E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turner Motor Sport Exhaust - Opinions?

04-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #1
desean81
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i Coupé

Turner Motor Sport Exhaust - Opinions?

Hey everyone. Just have a quick question for anyone out there with the TMS exhaust for the 335i. I've been considering an exhaust for awhile now and I think I've made my decision with TMS. I'd like to hear pros and cons for it, and opinions on the sound levels, drone, etc.

Anyone who owns this exhaust or has heard it in person, I'd love to hear from you. I appreciate the help!

Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
desean81
Rep

Damn, no one?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #3
markham335i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

guess thats a hint its shitty? hahaa never heard it before
Upgrades: <Cobb V3, DCI, BMS downpipes, ER charge pipe, Forge DV, bbs ch-r, 30%tint all around, bmw performance exhaust, umnitza V4 angel eyes>.....Next upgrades (I would like):intercooler, BBK, turbo upgrade....etc....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
desean81
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham335i View Post
Not that I'm taking insult to what you said - but there aren't many people who own Bugatti Veyron's either but that doesn't hint at the fact that its a shitty car. There are other factors at play. Perhaps that's the case here too.

Anyone with useful answers to my question please chime in. Although thanks to markham335i for bumping my thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
TwnTrboCAT1212
The Moose Whisperer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 GIAC S1 335xi 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by markham335i View Post
^^

OP...I'm actually running the Turner exhaust on my E92 335Xi and I couldn't be happier with it! The ONLY thing I'll complain about is that the exhaust came with really shitty clamps (which may not be the case anymore since I got the system a year and a half ago) and I had a few leaks at the connecting points of each exhaust section because the clamps seem cheap, But once my shop fixed the leaks with additional exhaust sealant after install, I've been problem free with it ever since. The overall build quality of the exhaust itself is very good, the fitment is great and the sound is gives off is amazing and unique IMO. It's loud and aggressive sounding in and around town or when you're really getting on it, but not annoying by any means..it's just loud enough to turn heads and for people to question whether such a good and exotic sound actually came out of a BMW...

Even more amazing is that there is literally NO DRONE while driving on the highway and actually in some ways is quieter than stock while cruising at speed. Even tho it's louder off of the highway, it still doesn't drone or is in anyway intrusive or obnoxious in the cabin to me or my passengers. Under spirited driving, you can still carry on a normal conversation with your passengers or on bluetooth without a problem. Also, this exhaust really magnifies the awesome gurgling and popping sounds that the stock exhaust provides and makes me want to drive with the windows down all of the time because it sounds so cool. The appearance of the exhaust out the back of the car is very nice as well with the big adjustable tips and just enough of the single muffler hanging down for people behind you to know that it's not stock. In addition, if you are running a tune, you WILL get a noticeable increase in power and throttle response in combination with this particular exhaust (primarily due to the elimination of your secondary cats and with the piping being a bit bigger than stock allowing for better overall exhaust flow I'm assuming).

Overall, I would really recommend this exhaust and even though it's clearly not popular among members of this forum, that in no way means it's a poorly made or bad exhaust in any way. It's actually among the best in quality and sound that I've seen and heard from the available exhausts for 335's (my Friends all agree) and frankly I'm surprised no one else seems to be running this exhaust (esp. since Turner is such a highly reputable BMW tuner with an outstanding track record on the BMW racing scene which clearly shows you they know what they're doing). While it may be a little steeper in price compared to other exhausts out there, I think you would be quite happy with this system in addition to being one of the few people out there with one! (which is neat in itself) Anyway, hope this helped. Let me know if you have any further questions.

~Chris~
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Turner is legit, not sure about this particular exhaust but overall, good people. More track race oriented than anything else, and thats a good thing.
      04-08-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Turner is a very good company and they typically don't sell junk, but the fact that I have not seen many people running their exhaust on several boards tells me something is off.

The HKS is a great exhaust system for the 335 and makes more power than most systems currently out. The build quality is very good and the price is reasonable (~$1,600).

There are several other exhaust alternatives that various people on this board are running and you can contact them (after searching/reading first) for their opinions.

You might even be able to find someone in YOUR area that has an aftermarket exhaust so you can hear it in person (best bet).

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
neilvosko
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e92 FBO

thanks for the review. i've been eyeing turner, but now will pull the trigger.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Please post sound clips as that is the one I am eyeing too. Turner certainly has a tremendous rep in the BMW community so I'm sure it's top notch. I just want something that not many 335i are running around with.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #10
smack
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW's/Flex Polishers

When I was searching for an exhaust for my 335i I wantes something from a reputable company that deals primarily with BMW's and not a company that makes an exhaust for everything under the sun such as Borla or Magnaflow and something that would not break the bank. I looked at vangaurd but never really heard much of a back ground about them besides many people on this forum run their exhaust. Dinan is a waste of hard earned money as they want $2K for an axle back. (Are you fucking kidding me!)

I ended up looking at three systems in the end. AA, HKS, Turner. I pretty much eliminated the HKS right off the bat. There is nothing wrong with there setup and its a beautiful piece but for me Jap parts have no place on a German auto mobile Same with wheels. (I know I will be flamed but what the hell, such is life) So I chose the Turner piece as its made in house but their techs that have a wonderfull racing background. Im not knocking the AA unit at all but I wanted the lightest piece and the Turner system utilizes a single small muffler at the rear when the AA uses two small bullet mufflers.

Also not many people run the Turner system and I like being different. Im content with the sound and performance the exhaust made. I highly recommend it
Appreciate 1
Tippin0.00
      12-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #11
Shellacked135i
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 09 335xi

Turner is legit. Not alot of people running it because there is not vendors marketing it and people buy into name brand garbage sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #12
bigdnno98
Real Car Enthusiast
Germany
Rep
Drives: 340xi

Yeah I found some sound clips and will be getting TMS when I get exhaust. Too bad I missed out on the used one they had for sale a couple of months ago. It was a pretty good deal.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #13
desean81
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdnno98 View Post
Yeah I found some sound clips and will be getting TMS when I get exhaust. Too bad I missed out on the used one they had for sale a couple of months ago. It was a pretty good deal.
You won't be disappointed. I pulled the trigger back in the spring when they had their sale on and got a great deal. I'm really happy with the exhaust. It's got just enough rumble down low and a great exotic-ish sound (although still very BMW sounding) up high. The clamp issue that another person posted about appears to have been resolved as I didn't have any issues with the clamps and they appear to be well built.

Be aware, even though Turner does state that they did their best to eliminate drone - it still has it. In my opinion any aftermarket exhaust that's designed to be louder than factory will have drone as the auto manufacturers tune the hell out of their exhausts and interiors to eliminate this. Any change to one or the other can make it worse. The drone in this particular exhaust is most noticeable at around 80-90 km/h in sixth gear (6MT transmission). At the moment I'm not sure where that puts the RPMs but it's definitely the sweet spot where drone shows up. That being said, it almost completely disappears over 100km/h and is a VERY respectable highway driving exhaust. Once you get on the throttle though there's no doubt it's not factory as it gets louder and louder (and better sounding!) the higher in the RPMs you go.

All in all I'd highly recommend it - one season in and I'm still loving it.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Isn't Turner's exhaust manufactured by Corsa? If so, I've read that it's a good one.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0