09-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
All-season tires do not belong on 300hp rear wheel drive sports coupes.
Why not? It's not like it's a high performance car with great handling. It's a moderately quick and comfortable GT car. I put Michelin A/S on ours, as my M Coupe has PS2's and we needed something that could handle snow when we go to see family. They suit the car in my opinion. They handle about the same as the stock RFT's ride a ton better, especially over expansion strips and wear like iron. Plus they handle snow fine and provided you shift early and go easy on the right pedal, the 135i is actually quite easy to drive in snow and ice.

Sure, it's easy to light them up, and they will squeal a bit if you really get on it in first, but so would the stock Bridgestones. Sure, I know that it would be a little crisper with PSS or similar tires, but that would just further expose the middling handling of the 1er. If you're trying to get every ounce of handling out of the car, then of course two sets of tires, one summer and one proper set of winters would be ideal, but for all around purposes, which I personally think is more of the focus of the 135i, they strike a reasonable sacrifice.
Appreciate 0