MuNkY6913
The Crowing
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.00]
Fog light rewiring for radar detector

alright dan and mad dragon. i got an issue you two might be able to help me out on. i did the fog light mod to my, as you called it dan, LCM, or light switch to you mad dragon. so both buttons work and i now have rear fog lights. i have the M-sport bumper so no front fog lights. when both buttons are pressed, both the rear and front fog light symbols appear in the dash to indicate that they are on. what my original plan was is to wire my radar detector into the front fog light wiring so when i pressed my front fog light button the radar detector would come on. after 3-4 hours of trying to get this to work i ended up routing it into the fuse box. i started off by trying to splice it directly to the wires coming from the switch. in order to do that i needed to know which wire carried the current when that button was pressed. couldn't find crap as far as wiring diagrams for the switch. so i got fed up with searching the internet and took the switch apart and examined the board to see where the paths took me from the contact points for that button. after doing that for a bit i thought i had found out which one it was. so i put the switch back in the car and melt the rubber casing around the wire i thought carried the current for that button and pushed it back a little bit. i hooked up the radar, grounded it and nothing. so i said screw it. started going through all 9 wires that came from the switch, melting the case around the wire and splicing in and pressing the button to see if it works, but none did. so im 6 wires deep and it hits me. its not like the switches of old, it only send a short signal to the (FRM that mad dragon spoke of) footwell module that the button was pressed. so there's no way that switch would power the detector. i know i'm and idiot, but i learned. so i remelted the rubber around all the wires and slid it back over and taped it well. after a few more hours of looking through the internet i combined a few diagrams and started ripping out all of the panels in my footwell to get to the footwell module. so i got to it and removed the bottom of the two plugs coming out of the back. the wires coming from the light switch combined with others into one plug that plugs into the front. supposedly the bottom plug on the back has the wire that goes to the fog lights to turn them on. after combining a few diagrams i believe the wire in slot 3 of that plug goes to the fog lights. so i looked at it and my car doesn't have a wire in slot 3. not even sure if there is a pin coming out of the footwell module to power a wire if it were in slot 3. i bought my car in England from the factory in Germany and it was shipped to England and i brought it back here. i'm wondering if most 135i's have the wiring that is supposed to be there or is there a kit or something that if you wanted fog lights in the front you would have install. hopefully my incompetence continued and i just found the wrong wire and this can still be done. any info you guys or anyone reading this can give will be much appreciated. sorry for how long this is and the thread hijack.

2009 135i : BMS JB4 G5 ISO,CXRacing FMIC Kit,Injen Cold Air Intake,Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe,Walboro Inline Fuel Pump, E85 BMS Backend Flash w/ 60% E85,BMS Meth injection (trunkmount),BMS dual meth nozzles,Spec stage 2+ clutch w/ steel SWFW,BMS Catless Downpipes,Berk Tech Race Axleback
Appreciate 0