08-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #80
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrdude3 View Post
First off I wanna say that being in these forum I am slightly biased towards the 1 but I will try my best to be fair. I purchased a pre-owned 128i 6MT with 6k miles on it at a great price so I'm sure you will find one if you choose to go with the 1. Also I only drove stick once or twice before I bought my car and learned how the car really works within a week. I have driven it from philly to miami twice and it has been in the shop for a month. My loaner was a 2011 328i automatic so heres my comparison:

The 128i has amazing turning radius and noticeably tighter then the 328i given the shorter chassis. The feel is much lower to the ground then the 328i and much sportier in my opinion. However the comfort of the car is not compromised and long road trips are still very enjoyable. I made my trips in one shot only stopping for gas from philly to miami. If you love to drive a lot then the 128i may be up your ally. The best way I can describe the car is that it works telepathically, you have complete control over the car and you can make it do whatever you need it to do. All the "joy" adds make sense when you drive it because it really is a fun ride.

As for the 328i auto, after a month of driving and 1,300 miles later I feel that its a great overall car. It has speed when you need it, mostly in sport mode or tiptronic, but definitely not as peppy or "energetic" as the 128i may seem. The ride is a bit smoother and higher. The first thing I noticed when I left my car and jumped in the 328i was the added space. I'm only 5'10 so I am completely at ease in my 1 but appreciated the added shoulder room. If you're lugging your buddies around like Turtle then the 3 would be better but no one buys a car for someone else's pleasure now do they? The 128i is a little more intimate so to speak in the cabin and the connection to the feel of the road is the same. the one series is like a 20 yr old super model, fun to go fast in and enjoyable every time where as the 3 series is that same model 10 years later, just a little bigger and a little heavier.

If I were you I would search for the best deal because you can't go wrong with either car. Best of luck!
qq this thread was so long ago buddy.