11-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #32
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
The LL-01 test mainly adds the need for long oil life above other oil quality tests, so a non-LL-01 oil may not have suitable properties over a 25,000km/15,000mile life. Changing a non-LL-01 oil more frequently than the BMW recommended interval would be advisable. If the car is still warranted by BMW, then using a non-LL-01 oil could void your warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolader View Post
This is exactly the reason why only LL-01 oil is used in my car. When I am out of warranty, will I use something else? Probably, but until then, she only drinks the expensive kool aid.
That's the theory, of course.
In practice one can achieve the same goal, as mentioned above, by changing oil more often.
That's what I do. During warranty, I let the dealership change the oil at their specified interval. At mid mark, I throw in my own oil change. I don't see how a non-LL-01 oil (given the right viscosity) can be bad since it's an extra oil change, above and beyond the recommendation.
Even out of warranty, if I use only non-LL-01, I'm changing oils twice as often. Oil longevity is simply not an issue.
My reason for doing this isn't even that I don't trust the oil will last that long. I don't trust the filter will last 15K miles.
Appreciate 0