can also void the warranty of other parts if they can prove that the mod caused another problem. He gave me an example of someone who came in a few weeks ago with a CEL and he had just put on an aftermarket intake. Turns out that the intake was what caused the CEL. (not sure what brand). The SA said he ended up getting updated to 32.1 and it caused the CEL to go out, so he didn't get charged for the service. If the update had not fixed the problem, he would have been charged.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

My priorities:

1) tires. Get extreme performance non-rfts. Sell or save the OEMs.
2) wheels. Get lightweight forged rims. Sell or save the OEMs. Use to mount snows.
3) steering wheel, shift knob -- I really like the M-sport stuff. Great value, something you notice every drive
4) tunes -- Procede, ESS flash, ... Big issue here with warranty though.
5) shocks & springs -- BMW Performance good deal, coilovers nice.
6) intake
7) exhaust
8) LSD -- expensive mod, Quaife mandatory mod in rainy places like England.
9) Further suspension mods -- M3 control arms, sway bars, ...
10) weight reduction (battery etc.)

You can easily spend $10 - 15k. and little or none of it will increase resale. Very expensive hobby.

The 335 is a fantastic car out of the box. Fully modded it is a beast with near-exotic performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #17
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Quick question:

So the JB3 and V2 are comparably in terms of hp/tq gains? From what I did my research on,the JB3 is like $585 and V2 Procede is more than $1000

Why would someone want to get the SSTT? That seems like a quick easy mod,not too expensive, and adds good amount of hp/tq.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

The best thing for you to do is arrange to meet up with some people and see for yourself which better suits you. The deatils of a tune written on paper only tell half the story. The other half is in the drive.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #19
rooster3.0
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Check Engine Light
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #20
Slidewayz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Since I'm also a 335i noob (but have already got the PROcede & SSK), I have a question about the intake mod.

Doesn't the dual cone intake have a design flaw since it is sucking in hot air from the engine compartment instead of CAI-style from the front of the car like the OEM intake?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:09 PM   #21
nick6753
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidewayz View Post
Since I'm also a 335i noob (but have already got the PROcede & SSK), I have a question about the intake mod.

Doesn't the dual cone intake have a design flaw since it is sucking in hot air from the engine compartment instead of CAI-style from the front of the car like the OEM intake?

No, that is what the intercooler is for. There have been several discussions about this. Search the forums for a more detailed explanation. There have been a few tests done about this that proves it.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Hey Guys,

Im fairly new to these forums and I picked up my 335i a couple of months ago. I am slowly being sucked into the modding scene and I've trying to read threads and trying to understand what certains mods do, their results,what is available and the different companies that make them.

I am looking for a FAQ, or just a general guide to follow for newbies like me, in different intakes, exhausts, chips, and other modifications available to us.

In terms of chips, im all confused between a JB2, JB3, Procede V1, V3 Procede Maps, whatever it is....

A simple list, descriping what it is, what it does, pros/cons of all mods listed for the 335i would be sickness.

Thanks for understanding, im just starting to get some knowledge about mods for our cars.
The sickness:

Forget PROcede v1,v2 or jb1 or jb2. Older gen tunes. We've all moved on since then considerably.

PROcede v3 PnP
Pros: Best drivability, best engine response, off-boost gas mileage/torque improvements, great power, user adjustability, remote control mapswitch, speed-delimiter, active timing control, data-logging, free software update-ability, new features added/unlocked regularly.
Cons: $945 which is ~$360 more than competition

JB3 PnP
Pros: Inexpensive ($585), great power, map switching between 7 maps with gas pedal.
Cons: New maps involve replacing a physical chip which costs a little $ and involves shipping, questionable timing control, limited upgrade path without entire system replacement.

The extra features (datalogging, free updates, speed delimiter, etc,.) of the PROcede may or may not be important to you. So that means the only critical difference is how both tunes drive. And for that, you will need to test drive them both and see if the benefits of the PROcede are worth the extra $360. It's also a possibility that you may even prefer the more on/off nature (relatively speaking) of the JB3.

Disclaimer: I am the developer of the PROcede. So one could easily argue that I'm a bit biased. On the other hand, one could argue that I've done more in-depth testing than anyone else on this forum

Shiv

Last edited by OpenFlash; 02-06-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: recent Jb3 price drop
Appreciate 0