View Single Post
      09-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #301
Rockchops
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post
Interior quality, I've been in VW's with better quality trim. Also the interior in general feels a bit outdated but that's understandable considering how long this car has been in production.
VW has superb quality for its segment and competition, but nowhere close to the 1er. I drove a mk6 GTI for 2 years before trading it for this. It was nice, the interior probably its biggest selling point for a $22k car. Even the CC was about on par with it in terms of design and quality. Spend a lot of time in a VW and you'll start to see where they cut corners with materials and such. All the hard plastics in mine squeaked after a year or so, typically around the fasteners -- have to imagine the body flex didn't help. Switches looked nice but were a bit flimsy and cheap feeling (aside from the windows, those switches felt great). The only place the 1 resembles that sort of cheap feeling is in the steering wheel buttons, which just don't feel high quality. I would say however, that the Audi interiors I've been in have felt better than the 1.

VW interiors are just well designed so a lot of people simply don't notice the areas in which they compromised cost.
Appreciate 0