View Single Post
      06-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

I have used both. I currently have the AD08s in 19s as my " vanity... car show " wheels... and I have had RS-3 (version 1) in the past on my 18" autocross/ track wheels.

First off. the RS3 is absolutely a better tire for competition. I autocrossed the AD08s once and find no reason to do so again. That funky tread doesnt do anything for an autocross lap times.

both tires are directional so they have to be flipped for better wear...

The RS-3s are an excellent tire for track duty. The turn in of these tires is nothing short of amazing. They literally have better turn in than An all out R tire. Grip is impressive and feels like an R tire for the first 10-15 minutes of a session and then they get a little looser.. They don't really overheat... don't get " greasy" at least not like most street tires. Just keep in mind.. that they are not R tires... you just might forget.

On the street.. RS-3s are fine. Great in the dry of course... I have heard many rumors of them being bad in the wet. When mine were at or below the wear bars I drove 75 miles to and from an autocross with rain on the way home. It was a little bit of a white knuckle ride.. (mostly mentally).. but not bad. So if you get caught in a rainstorm ** slow down ** ... but it's not like the car will slide off any road.

The AD08s are a good street tire that can be tracked. While I got them for vanity use... Inevitably there came sime times when I was being lazy at the track and not wanting to swap wheels so just went out on the street tires, I have run them several sessions on different tracks. These tires are surprisingly sticky and they seem to get stickier with more and more track duty.... And probably more so as the tread wears down. They will even pick up rocks and gravel in a parking lot after you have been on track.. perhaps for the next several days! They are ok in the rain... but realistically not a lot better than the RS-3s in the wet. Unlike many other street tires that can be tracked (PS2 and PSS come to mind).. they do not over heat.. they do not CHUNK.. and they do no delaminate, which cannot be said about the michelins. While I never overheated my own michelins.. I have been in cars on track where they were pretty much torn up.

I think the biggest (read: pretty much only) advantage of the Yokos over the RS-3s is going to be a small amount of wet grip and probably more life overall. I would never expect to get more than 8-10K of street miles from a set of RS-3s whereas you could probably get double that or more from the Yokos.

If you truly need a summer/ track only tire... go for the RS-3s. However.. Saving $200 bucks on set of tires is not an insignificant amount.. (at least it isnt to me!) so no shame in your game if you go with the Yokos.

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 06-27-2014 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 1