Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg View Post
Hi there,

I've read this thread with much interest, because I am taking a holiday in both Switzerland and Italy soon. I was wondering if it was wise to drive in Switzerland - particularly driving from Zurich to Como.

For Italy I've been warned to only drive in Tuscany. Any tips for a foreign driver? How does this vignette thing work in Suisse particularly for car rentals?
I have driven all over both Switzerland and Italy AND Europe for that matter. Its safe. I am not quite sure what you mean by you were "warned" ???

I feel that the Italian's know how to drive better than the Swiss though. Also in Switzerland they seem to hate the car culture. The Swiss are very Green and like electric cars. Also in Switzerland the speed limit is rather low: 80 kph on back(country) roads and 120 kph on their Autobahns(highways). The Swiss are also crazy about Blitz-ing(photo radar) traffic. I have even seen Blitzer's for loud exhaust systems on cars! No joke. Also... IF the Swiss catch you speeding more than 40 kph over the limit... they CAN(and WILL) take you car. As in you never get it back!

My advice would be to stay at nice hotels and park your car in the Hotel's garage. Not on the public street.

Actually as I write this post I am in Geneva and after the Autosalon(show) I plan on driving into Northern Italy - to visit some new Auto museums.

Dackel
Appreciate 0